Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:01 PM   #611

was a fine job.

how would one getto see the battery icon on all the time, I may be doing something wrong and not seeing at all. thank you
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 2:26 PM   #612

Thanks setter Dog,

I guess you answered my question, if you did not get disapointed when going from the CG65 to the HD 700 for your low light shots, then it must be close.

One more question as you have both (even if the CG65 may be better than the C6). The C6 has a tendency to do a bit of focus hunting in video mode, and as a result, I often have to lock the focus or put in in manual. Can you tell me if the HD 700has improved in this regard, can you leave it on automatic focus without problems, or do you have to lock the focus to avoid focus hunting ?

Thanks again for the feedback.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:41 PM   #613

Scrambler.

I have a little focus hunting on my CG65 and suspect it's the same on the 700. In theory, I'd like to focus lock when this happens. With that in mind, I set a shortcut for focus lock and one for the manual focus on the little joy stick. That seemed like a good plan but the little stick is too sensitive for my hands when wearing gloves and I was accidentally getting into manual focus and focus lock when I didn't want to be there. So did my wife, so I changed over to simple mode and that eliminates the shortcut function.

For me, simpler is better and I don't worry if the focus hunts a bit. If I get a long stretch of it, I edit it out with the in camera editing. A little bit, I can live with.

I'm really into the Sanyos for memories and my expectations are maybe not as high as others.

I will mention that on Christmas day I took a lot of videos and when we watched them my wife commented that nobody seemed to be aware we were taking them and they were acting more natural. I attribute that to the unobtrusiveness of the Sanyos. All in all, I like these cameras. If they had an optical viewfinder, I'd love them.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:56 PM   #614

Greetings from a new member!

I just got my HD700 (ordered on the deal from Amazon). I am having problems with playback and editing of movies onmy Windows XP PCand am wondering if anyone can help. To preface this, I have a fairly fast computer that more than meets the hardware requirements on the box. The videos play fine directly from the camera to a TV.

When I play back an mp4 file in Quicktime 7.3 transferred from the HD700 to my PC, I notice that the audio and video are out of sync with the audio ahead of the video. In addition, when I edit the video in Premiere Elements 3.0 or Vegas Movie Studio, the rendered mpg is similarly out of sync. Interestingly, if I use VLC rather than Quicktime to play the mp4 file, the audio/video are less out of sync (though still slightly). I tried installing ffdshow codecs and notice no change in this behavior.

I noticed that someone on the HD1000 thread had noted a similar issue with the mp4 files on their PC with the audio preceding the video by about 3 frames. This is just about what I notice, too, when I analyze it frame by frame in Vegas Movie Studio! Interestingly, when I uploaded a video to Vimeo, the converted video does not have A/V sync issues!

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this? I'd hate to have to manually shift the audio 3 or 4 frames for each video clip in the video editor in order to render an in-sync DVD. That would be tedious.

kimowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 5:51 PM   #615

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
how would one getto see the battery icon on all the time, I may be doing something wrong and not seeing at all. thank you
Good question. I see it every time I press Menu. Don't see a way to have it display anywhere else. not sure I'd want to as there's enough on the display as it is.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:11 PM   #616

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
Good question. I see it every time I press Menu. Don't see a way to have it display anywhere else. not sure I'd want to as there's enough on the display as it is.
I would like to see a batt indicator, but cannot have all of both worlds here. It is said you must check by pressing that would juust add to a weaker battery if always worried about battery power., they also mention adding a stronger battery etc.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 6:29 PM   #617

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
I would like to see a batt indicator, but cannot have all of both worlds here. It is said you must check by pressing that would juust add to a weaker battery if always worried about battery power., they also mention adding a stronger battery etc.
I bought a spare and a separate charger. Haven't seen any higher than 1200mAh out there. Did see a 800mAh one. Maybe soon?
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:25 PM   #618

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
If they had an optical viewfinder, I'd love them.
Interesting that you would want an optical viewfinder. I can see why you might want one on a regular digital camera for taking still shots (although I have to admit I only used mine briefly once or twice when I went digital and never used it again) but I would've thought it would be awkward on such a small camera for continuous video. I would imagine you'd also lose much of the camera's unobtrusiveness due to it being 'stuck' to your eye making it more noticeable, but may well be wrong in this case :G

Of course on a video camera, the viewfinder is more like a second LCD, so I imagine you are wanting it for bright sunlight. Even so I find that I haven't really had that much of a problem with LCD screens even down here in sunny Texas. Even when I had a viewfinder on my JVC SVHS, I found that I just couldn't use it and ended up using the LCD totally in the end. I hate viewfinders myself.

Out of interest, what do others think? Do you prefer viewfinders or do you just 'put up' with the LCD screen and any shortcomings it may have?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:03 AM   #619

Well it looks like it's time to return my HD700 for a replacement. I just noticed after videoing today that the ambient background noise seemed a lot higher than I expected it to be. I did some further test recordings and there is now a noticeable hiss on playback even when it's not a quiet environment. I recorded the tv in my room for instance and you could still hear the hiss on top of that.

Considering the autofocus issue I had briefly I think I'd better take advantage of Amazon's generous xmas return period before something else goes wrong, not that I wouldn't return it anyway as this hiss is totally unacceptable.

Anyone else had this? I know some complained of the zoom noise, but this is continuous background hiss and I have seen one posting here http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=797865 where someone else seems to have had similar.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:42 AM   #620

Hello,
I am enjoying my Hd 700 !
But when I make pictures with flash everytime the eyes appear read and often white and it is not possible to correct with the software of the Hd700.
Do you have any trick to avoid this problem ?
Roberto
muteki65 is offline   Reply With Quote