Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:28 PM   #631

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
visorblue wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Anyone else had this? I know some complained of the zoom noise, but this is continuous background hiss and I have seen one posting here http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=797865 where someone else seems to have had similar.
Well, they're referring to shooting out in nature with dead silence except for animals, wind and the crunching sounds you hear when you hike. With the HD700's auto gain if it doesn't hear anything it cranks up the gain, a lot of gain and you get a hissing sound with almost any equipment.

From what you've said, it's not the same as what they're referring to. Indoors there are a lot of electronic devices that can contribute to the noise; fluorescent lights, refrigerators, fans, motors, etc. I hear some hissing in my quiet ones but I have to crank up the volume to hear it. For all I know, cranking up the volume to hear the hiss could be the cause of the hiss. :O
If it was only during very quiet situations that would be one thing, but it seems the hiss is there regardless and that's it's just not as noticeable if there is constant background noise in what you are shooting. You can hear the hiss on playback on the camera's speaker quite prominently. I haven't noticed this on my other Sanyo, so have to assume this is not normal. I have no choice really but to exchange it within the return period as I don't want to be left with a defective device if I can help it.
I notice the hiss on my camera is also quite prominent when played backONTHE CAMERA. However, when the file is played on a computer, there really isn't as much hiss. I'm guessing the amp on the camera is not a high fidelity one.

Hope this helps!

kimowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:31 PM   #632

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
If it was only during very quiet situations that would be one thing, but it seems the hiss is there regardless and that's it's just not as noticeable if there is constant background noise in what you are shooting. You can hear the hiss on playback on the camera's speaker quite prominently. I haven't noticed this on my other Sanyo, so have to assume this is not normal. I have no choice really but to exchange it within the return period as I don't want to be left with a defective device if I can help it.
Well, compare yours to my videos to see if it's the same. I typically don't shoot in dead quiet environments though. When I did the PDQ candle test I had to re-do it as I didn't notice the heater fan had kicked on but the camera sure did.

http://gallery.mac.com/crosby007

Also, post a sample in a non-quiet room so we can hear what you're hearing.

If you read that thread on dvinfo you posted the link to you'll read what an associate told me he does with his very high-end pro gear when he's shooting industrial, corporate or commercial movies.
That's the problem I don't usually film in quiet environments either and yesterday while filming in a pizza place, I thought the hiss was due to the bouncy castle but it seemed constant wherever I was filming but I thought it was probably just a noisy environment. It was only when I filmed a friend that I thought there was a little too much background noise than there should be so I did a quiet test. I am still trying to work out if mine is exhibiting abnormal charactersistics, but I don't want to leave it too long and be stuck with it. The fact that the focus starting acting up that one time, makes me think it may be best to exchange it anyway. While hiss may be something that can be fixed, if the autofocus goes again that can't!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:32 PM   #633

blegate wrote:
Quote:
Hi- No sync errors. I play back through Media Player and not Quicktime. With Quicktime I had all sorts of issues like you are describing.

(Coreduo 2.0 with 2gig ram)

brian
Brian,

Thanks! That is what I suspected. Oh, well - must be the Sanyo MP4 encoder. However, it is still kind of a pain since the sync issue shows up in my movie editing programs.

- Kimo
kimowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 1:33 PM   #634

kimowa wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
visorblue wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Anyone else had this? I know some complained of the zoom noise, but this is continuous background hiss and I have seen one posting here http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=797865 where someone else seems to have had similar.
Well, they're referring to shooting out in nature with dead silence except for animals, wind and the crunching sounds you hear when you hike. With the HD700's auto gain if it doesn't hear anything it cranks up the gain, a lot of gain and you get a hissing sound with almost any equipment.

From what you've said, it's not the same as what they're referring to. Indoors there are a lot of electronic devices that can contribute to the noise; fluorescent lights, refrigerators, fans, motors, etc. I hear some hissing in my quiet ones but I have to crank up the volume to hear it. For all I know, cranking up the volume to hear the hiss could be the cause of the hiss. :O
I notice the hiss on my camera is also quite prominent when played backONTHE CAMERA. However, when the file is played on a computer, there really isn't as much hiss. I'm guessing the amp on the camera is not a high fidelity one.

Hope this helps!

Yes it is interesting that you get the same thing. I guess I am trying to determine whether to exchange mine or not. If this is how they are, then I may just get another with the same problem.

Having said that, have you tried recording in a room with just say the TV on or someone talking? Can you hear the hiss on the computer then?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:19 PM   #635

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I am still trying to work out if mine is exhibiting abnormal charactersistics, but I don't want to leave it too long and be stuck with it.
Well, the Sanyo warranty will cover you for 90-days labor and 1-year for parts - in the U.S., I think it's longer elsehwhere. You might even be able to buy a Macks warranty if you want.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:20 PM   #636

Where's everyone's HD700 non-problem videos?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:30 PM   #637

I responded to a post earlier where I stated that my 700 videos seemed to be as good in low light as those from my CG65. After looking at both cameras again, mainly just through the LCD, I'm not sure they are. I have both set to Vivid but the 700 definitely seems duller and less colorful. Playing around with the White balance setting, I found that using "one push" instead of auto brightens things up a tad. I'm still not sure that the picture is as bright as colorful as the CG65.

What is "One push"? The manual has little information.

What settings are you using for good indoor videos?
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 3:51 PM   #638

You may opt to return, the device, and await 7-10 days from Amazon. you may decide if it is worth keeping when newer models may be on the edge of release, then what other model will you go for andfind that may or may not be to your liking?

Now that I read the post and I am going to make 4 camera tests of sound just to

demo the soundquality. This is a Camera/Video site wouldn't you think there be a sample page for ALL those models reviewed:idea:
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 4:23 PM   #639

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
You may opt to return, the device, and await 7-10 days from Amazon. you may decide if it is worth keeping when newer models may be on the edge of release, then what other model will you go for andfind that may or may not be to your liking?
Doubt there will be any new models from Sanyo soon. The HD700 and HD1000 are new models. Then, I've been wrong before.:lol:

Maybe in September 2008? CES is next week in Vegas and who knows what goodies may be introduced then? Granted, anything new won't be out until September and definitely won't be discounted for a while.

I'd like to see Canon reshape and update the TX1, Panasonic to release the SD7 to the U.S., the Sanyo HD1000 minaturized...world peace...
Old Dec 30, 2007, 4:53 PM   #640

http://www.youtube.com/v/ddJJlo8TACo

4 camcorders sound test. I can go another 4 if like to makea total of 8, even 12 if like:G

Sound 1 best no noise -----10 extreme worse noise

the Jvc is analog. you'll hear its tape. 4

the casio is MP3stereo you'll notice any noise 1

Aiptek Mono 7

Sanyo 3-4
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote