Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 24, 2007, 1:33 PM   #41

I was just about to write that since it only just came out,most retaillers would still have it at MSRP, but I checked and Amazon has already lowered its price by 5% (for the Silver one only). If you find it lower from a .COM be careful because many of them don't make it clear, but are offshore, so the warranty wouldn't be valid. But you can find some, I see ANTonline has it a little lower. Brick and Mortar storestend totake longer to stock these new things.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:51 PM   #42

This seems like a LOW price from Broadway Photo:

LINK REMOVED

They charge outrageous shipping and handling, but they are still the cheapest by a mile. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Never mind.....just read the reviews of that place. Yikes!!

dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:24 PM   #43

Aren't they the same guys who were exposed by a blooger on digg? Started with an order for a digital SLR then the high pressure sales phone calls started coming in...

If I remember correctly, a few threatning calls were made to the customer before mainstream press got into the action. And eventually they closed the operation only to open up new ones the next week or so :lol:
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:38 PM   #44

Yeah dcpmark, as a favor to others perhaps you should remove that link. I also heard they call you up and extreme pressure sell you stuff at ridiculous prices. :lol:Wow, even their web gives a clue, look at their accessories: 1GB SD = $250, 1GB "error free" SD= $600. :?Q:"yes, customer support,your super expensive generic1GB SD doesn't work", R:"your bad, you didn't order the error free one" :roll:... insane.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 7:00 PM   #45

Just wanted to say that I actually called Broadway Photo AND PrestigeCamera... to order mi HD700.

I can safely bet $500 on the fact that both companies are actually the same. I got the same dude on the phone, rude as hell and couldn't care less about me as a customer.

I was ready to order, so after I gave him the model and clearly said 'Sanyo', he was ready to charge me for a black Sony camera with the same model(?).. I was like, "excuse me, I said Sanyo... what colors do you have?" and he said "black" :lol:

Long story short, I don't even think they have them in stock, and they had a 'whatever, dude' attitude on the phone.

I didn't buy and wouldn't recommend buying from there either.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 7:21 PM   #46

subc wrote:
Quote:
[...]both companies are actually the same.[...]
You'd win that bet, they are the same, and they go under many other names, apparently too many to list, see reseller ratings.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:34 PM   #47

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Yeah dcpmark, as a favor to others perhaps you should remove that link.*
Link removed. What a scummy bunch of people....I can't believe the New York AG's Office hasn't prosecuted them yet.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 3:13 AM   #48

Thank you for the tip, Caelum!
I've installed the CoreAVC and now I have really improved quality comparing to the ffdshow. The sharpness variations just disappeared!
I still have 15 fps playback but thats ok, I know I need at least two my laptops in one package to make these samples play smoothly :lol:
denden2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 3:55 PM   #49

I personally will never understand why people go to such extremes to say a few bucks. One of these days you will pay dearly for that with either full out fraud, no warranty when the thing breaks, finding out it wasn't in stock after all and waiting months, etc., etc. People, get a clue. It isn't worth it for $50 or whatever it is... There are plenty of reputable dealers selling this type of gear for reasonable prices, no not the lowest price, but then again, you'll get good service, fast delivery, it'll be in stock if they say it is, and you'll have a USA (insert country here) warranty. It's worth the extra bucks!
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:03 PM   #50

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
I personally will never understand why people go to such extremes to say a few bucks. One of these days you will pay dearly for that with either full out fraud, no warranty when the thing breaks, finding out it wasn't in stock after all and waiting months, etc., etc. People, get a clue. It isn't worth it for $50 or whatever it is... There are plenty of reputable dealers selling this type of gear for reasonable prices, no not the lowest price, but then again, you'll get good service, fast delivery, it'll be in stock if they say it is, and you'll have a USA (insert country here) warranty. It's worth the extra bucks!
When you say you don't "understand why people go to such extremes" to save a few bucks, do you mean that you don't understand why someone would Google "Sanyo VPC-HD700" to see who's carrying it and for what price? Do you really consider that an "extreme" thing to do? Or do you mean just picking the lowest price you can find without checking to see if the vendor is reliable? That would be a stupid thing to do, although again doesn't really qualify as "going to such extremes," would it?

If you read my post, in this case I asked for help in finding the cheapest price from a "reliable place." After, I did a quick Google search, and Broadway Photo came up at around $100 less than Amazon. Not knowing anything about the place, I asked if anyone had any thoughts about it. Then I checked the web myself. Within less than a minute I found all the bad reviews, and posted the update. Others here confirmed my research. Total time: less than 5 minutes. Hardly going "to such extremes".....right?

So, who exactly are you telling to get a clue?