Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:39 AM   #571

Quote:
Welcome to video! We all wobble when we walk. The shifting of our weight from one foot to the next, aka "controlled falling", is exaggerated in video. Try as hard as you can to be smooth and you still get bouncing video that can look like you were falling down a flight of stairs.
And you have to remember that these cameras, being tiny compared to regular camcorders, tend not to have much mass to help damp the motion. This is why any movement while walking is much more exagerated.

I remember I could easily walk with my old JVC SVHS-C camcorder and not suffer with jerky movements as much whereas even using the image stabilizer on my Sanyo's that's not possible as I have found many a time.

Even though I should know better I still find I make the same mistakes over again. In the excitement of shooting while visiting somewhere it's so easy to forget and of course footage always seems to look ok on the LCD until we view it on a bigger screen, by which time it's too late!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:04 AM   #572

rajeshh wrote:
Quote:
Here is a video for example:

http://www.vimeo.com/446074

The above is a big one. I tried a small one as well. But the same. When I hover on the video in vimeo, it doesnt show "HD is on" which I see for your videos.
Hmm. I noticed that the "HD is On" doesn't show on yours, too. I've never used upload/babyface before but am as I type this to see what happens.

Later...

Okay, upload/babyface is the problem. The one I did that way is not HD either. Uploading the same clip again, the normal way, for a comparison -- big difference.

upload/babyface: http://www.vimeo.com/449297
Regular upload: http://www.vimeo.com/449307

Note: both will be deleted in a few days. This is for people viewing this at a later date, I hate clicking on links that no longer work.

I suggest that you search the Vimeo forum for the problem you're having with the uploads not completing as I do remember seeing something about that. After searching if you can't find a solution send them an email. I got an answer to a problem I had within 24-hours (keyframe rate glitch caused a video to pause before the ending).

Good luck!

P.S. Cute kids, hope Ashwin is feeling better.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:18 AM   #573

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
And you have to remember that these cameras, being tiny compared to regular camcorders, tend not to have much mass to help damp the motion. This is why any movement while walking is much more exagerated.
Pretty much any hand held camera, tiny or not, is going to give you bouncing video while walking, running. Some with nicer optical image stablizers will improve it a bit but it will still be here. It will be worse on the smaller and lighter ones. It's not just the mass but the location of the camera to your body to lessen the jarring.

A two-handed grip held out 15" or so from your body will help a bit. Squat down a bit and be conscious of your walking. Walk slow. Heel-to-toe in a gliding style, trying to keep your upped body stable and level as possible.

Check out the videos on the poor man's steadycam and on YouTube. Not as good as a real Steadicam* with a trained and skilled operator but quite good and a LOT cheaper.

There are smaller and less complex commercial steadycams versions, too. Here's what one a guy got for his Sanyo HD1: http://www.xanga.com/nicktoy

There's an assortment on ebay, too.

*Steadycam and Steadicam are usually interchanged but Steadicam is a commercial brand registered to Tiffen and "steadycam" is a generic term for camera stabilation units. You'll find more stuff searching YouTube and elsewhere for "steadycam."

Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:35 AM   #574

rajeshh wrote:
Quote:
The other thing is that I have been using the /upload/babyface url because the regular upload was never compeleting for me. It would get stuck at 50% or 90% on a the couple attempts.
Have a look through this thread in Vimeo's support section:

"Some users are experiencing difficulties with videos not showing up after uploading or freezing on certain percentages during the upload process..."

http://www.vimeo.com/forums/topic:3715
Old Dec 23, 2007, 1:02 PM   #575

once you get used to panning or bounce, imagine when you add a modded wide angle lens all changes again. lol
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:19 PM   #576

Quote:
P.S. Cute kids, hope Ashwin is feeling better.
Thanks.
yeah, the upload process was the issue. I uploaded again using the regular upload and it worked.

Thanks again for helping narrow down the issue.
rajeshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 3:07 AM   #577

Thank you for that information, visorblue.

So this smearing effect is a low light issue? If only there's a hack to make the LED stay on while recording. I'm going to really put this thing to test on Christmas.

When in manual focus mode and recording, it's not possible to change the focus anymore. Is this normal? If so, how can you focus on something close to you such as a dish in front of you and then focus on something far from you like someone at the door?
jd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 8:03 AM   #578

rajeshh wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. yeah, the upload process was the issue. I uploaded again using the regular upload and it worked.

Thanks again for helping narrow down the issue.
Glad I could help. I'm no expert but every now and then something works. :lol:
Old Dec 24, 2007, 8:49 AM   #579

jd2k1 wrote:
Quote:
So this smearing effect is a low light issue? If only there's a hack to make the LED stay on while recording. I'm going to really put this thing to test on Christmas.
Well, we'd have to see a sample video to be sure. I'm assuming that what you're calling "smearing" I'd call blurring or streaking -- but I've been wrong before. :lol:

Video cameras aren't too unlike still cameras in that shooting a moving object with a slow shutter speed can result in a blured image from both the subject's movement as well as yours. I shot my black dog in a pretty dark backyard using enhanced night mode on another camera (fine if you're a private dectective, I guess) and while I was totally amazed that I got anything at all under those conditions, it was blurry and kind of spooky. It was like she was changing shapes as she ran around the yard. :-)

The LED on mine blinks while recording.

Quote:
When in manual focus mode and recording, it's not possible to change the focus anymore. Is this normal? If so, how can you focus on something close to you such as a dish in front of you and then focus on something far from you like someone at the door?
Never done that, I don't shoot in low light. I add light if light is low, see a few pages back for some inexpensive supplemental lights for the camera. If MF doesn't let you adjust while shooting and you need to change the focus, press the video button to stop the sequence, focus and start again.

Wait, there may be a plan B. I just did a test I shoot something very close on my desk by letting the AF focus and then using a Shortcut to turn on AF Lock. Then I turned AF lock off and aimed at something at a greater distance and after it focused set AF lock back on. That may work for you.

Also, check out the info on the Sanyo HD700 tips page (if the videos are choppy, click on the pause button until it's loaded, then play: http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html

Hope this helps. Good luck.

P.S. A friend sent me this off a Canon HV20 forum ( http://hv20.com/ ). The HV20 isn't supposed to be very good in low light, better than the HD700 but still not good enough for some. So this is one person's fix (LOTS of HV20 tweaks on that site):

Old Dec 24, 2007, 2:50 PM   #580

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
willk wrote:
Quote:
Yikes, I have this on order. What do you mean by "zoom out"? Do you mean towards the telephoto end of the zoom. If so is the non-zoomed image ok?
Vignettes on stills only in wide angle. With the 0.45x you go from 38mm to 17mm in appearance.
I would be happy to go from 28mm to 38 with stills. Is this possible with the small lens without getting the vignettes? Mine should be arriving on Wed. and I'm still not sure whether to return it and get the large one.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote