Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 30, 2007, 4:58 PM   #641

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
I responded to a post earlier where I stated that my 700 videos seemed to be as good in low light as those from my CG65. After looking at both cameras again, mainly just through the LCD, I'm not sure they are.
Step away from the LCD. :-)

A few years ago I was rooked at the very last minute into using my brand new (less than a week old) and yet tested Canon miniDV camera and a friend's Sony miniDV camera to tape a ceremony. The setup was in the back of a long and pretty dim room with his pricey mixer array, wireless mikes, etc. My Canon was set to wide for the overall shot and his Sony was to be used for closeups of the ceremony, musicians, etc. I was to shoot and then edit the footage, mixing in the wide shots with the close-ups, using the audio from his Sony from the mixer.

Fifteen minutes before the thing began my friend arrives to let me in -- he was 45 minutes late! There was no prep or testing time. I immediately told my friend, who was part of the ceremony, that we needed some light, LOTS of light to shoot this properly. The place was very dim and looked like a cave on the LCDs. My friend smiled, assured me he knew what he was doing and proceeded to adjust his Sony until it looked darn right nice. I was immediately bummed I didn't get a Sony like his instead of my Canon -- ticked that I'd cut up the box and sent in the UPC codes for the rebate so I couldn't even return it.

My friend left me and the ceremony started. I manned the Sony and hated my dim dark Canon with the bottom tape feed, what was I thinking when I bought that? Then, five minutes in, someone further dimmed the already dim lights. Oh my God!

When it was over I took the cameras home and loaded the footage. To my surprice, both were dim, dark and ugly footage, my Canon was a hair brighter than the Sony, but still useless. Turned out that what my knowledgeable friend adjusted on his Sony was the brightness level on the LCD screen, not the camera gain. So while the screen looked good the footage was unusable. Audio was toast, too. He didn't set the mixer up properly.

The upside is that I didn't have to spend a week trying to edit it.

So, don't go by what you see on the LCD screen Run some real tests and then judge.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:06 PM   #642

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
4 camcorders sound test. I can go another 4 if like to makea total of 8, even 12 if like:G
Sound 1 best no noise -----10 extreme worse noise
the Jvc is analog. you'll hear its tape. 4
the casio is MP3stereo you'll notice any noise 1
Aiptek Mono 7
Sanyo 3-4
Interesting. The Sanyo was pretty darn quiet. The color changes were interesting though.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:40 PM   #643

thak you. hope it helpsout
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:50 PM   #644

I thought I start to read the manual and work on the sayo Project,in a different way.

I got passed the main photo andstopped on the 1st page

All those in the USA west coast should turn in their camcorders, they say it contains Lead . Oh well RGV you can just return that badboy not needed no more.

guess Us East coasters do not count. that means I'll fadeaway soon.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:35 PM   #645

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
You may opt to return, the device, and await 7-10 days from Amazon. you may decide if it is worth keeping when newer models may be on the edge of release, then what other model will you go for andfind that may or may not be to your liking?

Now that I read the post and I am going to make 4 camera tests of sound just to

demo the soundquality. This is a Camera/Video site wouldn't you think there be a sample page for ALL those models reviewed:idea:
I'll probably just do an exchange first. If I return it and then regret returning it and I want to try it again, they may still be at the full $500+ price then, so best to try another while I just paid the $299. If I am still not happy I can still return it after all.

Like I said, I had an unexplained issue with the autofocus, so this may just be the straw that breaks the camels back as far as exchanging it goes.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:37 PM   #646

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
What is "One push"? The manual has little information.
Sure it does, see page 112.

Basically, that's how you get a custom white balance for the lighting conditions you're shooting in. A lot of cameras (still and video) have a similar feature usually called Custom White Balance.

Fill the frame with a piece of white paper, press the Set button and the camera will create a custom white balance for you.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:40 PM   #647

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
What is "One push"? The manual has little information.
Sure it does, see page 112.

Basically, that's how you get a custom white balance for the lighting conditions you're shooting in. A lot of cameras (still and video) have a similar feature usually called Custom White Balance.

Fill the frame with a piece of white paper, press the Set button and the camera will create a custom white balance for you.
That is my way of doing a bluescreening allowing a adjustment to balance the white
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:31 PM   #648

For fun I put my HD700 on a tripod then turned it upside down for some low angle playing. Kind of fun: http://gallery.mac.com/crosby007#100233
Old Dec 31, 2007, 9:32 PM   #649

VB, very Interesting, the colours were true there, Wonder if a fish eye would help those scaling shots forexample the Pul toy from end to end.

loved the shots.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:47 AM   #650

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
VB, very Interesting, the colours were true there, Wonder if a fish eye would help those scaling shots forexample the Pul toy from end to end.

loved the shots.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

It's an intersting experiment. It was harder to do than I thought as you are quite a ways from the LCD trying the aim the camera, get somewhat level and not bang the camera into anything. I may make a rig to do this more as I like it. The guy that created the poor man's steadycam shows how on the bottom of his web page:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/