Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:35 AM   #351

Please don't shoot me, I don't know how I'm missing it but I can not find the Wivdows XP Patch for SDHC. Anyone have the link please. :?I almost think M$ is hiding the patch link.

BTW: I called Office Depot and told them that I tried to get their SanDisk 4GB SDHC with the reader for $29.99 but server was busy (black friday) and the nice supervisor came on the phone and let me get qty. 2 of the SanDisk Ultra II 4GB with reader for $29.99 (reg. $85). Never know worth a try. And thank you for those that replied about the price adjustment on Amazon.com but seems I missed the boat as price went up.

visorblue:Wish I hadyour creativity
Prince Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:51 AM   #352

evert wrote:
Quote:
I've ordered mine as well now, at Scandinavian Photo. It should arrive shortly...

I can hardly wait!

A word of warning about Scandinavian Photo... Their customer service ignores any emails written in English, for some vague reason... :?
evert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:09 AM   #353

Prince Lynx wrote:
Quote:
visorblue:Wish I hadyour creativity
Which creativity? The goofy, but still functional, wide angle adapter -- friend calls it the "slingshot mount", or the stuff on my HD700 web gallery? Thanks, either way.

Uploaded some of the stuff to YouTube yesterday. Whoa, what a quality drop. Surfed for hours reading assorted times and uploaded the same clip eight times varying settings as I read articles. Got one that looked decent so I uploaded the rest with those settings, they look terrible. Sheesh. :shock:

One of the reasons I bought this camera has come to pass, I shoot a lot more video than ever before now that there's a camera in my pocket. While I was waiting for them to prepare my lunch yesterday I shoot some video of the people working at Jack in the Box. No heavy bag of gear to lug around or setup. Love it!

I bought a microSD card for my PDA that came with a SDHC USB reader. However, I just use mine in the dock and it works fine. Don't really plan to remove the 8GB card from the camera.

I didn't read or try this but found this just for you, Prince Lynx:

"Hotfix for Windows XP that adds support for SDHC cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428

visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:17 AM   #354

Outrageous wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:

Be sure to select 'Original' sizing to get an idea of the detail this camera can pick up.

Thanks for the photo examples. Have you noticed that the left side of your photos are consistently "softer" than the right side? I think it is an "idiosyncracy" of the lens--mostly a result of chromatic aberration (notice color fringing). Has anyone else noticed this result with their HD700's? You might try getting out of Program mode, since the camera likes to keep the lens at full-open aperture (which maximizes lens deficiencies) even when using shutter speeds over 1/300 seconds. You should be able to hand hold at the equivalent exposure a couple of stops down. The aberration effect does add a dream-like quality to the photos though, which is interesting and almost "artistic".
I guess I haven't. I am still not sure I can see it. Can you give an example of one of my photos where it is particularly pronounced so I can see what you mean? After all, if it's a defect then I may have to send it back!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:16 AM   #355

This thread has covered a lot of topics by a lot of users, but I'll go ahead and apologize forjumping back to an earlier topic.

I've followed this thread (as a guest) since about the time it was on p. 8, and I recently purchased an hd700 based on people's experiences and when it went down to 299 at Amazon. I was prepared for underwhelming performance in low light, in terms of noise and resolution, and I generally dismissed many of the reviewers that didn'thave enough knowledge to make reasonable adjustments fortheir complaints.

What has surprised and disappointed me the most is the constantly hunting for focus in low light. This hunting happens even in situations that should not be so challenging as to never allow a steady focus -- i.e. what I would call moderate indoor lighting. (Outdoor and fully-lit indoor performance is good.)

I've tried all combinations of focus settings and adjustments, including those recommended in this and other threads. The only way I have found to stop the hunting is to put it in manual focus and set it for about 1.5 - 2 meters focus range. Although that will actually give you more in-focus content than you'd expect, and covers most of a room, it clearly has some down sides.

My questions would be

1. whether folks have had similar experiences (and have found solutions that are not already covered);

2. whether this may be a "bad copy" of an hd700 and a more pronounced problem for my device as compared to others;

3. and whether the CG6 has appreciably better low light performance than the hd700? (I've watched the guy's helpful video review on youtube.)

I recognize that it may be impossible to judge having no real footage, but am curious as to opinions. Thanks. DC Michael
DC Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:27 PM   #356

I'm certainly no expert, but I think it's safe to say that your unit is not defective, and what you're experiencing is just the nature of the beast... I too have reverted to manual focus in low light situations. I find this tends to keep the image cleaner artifact wise as well. I suspect that when the cam doesn't have to focus hunt, it has a cleaner image to encode to mp4, hence the cleaner output (from a graininess point of view). I also have been setting my ISO level manually for low light shooting. As was stated before in this forum, left on auto in a low light situation, the ISO level can jump way up. To me, video taken with the HD700 over ISO 400 in low light is just far too grainy to be useful.

Take it with a grain of salt, as I'm a new owner of the HD700 myself and by no means a photography expert. I got my HD700 during the $299 Amazon deal knowing the cams shortcomings and limitations going into it. Overall, for what I'm able to achieve from experimenting with the settings and the info from this forum, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Now if I could just find a nice horizontal holster style camera case, that lens cap and lanyard are gone! :G

fgullama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:42 PM   #357

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Outrageous wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the photo examples. Have you noticed that the left side of your photos are consistently "softer" than the right side? I think it is an "idiosyncracy" of the lens--mostly a result of chromatic aberration (notice color fringing).
I guess I haven't. I am still not sure I can see it. Can you give an example of one of my photos where it is particularly pronounced so I can see what you mean? After all, if it's a defect then I may have to send it back!
It's hard to pick a best example, but let's try using the one on the top right with the little palm trees. Click on "original" size and "full exif". This was taken at 1/237 sec. at f/3.5 (wide open). Look down the left edge at the gravel and then compare with the gravel on the right edge--it's a bit sharper. For an example of chromatic aberration, look in the top right corner at the diagonal white pole. The right edge of the pole is purplish and the left edge is greenish. You can see this chromatic aberration other placeson edges of thingsonce you know what you're looking for. For another example photo, look at the previous one of the gravel and compare left and right sides.
Outrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:44 PM   #358

Thanks, fgullama,

This is reassuring -- not that the focus in low light is lame, but that it's not just my cam. I think the most irritating possibility would be that I got a bum unit and had to hassle with switching out.

I agree about anything above iso 400 being unusable. I have actually shot some manual setting shots at iso 200 in low light. The noise is considerably less, but it's much darker. Yet it's actually a much more realistic rendition of the situation I was shooting, which is sometimes just fine, depending on the scene.
DC Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:59 PM   #359

Happy holidayz again, if others are reading the sale is back on again for a limited time.

at Amazon one color
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:22 PM   #360

DC Michael wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, fgullama,

This is reassuring -- not that the focus in low light is lame, but that it's not just my cam. I think the most irritating possibility would be that I got a bum unit and had to hassle with switching out.

I agree about anything above iso 400 being unusable. I have actually shot some manual setting shots at iso 200 in low light. The noise is considerably less, but it's much darker. Yet it's actually a much more realistic rendition of the situation I was shooting, which is sometimes just fine, depending on the scene.
I have to admit that if I had purchased this for the full $500 or more price it would already be on it's way back, but since I basically got it for $299 after the $100 refund, it may be enough to get me to keep it since the video during the daytime is pretty good I have to say. One good thing about a purchase around this time of year is that we get an extended return period into the new year.

The sensor and optics seem to be almost identical to the HD2 apart from the HD2 has 10x instead of 5x. So how does the HD700 compare to the HD2? I don't remember there being mentioned barrel distortion to the same degree as the HD700.

Anyone have both the HD2 and HD700 and can describe the differences or similarities in performance? ie is the HD700 not much difference or is the HD2 superior?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote