Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:21 AM   #31

flowbee wrote:
Quote:
Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:

Caelum,

Quick question for you...

I just discovered my HD1000 can't record with the LCD closed, which S-U-C-K-S for me. My CG65 can record while the screen is closed, just as long as you press record and get it recording before shutting the LCD panel.

Can the HD700 record with the LCD shut?

(Given the HD1000, I'm not confident that HD700 is any different, which would be a bummer for certain applications.)

If you cant record without using the LCD, Cant you flip it 180 degrees so its flush against the body of the camera so its like the LCD is shut, just that the lcd display is facing out instead of in?
Yes, which was already discussed around these parts, but that defeats the point of doing it, which is being discrete (which a bright LCD shining is not) and extending battery life (which won't happen when the LCD is on). They shouldn't have removed that feature from the CG65, or at least they should have made it optional, cause it seems I'm not the only one bummed about it.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:29 PM   #32

I'm with you on that.

I'm just wondering how much better the video quality will be compared to the Aiptek GO-HD 720P camera. Its considerably less money than the Sanyo and I saw it for sale at Target for $120 or so. I'm on 56K so can't download too many sample videos to get an idea of the difference....
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:53 PM   #33

flowbee wrote:
Quote:
I'm just wondering how much better the video quality will be compared to the Aiptek GO-HD 720P camera. Its considerably less money than the Sanyo and I saw it for sale at Target for $120 or so. I'm on 56K so can't download too many sample videos to get an idea of the difference....
Butyou're the best judge for your own needs, it might be worth the time/trouble. My opinion is that the Aiptek GOis a goodcheap HD hybrid, withbasic features. If you take a still frame from the GO's HD video it looksgood, but Ihave anumber of issues with it including it's HDvideo: the image wavers due tothe lack of a video buffer, the sound's not good, noisy zoom and focus are sluggish andoften, when there is light,the video images appear disjointed,like a strobe / slide showeffect rather than fluid motion video. In the end I'd rather use my CG65, but that's just my opinion.

I think bottom line, they are in a different class; like with HDTVs, you can get acheap one, a mid-priced one, or and expensive one, but they won'tall provide the same quality / features.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:56 AM   #34

wait i'm confused

Hidden the specs, the HD700 has image stabilization... however it's not mentioned anywhere in the product advertising.

The HD1000 shows that 'image stabilization' is a feature of the camera and is shown in their product advertising.

Is there a difference between the two camera's image stabilization? Or has Sanyo just decided to highlight the image stabilization in the HD1000 and didn't do so for the HD700?
brettgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 1:59 AM   #35

brettgo1 wrote:
Quote:
Is there a difference between the two camera's image stabilization?
Maybe, in the HD1000 thread they seem to indicate that the DIS might be different on the HD1000. I can confirm that the HD700 has DIS (digital image stabilization)similar to the one on the HD2 (see this HD2 DIS explanation mid-page). It's good if you're trying to hand-hold a steady shot, especially when optically zoomed in, but it's better to turn it off when tripoded or panning/moving.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:26 AM   #36

Hi guys!

Caelum, thanks for this review!
I have a question considering your movie samples.
On the SANY0016.mp4 (ducks) I see some sharpness (compression artefacts?) variation with time on moving waves. Does water look stange to you? If not, maybe I have some decoding issues.
denden2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 3:20 AM   #37

hi denden2007, I looked at it a few times, I don't see anything obvious, maybe I'm not looking in the right place.Perhaps it's the upper right, next to the duck's head,I might seesome imperfections in the water there (this was my water torture test).What media player/codec? Could it be a scaling issue (If your screen resolution is less than 1280x720/32)?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 4:50 AM   #38

I use Media Player Classic + ffdshow, the monitor is 1280x1024x32, no scaling, 1:1.
I have to admit, my pc is not powerful enough to play it without dropping some frames (I got Pentium M 1.4MHz laptop), so I think what saw was some kind of optimization made by decoder.
When I tried to take snapshots with MPC, they all was fine. I assume the frames were fully decoded before saving opposite to partially(?) decoded while playing back.

denden2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:23 AM   #39

denden2007 wrote:
Quote:
[...]I got Pentium M 1.4MHz laptop[...]
Yup, that doesn't sound like it could handle the HD700's highest HD-SHQ quality, a modern and fast enough dual core CPU is better at this. But give the CoreAVC codec (comes withQuicktime Alternative) a try since it is very efficient, much faster than the ffdshow decoder (after installing CoreAVC go in ffdshow video codec configuration andfor H.264/AVC select disabled instead of libavcodec). Certainly if the video doesn't playback very smooth at 30fps there is a playback issue.

The good thing about the HD700 is that you don't need a powerful PC to playback it's videos since it can output to a TV/HDTV using composite video, S-video, component video and even pure digital HDMI. And with the Xacti Library feature you just need an external disk drive to store an accessible library of all your videos, much more convenient than with all of the tape/disc cameras.

Oh, and the XBOX 360 and PS3 can play the videos directly very well!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 1:16 PM   #40

I was on the fence on which one to buy, the HD700 or the HD1000, but the pocketability difference has made my decision for me. Now, can I get some recommendations as to where's the best place in the US to buy from?? Obviously I'm looking for the cheapest price from a reliable place, and I want a US warranty.

TIA
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote