Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:50 AM   #61

Thank you, I updated and have write this important precision :-D

/// UPDATE : thank's Caleum, i correct it in my page...
anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 4:33 PM   #62

Anjoy, I don't mean to be a stickler, butsimply for clarification: subc was pointing out that on your web site is a non-HD version. The version embedded on your web site is and even lower quality 0.5Mbps video. It's fine, I'm just clarifying since you labelled it as 1.6Mbps (well actually you wrote MBps, which isinnacurate as well, sorry I can't help myself).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:40 PM   #63

Amazon just delivered my HD700 this afternoon and I have some initial impressions.

1. Indoor / Low light video is a little noisy (not entirely unexpected)
2. Start up time is great! Except... (see last point below)
3. Outdoor quality is exactly on par with what Caelum shot...his samples are one of the reasons I purchased the camera and I'm not disappointed
4. As Caelum said, it'll take some getting used to the 4:3 ratio on the 16:9 screen when taking still pictures
5. It's small! The perfect size IMHO
6. The codec is great. High quality and roughly 1MB per second of footage.
7. The lens zoom and focusing mechanisms can be heard in quiet scenes so it's something to be aware of in certain situations.
8. Finally and believe it or not the worst part about the camera, and what I was referencing above with startup time is the....LENS CAP. I've never had a Xacti before so this may be something others are used to, but it is rather annoying. I can't seem to get it off fast enough without feeling like I'm going to break something. It seems really stiff on there. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there third party caps that are better that may work? I really wish they had an auto sliding cap on there. It would have made a big difference.

Other than the lens cap thing, I am pleased. I will have to run it through the paces over the next few days, but based on my initial impressions, this seems like it's a keeper.
Ominx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:31 PM   #64

Caelum, I haven't been able to find a pdf of the user guide on the net anywhere so I was just wanting to know, does it charge over usb? If so can you also operate it while it is charging over usb?

The reason I ask is that I have an Aiptek Go-HD and it cannot operate while it is charging the battery over usb. I am wanting to attach it to my bicycle when racing, but most bike races are more than the battery life so I want to attach a usb battery pack to the camera.

Thanks,
Greg
ghulands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:52 PM   #65

here is the manual http://www.sanyo.de/produkte_daten/d...amera_GB_E.pdf

and i don't think there's an actual usb port on the camcorder itself... it has a dc input at the back. The battery does not recharge while in operation, though it will feed off external power i think.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 1:51 PM   #66

subc wrote:
Quote:
exteecha, I must say that for some reason your samples do not look nearly as good as the ones posted by Caelum...[...]
Hi subc, I checked out exteecha's short HD video and I agree it's a little hazy/fuzzy. I hadn't observed fuzziness like that in any of my footage, so it made me curious. I tried to locate the shadows on exteecha's video to see where the light source was, but I don't see clear shadows. So I think it must have been taken in the morning or evening with a much brighter sky than ground. It looks like what occurred was a light bloom effect.

I re-created something similar by filming footage of the ground lit by ambient light, then the moment the bright sky at the west (sun down) is in frame, I also got a light bloom effect where the bright light bleedsand washes out the video: light bloom effect when strong backlighting.

When filming towards the east (lit by sun, no backlighting) there is no bloom effect; there is some haze in the distance, but it'snatural (it was a hazy day). I also tested the digital zoom at the same time, I've never been a fan of digital zooms, still am not, I'm pretty sure I won't ever use it: landscape, distant detail anddigital zoom test.

I think, based on all my footage so far, thatthissituationis not typical.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:28 PM   #67

I purchased the HD700 from QVC and it arrived on Friday and since then have been recording a bit to try it out. Today I plugged it into HDMI socket on the tv to watch what I had recorded but I have a problem ... whenever the zoom in/out is used during recording on playback it is absolutely noisy - so much it takes away any pleasure of looking at the picture! I have read the manual, checked the troubleshooting and tried recording some more but I am so disappointed. :sad:

Does anyone know if this is normal? Is it supposed to be SO noisy? I am new to this - as I don't have the use of my right arm I have not been able to use a camcorder and when I saw this I thought it was ideal. I am able to operate it fine with my left hand but I have a major issue with the noise (loud motorised buzzing) of the zoom feature on playback.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE?
CYMRAES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:47 PM   #68

CYMRAES wrote:
Quote:
[...]Does anyone know if this is normal?[...]
How does it compare tomy samples? Tryplaying whatsubc uploaded to Vimeo, thereare a number of scenes that fully use the optical zoom;you can turn "HD off",it should play smoother, justto hear the audio (oh, I tried it and noticed the sound is also highly compressed on Vimeo, it sounds compressed, but the volume is the same).
Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:04 PM   #69

Hi Caelum, firstly thank you for replying so quickly. I have had a look at your film and it's very impressive. When I playback my footage the zooming in and out is heard loudly and when you have done so there is a clunk noise when you stop the zoom. I have even played music with some volume filming in the house just to try it out and the zoom is heard over it! You can't hear it on your film at all.
You say switch off HD - do you mean before starting to record? If this is the case I wouldn't get HD playback though would I.
CYMRAES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:47 PM   #70

CYMRAES wrote:
Quote:
[...]You say switch off HD[...]
Iwas talking aboutVimeo, there is an HD on/off switch there in the online video... nothing to do with the camera. The "clunk" when stopping the zoom is most likely the thumb letting go quickly of the zoom button (it springs back). It's possible you have a defective zoom, but I really wouldn't know.