Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 21, 2007, 4:22 PM   #561

Hello,
I have asked this in the vimeo forum as well, and will ask here too as I havent gotten a reply there.

If I just copy the files from the Sanyo to my PC taken as HD, and upload it as is, shouldnt it appear as HD on Vimeo? It does not....
rajeshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:08 PM   #562

rajeshh wrote:
Quote:
Hello,
I have asked this in the vimeo forum as well, and will ask here too as I havent gotten a reply there.

If I just copy the files from the Sanyo to my PC taken as HD, and upload it as is, shouldnt it appear as HD on Vimeo? It does not....
You are correct it should, but in the FAQ it says this:
  • Why is my video only 640x360? HD video is so big that it can't fit in the width of a regular web page, so we show it at half size. To see the whole image, go into full screen mode by clicking the "Full" button in the lower right of the player. The native size of Vimeo HD files is 1280x720.
    [/*]
Does it show up as a widescreen format in the webpage? In which case you just do as it says and make it fullscreen to get the HD effect.

Of course, maybe you mean that it has uploaded it as if it was a regular non HD format, in which case there may be a glitch.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:28 PM   #563

rajeshh wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

Hmm. Never tried that. I run my files through a editing app. first. Okay, for fun I'll try one with a small file to see what happens...

Later...

Okay, it seems to have worked fine. The file is on my drive, I told Vimeo to upload it, it did and looks HD to me: http://www.vimeo.com/447271

I may use this way for the PDQ stuff, it's less work.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:03 PM   #564

Thanks for doing that test. I have done it with 2 files, and it didnt take it as HD...Will try with a smaller file.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:22 AM   #565

rajeshh wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for doing that test. I have done it with 2 files, and it didnt take it as HD...Will try with a smaller file.
I was happy to. Learned something new in the process. Did mine look okay to you? What's happening to yours? I can do a larger file if you like. I did a small one so it could process while I was writing the message.

My camera is set to HD-SHQ and spends more time in Auto P than it should (lazy).

Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:31 PM   #566

rajeshh wrote:
Quote:
The files I uploaded are the unedited files straight from the camera, so not sure why you are not having much luck!

Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:57 AM   #567

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
My camera is set to HD-SHQ and spends more time in Auto P than it should (lazy).
Yeah mine is set to HD-SHQ as well. When I view it on the computer it looks good. When I upload it on vimeo, it only looks as good when it appears in the default size. As soon as I do Full Screen, it doesnt look good.

Here is a video for example:

http://www.vimeo.com/446074

The above is a big one. I tried a small one as well. But the same. When I hover on the video in vimeo, it doesnt show "HD is on" which I see for your videos.

Edit: The other thing is that I have been using the /upload/babyface url because the regular upload was never compeleting for me. It would get stuck at 50% or 90% on a the couple attempts.

Will try that upload again.

Old Dec 23, 2007, 4:03 AM   #568

I find that this camera does poorly with motion. Maybe 9Mbps is just not enough to capture motion. And I'm not even talking about fast motion. Just simply panning the camera will create so much smearing effect in the video it's simply unwatchable. Even the slight bouncing motion when you walk at a normal pace will create unwatchable video. I tend to have to walk at a snail pace to capture any footage worth keeping. This is my first camcorder so I do not know if this is a normal thing on other types of camcorder.

I have yet to record outdoor under bright sunlight. So far all my videos are indoor from brightly lit mall @ 5-8pm, brightly lit(8 40W fluorescent bulbs) 100sqft office space during the day, and brightly lit(4 40W fluorescent bulbs) 300sqft bedroom.

All the HD700 videos I've seen so far contain little to no motion. I tried playing with all the settings and the only way to slighlty improve the quality is to bump the ISO to a very noisy level it's just as unacceptable to watch. Too bad we can't upgrade the stock f/3.5 lens to something equivalent to HD1000's f/1.8 lens.
jd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:20 AM   #569

jd2k1 wrote:
Quote:
I find that this camera does poorly with motion. Maybe 9Mbps is just not enough to capture motion. And I'm not even talking about fast motion. Just simply panning the camera will create so much smearing effect in the video it's simply unwatchable.
Hi,

First, I'm no expert. When I first started shooting video, not with a HD700 but a bigger camera, I was very disappointed in my panning results. Discovered that I was panning WAY too fast. Took a while to learn to really slow down to allow the camera and the human eye to take in all the information. Slowing way down allows the camera to focus on the changing scene, too. Doing it indoors requires even more patience as you're working with less light and slower shutter speeds. Do it too fast and you can get a neat, but not usually desirable, blur effect — seen it in a few movies, but for effect, not a real panning motion.

The nice thing about digital video is that you can get instant feedback from your tests. Slow down and play, watch the results, and adjust how you do it until you get what you want. Takes practice.

Quote:
Even the slight bouncing motion when you walk at a normal pace will create unwatchable video. I tend to have to walk at a snail pace to capture any footage worth keeping. This is my first camcorder so I do not know if this is a normal thing on other types of camcorder.
Welcome to video! We all wobble when we walk. The shifting of our weight from one foot to the next, aka "controlled falling", is exaggerated in video. Try as hard as you can to be smooth and you still get bouncing video that can look like you were falling down a flight of stairs. :-)

Shooting while walking and getting fairly smooth results takes practice in a different kind of walking, often called "the steadycam walk." You can help yourself by using some sort of camera steadying device. Back on page 20 of this thread I, jokingly due to size, posted pictures of my HD700 on a homemade Fig Rig and a shoulder rest. Both of them will help smooth out your shots. To see what I'm talking about go here, click on "Skip Intro" and then on "Mike Figgis on the Fig Rig":

http://services.manfrotto.com/figrig/

This guy isn't bad on his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATv36dKHUf8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEO4P84tmBw

You can surf the net for "fig rig" and find lots of instructions on making a variety of variations of it.

The Poor Man's Steadycam is pretty good for walking and even running with a video cam. The HD700 is pretty small but it's doable. Go here and scroll down just past "Using Your Steadycam" and click on the photos on the left to see the samples:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

Search YouTube for "poor man's steadycam" to see videos of assorted variations. Even putting the HD700 on a small tripod (bigger than a tabletop one through) and holding it out in front of you (there's examples on YouTube) will smoothing things a bit.

If you watch TV or movies and see smooth camera movements there's a either a expensive dolly setup (you can make your own decent one, search YouTube) or a very well trained person using an expensive steadycam rig. You can do a lot on your own to improve the look of things, it just takes practice.

Quote:
All the HD700 videos I've seen so far contain little to no motion. I tried playing with all the settings and the only way to slighlty improve the quality is to bump the ISO to a very noisy level it's just as unacceptable to watch. Too bad we can't upgrade the stock f/3.5 lens to something equivalent to HD1000's f/1.8 lens.
Smooth pans, tilts, walking, etc. take time and practice to do well. I'm not there yet. There are a couple of pans at the end of my mall visit video here, http://www.vimeo.com/438070 no fear of putting any steadycam operators out of walk. My walking while shooting techniques is better than it used to be but WAY off from being decent. Luckily, I don't need to move and shoot.

While we can't upgrade the lens or the sensivity/size of the sensor in the HD700, we can add light. People don't seem to be willing to do this but it's the best and cheapest way to improve indoor shooting. The AF cameras focus on contrast, the less contrast the harder for the cameras to focus. Low light situations have little contrast, that's why cameras (not just the HD700) "hunt" more for focus. Add a moving object and you compund the issue. Add some light and the results will improve.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:31 AM   #570

Quote:
Edit: The other thing is that I have been using the /upload/babyface url because the regular upload was never compeleting for me. It would get stuck at 50% or 90% on a the couple attempts.
This may well be the problem. I tried that interface and all I got was 'Directory not writable'. I use http://www.vimeo.com/upload/video