Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:13 AM   #411
joz

willk wrote:
Quote:
"it's now the cheapest Stereo HD camera on the market with twice the bitrate of the Aiptek A-HD/GO-HD"

Could someone explain ineasy to understand terms the significance of bitrate? :?

Thanks!

Higher bitrate=more info captured=better picture details
joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:18 AM   #412
joz

tampagolf wrote:
Quote:
Very disappointed so far in the HD700!!! I purchased this camera last week at Amazon when it was $299 and was very excited to get it. I recently had purchased the waterproof Sanyo VPC-E1 and have been using that camera the last two weeks. My thoughts so far-- I am still trying to see the "high-def" in the HD700!!! I was looking for a portable camcorder to shoot videos "on the fly" of my 3 year old daughter indoors ( usually in the family room/kitchen area under about 12 can-lights in the ceiling) and figured the Xacti camcorders would do the trick. I like the video quality of the VPC-E1 so far and was really hoping to see an even greater difference with the HD700. Unfortunately the HD700 doesn't shoot a better quality video than the VPC-E1. The HD700 shoots avery grainy, jittery, color-washed out picture with the focus not always on target. Sure, I am shooting indoors and not outdoors. I am sure that natural lighting would make all the difference in video quality for the HD700. I have played around with some of the settings after reading through the manual and reading through this forum. I know others have complained about indoor shooting with the HD700. I am really reluctlant to send this camera back since I love the style, size, features, sd card, etc, but I can't even justify spending $300 for something that really falls short of expectations. Maybe I have a defective camera??? Any thoughtsor suggestions???
Turn off image stab, face tracking, etc. and try it again. The less overhead, the better quality and performance. You may also want to get the LED camera lights. Let me know if you find a better solution at comparable cost.
joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:33 AM   #413

I just got my HD700 and so far I am absolutely not impressed at all. I've shot some videos at night and they almost look as if they were shot on a camera-phone. They're that bad. Here's the best night clip I've got :

http://www.vimeo.com/433595

Even in this clip you can see grain everywhere. The video is unbelievably grainy. I thought this was supposed to be an HD camcorder! The other videos I took at night (including more at the Japanese steakhouse, some at a bar, and one of driving down a street) are absolutely unviewable. They are unbelievably grainy and there's no definition or detail to the videos at all.

Did I get a bum unit? Or is this just how it is?

(EDIT)

Here's a clip from daytime :

http://www.vimeo.com/433630

Now that one's not too bad I don't think. You can see everything clearly and it's not too grainy. But everything I've shot at night or in a lower light level has come out as grainy as my grandma's cereal.

wasapamati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:49 AM   #414

Wasapamati,

I was exactly where you were about four days ago, even posting the same questions on one of these threads because I had the same reacation. Long story short, my opinion went from where you are to relatively favorable in the intervening days. Here's what to do to get the most from low light (say, inside your house in the evening) and see if you can accept it. In the end, it's a small lens, and a small crowded sensor, so its low light isn't going to blow you away, but for convenience, the hd700 is great.
1. Shoot manual settings inside: iso 200 or probably iso 400, and use manual focus as well. If you set the focus range at 1.5 meters, you'll be fine in a typical room.
2. Do not use any of the other enhancements like "soft vivid" settings, etc.; they only add to the problem.
3. When watching on an hdtv, do not use a setting on the television like "dynamic" or "vivid" or those other awful picture settings. Trust me on this one from personal experience, they will significantly increase the distortion you see.
4. Turn on more lights, if you can.
5. I have stopped using the movie stabilizer mode, as I think it may increase the noise level or at least lower the resolution, although I'm not sure why. Also, the stabilizer decreases your field of view, which can seem narrow because of the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Hope this is helpful. This really helped me a lot.
DC Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:26 AM   #415

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
my review video enjoyclick me

this is my vid review, it is all fun just enjoy and have fun
Not bad, nice to put a voice and face to the name, too. The review was a bit off though. The stereo mike is on the back of the LCD screen inbetween "HD" and "Xacti", the headphone jack is not also a microphone jack, and below the place for the SD card is a DC-in conncetion.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:38 AM   #416

joz wrote:
Quote:
I changed the thumbnail view to give it a little suspense
Yes, you can zoom with it, and the autofocus is as responsive (or unresponsive )
Haven't put on the ring yet. Need some planning to cut the pieces right and place them well.
Good job on your gallery. I quoted you on Amazon.
Cool, like I mentioned I bought one, seems to have been the only new one at that price, too, Amazon partner. I like the size of the lens in your pictures and the ability to leave my "sling-shot" setup. I'm thinking that adding the ring will give it more to attach to and make it a more secure fit.

Yes, I saw your post on Amazon and replied to the other person asking if it was really done with the HD700. So far, I love mine. I didn't have any expectations, just got it and learned how it works and the best ways to use it. So far I haven't left the house without it and have taken something with it everyday. Gives me exactly what I wanted, a pocketcam that I'll have with me and no longer miss those cool shots I've been missing. :-)
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:02 AM   #417

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
my review video enjoyclick me

this is my vid review, it is all fun just enjoy and have fun
Not bad, nice to put a voice and face to the name, too. The review was a bit off though. The stereo mike is on the back of the LCD screen inbetween "HD" and "Xacti", the headphone jack is not also a microphone jack, and below the place for the SD card is a DC-in conncetion.
yep I was too tired . I thoughtthe two holes on top were themic, andI also thoughtthe lcd back was to.

I will redo it over ,and hopefully correct , thank you for the comment and kind words

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:03 AM   #418

http://www.vimeo.com/433839

This is my sanyo Hd 700 Indoor low light Mourningshots

you'll se it in Sd andnotice barrel distortion (Smear) all different lightings enjoy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:10 AM   #419

joz wrote:
Quote:
Turn off image stab, face tracking, etc. and try it again. The less overhead, the better quality and performance. You may also want to get the LED camera lights. Let me know if you find a better solution at comparable cost.
I wonder if the CameraBright (http://www.camerabright.com/) LED lights are any good. I was in a Best Buy and saw a Sima SL-10L (there's a SL-10X, too) 9 LED light for less than the X1-ER+Xacti version. They're $15-25 on ebay:

Seen some 3w, 10w+20w, etc. lights on ebay that mount on a side bracket in the same price range (and less) that seemed like they'd allow people to better shoot in low light, chase kids around, etc.

Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:19 AM   #420

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
yep I was too tired . I thoughtthe two holes on top were themic, andI also thoughtthe lcd back was to.

I will redo it over ,and hopefully correct , thank you for the comment and kind words
The two holes on the top are where you attach the wrist strap and/or the lens cap. When you redo it put it on YouTube, too, with a link to the better quality one.