Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:46 PM   #481

we're capturing off video? then iti perfection more info the better beats adding a wide angle lens unless i am not reading it correctly
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:58 PM   #482

Outrageous wrote:
Quote:
Taynt3d, you have the HD1000 too, don't you? Does it exibit the same behavior with cropping the 16:9 video relative to the 4:3 stills?
I've only looked at the HD700 this morning on the car ride to work after reading that comment last night. I'll check the HD1000 when I get home and post my results. I sure hope that's not the case, but we'll see. And just for the record, my comments pertain only to video, I haven't tested anything with respect to photos (being a semi-pro photographer causes me to cringe even at the thought of shooting photos with one of these things, lol).
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:06 PM   #483

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
we're capturing off video? then iti perfection more info the better beats adding a wide angle lens unless i am not reading it correctly
I was also thinking about that too this morning (if I'm understanding your comment correctly), but the rub is resolution. So, although yes, it's almost like adding a more wide angle lens without losing any light or getting any new softness, you still only end up with a 640x480 image, whereas with 720p you get a full 1280x720 image despite its narrower field of view.

Although, interestingly, I often shoot 720p with the specific intention to downrez to 1/2 size 640x360 for web delivery anyway. So, it is a bit tempting now to shoot 640x480 and then crop it to 640x360 for final render. I'd end up with the same size image for the web, and as a bonus I'd get a wider field of view and the ability to "choose" which 360 vertical pixels I wanted from my original 480 pixels (kind of like a vertical pan and scan). Although not sure the image would look as good or not when compared to each other.

The other thing to consider is the bit rates at work here. The 720p is running at a significantly higher bit rate, but the question is how much of that bit rate is going to deal with the added resolution vs. how much is being used for the quality of the image. My thought is they are highly related, but still somewhat independent. I've said this before, but it'd be cool if you could record 640x480 at a 9mbs bit rate cause that 640x480 video would look pretty damn good at that point, but oh well...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:56 PM   #484

What I did is un-install all the SW and re-installed them again and same problem... so again did the same thing but rather using the cd-rom that came with the camera to install quicktime I did it direct from Apples's site and long behold no problems, now it reads from the card reader :|say cheese!
Prince Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:04 PM   #485

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
Isn't it possible to shoot both videos and stills in the wide format? Just curious. I suppose I'll find out when my 700 gets here in a few days.
Yes. However, I shoot still at 7mp (3072x2304) and 16:9 stills are 5.3mp (3072x1728).

visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:54 PM   #486

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
This makes no sense to me, and represents poor design IMHO -- unless I'm missing something. For starters, we know it doesn't have anything to do with stabilization b/c from what we know about stabilization on the HD700 is that it crops in and zooms, so there's no way it is reserving more space on the chip for stabilizing b/w 16:9 and 4:3.
WTF? Unless I'm missing something, that is just flat out stupid design...
Hmm. I don't see it as a design flaw or stupid design. In HD mode it shoots 1280x720 and in still 7mp mode it shoots 3072x2304 that's quite a difference in image size and aspect ratio. In 5.3mp 16:9 mode the aspect ratio is the same but you'll still get a but more in still mode than video mode; 3072x1728 vs. 1280x72.

I'm not an engineer and don't play one on TV (or here) but maybe this will help...or confuse:

Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:58 PM   #487

Prince Lynx wrote:
Quote:
What I did is un-install all the SW and re-installed them again and same problem... so again did the same thing but rather using the cd-rom that came with the camera to install quicktime I did it direct from Apples's site and long behold no problems, now it reads from the card reader :|say cheese!
Hey, congrats! Glad you got that taken care of.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 4:08 PM   #488

My Phoenix 0.45x arrived (sooner than expected), thanks Joz!

Wow, it's small. Attaches to the camera without the rings but sudden movements may cause it to shift off-center. Will post a video test later. Looks sharp though as I aimed it at a towel and saw the fibers. No vignetting either.

It's lighter and small than I expected. Considerably smaller than my sling-shot lens:

Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:34 PM   #489

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
This makes no sense to me, and represents poor design IMHO -- unless I'm missing something. For starters, we know it doesn't have anything to do with stabilization b/c from what we know about stabilization on the HD700 is that it crops in and zooms, so there's no way it is reserving more space on the chip for stabilizing b/w 16:9 and 4:3.
WTF? Unless I'm missing something, that is just flat out stupid design...
Hmm. I don't see it as a design flaw or stupid design. In HD mode it shoots 1280x720 and in still 7mp mode it shoots 3072x2304 that's quite a difference in image size and aspect ratio. In 5.3mp 16:9 mode the aspect ratio is the same but you'll still get a but more in still mode than video mode; 3072x1728 vs. 1280x72.

I'm not an engineer and don't play one on TV (or here) but maybe this will help...or confuse:

This doesn't help me at all really. I see no reason whatsoever why my 16:9 video would have a narrower field of view than my 4:3 view. That is just plain stupid, and something I've never seen nor heard about with any video camera I've ever used -- and I've used plenty -- you either crop a 16:9 down width-wise to 4:3 or you crop a 4:3 to 16:9, but either way you either end up with the same or a wider field of view in the 16:9 version. If the lens goes wider, then they should have used that width, and that's true regardless of the shape of the sensor. I'm so confused. Now maybe it had soemthing to do with the inability to rescale certain resolutions of video in real-time for MP4 encoding, but I doubt it...

Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:54 PM   #490

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
My Phoenix 0.45x arrived (sooner than expected), thanks Joz!

Wow, it's small. Attaches to the camera without the rings but sudden movements may cause it to shift off-center. Will post a video test later. Looks sharp though as I aimed it at a towel and saw the fibers. No vignetting either.

It's lighter and small than I expected. Considerably smaller than my sling-shot lens:

Two questions about the Phoenix .45x wide adapter:

(1) Can you still use the stock lens cap after gluing the mag ring to your camera?

(2) Could you guys post with and without the adapter screen grabs so we can see what the wider field of view actually looks like?