Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:54 AM   #741

http://www.vimeo.com/616804

Here's a clip from a Lakers game at Staples Center. It was from section 301. Wished that there's 10X optical zoom on this. Can just almost see the faces with 5X.
jd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:22 PM   #742

Does everyone get what I believe is called lens "smear"? I get the purple solid lines fairly regularly indoors and my only solution is to point/angle the lens down to shield it more from the light source. Obviously it is best to avoid shooting directly into the light. But sometimes this is impossible though since it can be unpredictable when they appear. Is there anything to help reduce these semi-solid purple lines (settings wise or shooting wise)? Compared to your units do you think my hd700 could be defective or more severe?
Attached Images

bobbyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:59 PM   #743

Bobby...... The Purple smear or star trek beas I like to call are perectly notmal. in daylight indoor or night time they are there. some say you must use a hood.

I found it happens in certain conditions

If I am filming at night one street lamp will cause that problem while others not, I have tried different settings andstill get it

this is why OI preferre a Cmos sensor over a CCD cmos will not do tht at all possably a lil but 99% perfect.

Here is a shot I am working on balance or clouds as m next vid, too windy where I filmed the Sun was behin this cloud and if only if that Purple smear was nott here it be a perfect Flare. so yes it happ'ed to me too.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:58 PM   #744

Re: lens smear

There's a thread in the Hybrid forum that has a link to this article:

http://dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/

which discusses some of the issues with CMOS vs. CCD sensors, including smear ...

"Any bright point of light can potentially cause smear; common offenders include street lights and car headlights; it can also happen if the camera is shooting footage of a camera flash, or even the sun. Avoiding smear involves lowering the exposure enough that the bright lights don't bloom and trigger a column of smearing; stopping down the iris to bring down the brightness of the bright lights can eliminate smear entirely, but also may cause the overall picture to be too dark. Smear is also one of the "dead giveaways" that your production was shot on video rather than on film; film doesn't "smear" like this. Controlled lighting can eliminate all traces of smear, but in uncontrolled circumstances it's going to happen. CMOS sensors function differently and are immune to smear."
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:15 PM   #745

Cmos will have smear about 1-5 % rather say impossable it is possble
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:22 PM   #746

jd2k1 wrote:
Quote:
http://www.vimeo.com/616804

Here's a clip from a Lakers game at Staples Center. It was from section 301. Wished that there's 10X optical zoom on this. Can just almost see the faces with 5X.
Hey, that looks pretty good. Love the cameraman on the left holding that beast above his head for so long.

All you need is the seat next to Nicholson. :-)
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:01 PM   #747

Does anyone notice the difference between the super high quality high definition and the regular high quality high definition? I can get more then double the time on an 8GB card.. but is there a noticeable difference in quality?
djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:03 PM   #748

Some other questions:

Just got my Sanyo HD700 and have some questions:

1. What is the best shutter speed to be on to get good panning shots? I am told 1/60 would be good. I have the camera on "p" and then I can change the shutter speed/

2. What are the best focus settings to have it focus correctly most of the time.. There seems to be 2 menu opions both with settings..

3. case? is there a case I can put it in and still put it in my pocket? also a small case to carry the camera and accessories?

5. what are the best settings for night shooting say in NYC or on a cruise ship.

6. What about super high quality HD VS regular high quality HD? is there a big difference is quality?

anything else I should know? I love this camera..

Thanks..
djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:27 AM   #749

djqwik wrote:
Quote:
Some other questions:

1. What is the best shutter speed to be on to get good panning shots? I am told 1/60 would be good. I have the camera on "p" and then I can change the shutter speed/

2. What are the best focus settings to have it focus correctly most of the time.. There seems to be 2 menu opions both with settings..

3. case? is there a case I can put it in and still put it in my pocket? also a small case to carry the camera and accessories?

5. what are the best settings for night shooting say in NYC or on a cruise ship.

6. What about super high quality HD VS regular high quality HD? is there a big difference is quality?

Thanks..
Good panning shot--I'm assuming you really mean picture and not video because shutter speed doesn't affect video--will vary greatly on how fast you're panning and the distance between the object and the camera.

I use the 2nd setting(mountain + person) for focus. If you have a very close up shot it's better to set it to Macro(flower) manually than let the camera hunt and hunt for focus in total range mode. As for the other focus option, it's for the camera to decide what area in the frame to focus. 9AF means it will try to get everything in the 3x3 matrix. Spot focus will only focus in the center.

HD2 belt clip case seems to work fine for me.

I don't like to use this camera in low light condition. I just can't get it to capture any decent footage so I gave up on low light.

I find that regular HQ is good enough if there's relatively low motion. SHQ gives you more bitrate to work with to capture motion. I use SHQ all the time. Even at SHQ, don't expect to capture fast motion without macroblocks.
jd2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:08 AM   #750

djqwik Posting in the Hybrid your same questions? would have been moved, but deleted due to Duplicate posts and wrong thread no harm no foul. best place for yourr response is in a Sanyo Thread. Sorry bud

According to your questions.

You must read the manual take it in to the office, that is a bathroom, even if you have to take the camera in, you can wipe the camera as well if you pass to other members :G

You are going on a cruise and need fast info, it is best not to take this with you, if you're not going to sit down and learn the 600 plus device, you may just not be happy, One Must read that manual-you basicaly can skip one or two manuals yes but the main one you may learn alot. the 1st 67 pages give excellent info on how to use and set up. may be passed , if not want to but read all the pages it is short and painless..

Panning and shutter speed.

POST a VIDEO i am sure those who have time will help. if you find a speed in video let us all know? there should not be any and you must learn how to film, close shots pann faster , long shots pann slower, I think not. short shots will just be missed, so correct distance and speed is needed by the user,and leads to a tripod. read a book about filming I would if needed to tweak my skills, and I know i sure need them.

when you say focual settings Explain with greatdetail, with less info making us render the info or look for it will only baffle the members those who own or not will guessimate?

cases el cheapo a sock, a better one a store with camera in hand, I stick mine in the Pocket and use what came with the camera, check local stores for aftermarkets check site for sanyo logo items

Night Mode scenic setting or pg 224 plus drops hints. No light no video low light and on object will get video. practice at night see what you can capture if video or photo difference in photo and video so use the manaul and ISO settings learn them save them to the certain buttons that are in a manual that will help you later on called short cuts.

If you are going to edit any video or photo it i best to preserve orginals. shq or Hd ?

these questions are surely in here just too many pages of them LOL

the second setting waht would that be called? full focal range. landscaping or scenicsetting landscape?

jd2k1 wrote:
Quote:
djqwik wrote:
Quote:
Some other questions:

Thanks..
Good panning shot--I'm assuming you really mean picture and not video because shutter speed doesn't affect video--will vary greatly on how fast you're panning and the distance between the object and the camera.

I use the 2nd setting(mountain + person) for focus. If you have a very close up shot it's better to set it to Macro(flower) manually than let the camera hunt and hunt for focus in total range mode. As for the other focus option, it's for the camera to decide what area in the frame to focus. 9AF means it will try to get everything in the 3x3 matrix. Spot focus will only focus in the center.

HD2 belt clip case seems to work fine for me.

I don't like to use this camera in low light condition. I just can't get it to capture any decent footage so I gave up on low light.

I find that regular HQ is good enough if there's relatively low motion. SHQ gives you more bitrate to work with to capture motion. I use SHQ all the time. Even at SHQ, don't expect to capture fast motion without macroblocks.