Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:23 PM   #491

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
This is a strange discovery indeed. I'm kind of surprised I never noticed this before, but then again, I've pretty much stayed in widescreen mode the whole time.

This makes no sense to me, and represents poor design IMHO -- unless I'm missing something. For starters, we know it doesn't have anything to do with stabilization b/c from what we know about stabilization on the HD700 is that it crops in and zooms, so there's no way it is reserving more space on the chip for stabilizing b/w 16:9 and 4:3.

Next, there's no good explanation for this behavior. If the chip were a 4:3 chip, then you'd think that 4:3 and 16:9 would have the exact same angle of view, just that the 16:9 would be cropped out of the 4:3 chip and saved at a higher resolution than the 4:3, which would have used the whole chip and downrezed to 640x480. In the case of a widescreen chip, you'd think the 16:9 would have a wider field of view and the 4:3 would be cropped from it. Either way, you'd never see behavior like this, where the 4:3 image has a wider field of view?

WTF? Unless I'm missing something, that is just flat out stupid design...
The only reason I even noticed this was the fact I was recording one of my friends talking in WS, then just decided to switch to 4x3 and noticed how much more vertical space there was. I wanted to get an idea how much of a difference there was, so I did the sample videos of the wall and noticed more viewing area on all sides.
splunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:43 PM   #492

Prince Lynx wrote:
Quote:
What I did is un-install all the SW and re-installed them again and same problem... so again did the same thing but rather using the cd-rom that came with the camera to install quicktime I did it direct from Apples's site and long behold no problems, now it reads from the card reader :|say cheese!
So I guess perseverance paid off in the end!

PC's are like that. I remember installing Norton Security on my laptop and couldn't get the firewall part to start no matter how many times I reinstalled! I couldn't work out why until I found I had to make sure a certain directory was deleted before I reinstalled. Didn't have this problem on other PC's but as each machine is subtly different, sometimes there is some unique quirk that gets in the way.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:03 PM   #493

Quote:
Prince Lynx wrote:
Quote:
What I did is un-install all the SW and re-installed them again and same problem... so again did the same thing but rather using the cd-rom that came with the camera to install quicktime I did it direct from Apples's site and long behold no problems, now it reads from the card reader :|say cheese!

Apple 7. ver I loaded. had some type of bug, when went to HDWEBTOWN prompt and my pc slowed, reformatted etc...... now I wentto Apple simular issues found that QT 7.1 wasfine i was 7.2 with issued I believe they corrected and now have 7.3 I use a cd from casioallworks well , I just have to remember loading older cd software before QT 7.123 or else the editing ones do not work. hip hip 4 ya

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:08 PM   #494

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
Two questions about the Phoenix .45x wide adapter:

(1) Can you still use the stock lens cap after gluing the mag ring to your camera?

(2) Could you guys post with and without the adapter screen grabs so we can see what the wider field of view actually looks like?
1. Wild guess is that I think so since the ring is a little bit bigger than the lens opening. I haven't installed the ring yet. Like Joz said you can just attach it to the lens as is. There's enough metal for it to stick. Doesn't stick firmly though. I walked around with it on with no problem, I wouldn't run or want to bump into anyone or thing with it on through. The addition of the ring may improve that and insure a good alignment.

2. I'll do better than that. As soon as the video renders I'll post it on Vimeo and provide the link.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:03 PM   #495

there's a serious flaw with the hd700 and final cut express. read the thread here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...44&forum_id=27
jklikesfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:09 PM   #496

As promised, the test footage with the Phoenix 0.45x magentic lens is here: http://www.vimeo.com/440418
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:25 PM   #497

jklikesfilm wrote:
Quote:
there's a serious flaw with the hd700 and final cut express.
Hmm. Not sure this is a flaw. I don't know which version of FCE you have but I've copied my files from the HD700 to my drive. Created a new project and imported the files (File -- Import -- Files...) I wanted into FCP 5.14 with no problem. Log and Capture/Log and Transfer may be more suited for tape than digital files like the HD700 creates.

BTW, iMovie supported HD before Final Cut Pro did. Go figure.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:31 PM   #498

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
As promised, the test footage with the Phoenix 0.45x magentic lens is here: http://www.vimeo.com/440418
Thanks. I'll be getting one of those ASAP.

Could you tell me EXACTLY where you got yours? I'm going to order one from the same place...
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:55 PM   #499

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. I'll be getting one of those ASAP.

Could you tell me EXACTLY where you got yours? I'm going to order one from the same place...
Joz found it first. I bought from Amazon.com, search for "P06450" and you should find it. I bought from a Amazon partner, click on "used and new" and if Video Camera Center still has them that's who I got mine from. It's new, great price and it was due between the 19th and 24. They shipped priority mail and I got it today.

(I transposed the last two digits in the part number. Sorry.)
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:09 PM   #500

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
This doesn't help me at all really. I see no reason whatsoever why my 16:9 video would have a narrower field of view than my 4:3 view. That is just plain stupid, and something I've never seen nor heard about with any video camera I've ever used -- and I've used plenty -- you either crop a 16:9 down width-wise to 4:3 or you crop a 4:3 to 16:9, but either way you either end up with the same or a wider field of view in the 16:9 version. If the lens goes wider, then they should have used that width, and that's true regardless of the shape of the sensor. I'm so confused. Now maybe it had soemthing to do with the inability to rescale certain resolutions of video in real-time for MP4 encoding, but I doubt it...
Well, I'm dealing with 4:3 stills and 16:9 HD, not HD vs. SD video. If it bothers you give Sanyo a call and ask for tech support or an engineer. Maybe someone there can help.