Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:26 PM   #831

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am realistic in my expectations but it was a combination of factors for me. In the usual situations I was using it, tI felt that there was just 'something not quite right' and I did give it the benefit of the doubt for as long as I could but alas I felt it was better to return it this time.
Wasn't speaking specifically to you rgvcam. I see a lot of posts from people complaining that the camera doesn't do things it wasn't intended to do. It's a cool pocket camera, not a impossible-image cam. There are very very few much larger (with larger sensors, too) and more expensive camcorders that actually work decently in low light. Then, I've seem complaints about $6k+ cameras not being what the owners wanted when it comes to low light.

This is not directed at you. The HD700 is a very small pocket camcorder that does a heck of a nice job in decent conditions with a user that learns to use the controls. If you want low noise you need to turn off the auto ISO mode and manually set an ISO that gives you acceptable grain/noise. If you don't then the cameras going to bump the ISO way up. High ISO on a small sensor camera and you get noise -- just like high ISO on film cameras gave you grain. You make a choice, if you can't stand the noise, then don't take the shot. If the shot is more important then you live with the noise.

If you have to shoot under those conditons then you have to be willing to accept the results.

You can get a bigger sensor camcorder, the Canon HV20 is a darn nice one for instance. It won't fit in your pocket which, for me, means it'll stay home more. The HD1000 with its f1.8 lens would definitely be better than the HD700 in low light, it's more than twice the price we lucked into on the HD700. I looked at one seriously before getting the HD700, it was too big for my pocket. I have three other camcorders that are too big for my pocket so they stay at home. It's a choice.

If you do find a pocket HD camcorder that does great low noise low light video and stills, with a powerful room filling flash, and you don't need a time machine to go into the future to get it, PLEASE let me know. Until then, I'll enjoy using my HD700.

visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:44 PM   #832

jd2k1 wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to have to agree with you, rgvcam ,on how noisy it gets when you use the flash. Unless you bought this camera to shoot videos at your own home--which defeats the purpose of having a portable camera-- it's not possible to just add more bulbs. Like I said before in a previous post, I gave up on low light situation whether it's still or video but I'm still keeping it because with ample amount of light the footage is quite exceptional.
You, may be one of few that is willing to even add more lights at least at home. I thank that's great.

Ever see a TV cameraperson with their very expensive shoulder mount video camera in a low light situation? You'll also see at least an on camera light, maybe even others. Those cameras are WAY better than the HD700 (and a heck of a lot of others) in low light but they're not relying on the camera's low light capability, they use lights because they want good quality video or you and I will change channels.

For portable stuff in very low light there's things you can get. The CameraBright light unit is an example. Still portable. http://www.camerabright.com/ There's assorted other options.

People (in general, not referring to you) seem to be more interested in complaining about what things won't do as opposed to investigating what they can do to get the results they want.

Example: "I want to shoot in low light but my camera isn't really a low llight camera. Hmm. I can add one of those inexpensive Sima (or other) video lights and that will let me to stay portable, set the ISO so I stay low noise, and get decent shots in low light."

I don't shoot under those type of conditions, just not a need for me. If it were I'd get a couple of those $10 hiking headlamps and figure out a way to rig those to my HD700 when needed (Velcro?).
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:52 PM   #833

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Today, I thought i stretch my fingers. when I stepped outside, I ran back in, and got only a few secs of film. i am amazed to see a Horse patrol, the last time was around 10 years ago my big dawg Sam, was shocked. LOL the littled dog barking was 60 feet away.
You should be here. I see people on horses riding down side street fairly often. Some places here you'll see regular home with a small farm inbetween them. This is right in the city, not off in the country. I was driving around and saw a emu farm on the end of a block.

There's a farm in the middle of the block not far from me and people are always pulling over to feed some of the animals. A couple of miles from that one, on a main street, in the middle of another block is a small farm with lamas and other unusual animals.

Hmm. I think I just came up with something else to video. :-)
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:39 PM   #834

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote: If you want low noise you need to turn off the auto ISO mode and manually set an ISO that gives you acceptable grain/noise. If you don't then the cameras going to bump the ISO way up. High ISO on a small sensor camera and you get noise -- just like high ISO on film cameras gave you grain. You make a choice, if you can't stand the noise, then don't take the shot. If the shot is more important then you live with the noise.

I
What a good ISO to shoot in with this camera? I have a FUJI Digital still camera (almost a DSLR without the removeable lens) and I shoot at ISO 200 mostly and get great shots.. should this camera work well in ISO 200? also when using the automatic ISO, is there a setting it generally goes to? my FUJI tells me but I noticed the sanyo just says AUTO and didnt tell me what it was shooting video in..

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 4:44 AM   #835

sanyo;

given a disk and also can be found online, they show many ways to snap a shot ,video or photo.

I am sure it is made for the sanyo xacti Hd 700, they give excellent pointers how to and gets you basically to the set up shot.

Did Sanyo just waste their valuable time and professional help. ifyou ask me none someor most are not watching or learning the curves of the camera.

this is a model that has many manual controls, I preferre to let the camera do its job, and happy with what it can do? Too many icons controls style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" and setting up loses that shot for me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"No the ISO is not goingto show wouldcost $$$ to add on the cam only FPX anbd shutter are icritical crucial or priority

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Ask Sanyo maybe they'll build their next with it?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I preferre to see battery icon over a other
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 2:34 PM   #836

http://www.betterphoto.com/online-ph...hy-courses.asp

goingthrough an old mag maybe this will help out
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:16 PM   #837

djqwik wrote:
Quote:
What a good ISO to shoot in with this camera? I have a FUJI Digital still camera (almost a DSLR without the removeable lens) and I shoot at ISO 200 mostly and get great shots.. should this camera work well in ISO 200? also when using the automatic ISO, is there a setting it generally goes to? my FUJI tells me but I noticed the sanyo just says AUTO and didnt tell me what it was shooting video in.
Depends on the circumstances. If you don't like noise more than you don't like getting an image, then ISO 200 or 400 are the limits. Above that and you'll get camera noise. It's best to run your own tests to see what you like though. The nice thing about digita cameras is that you get instant results.

There's some good suggestions and samples here:
http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:07 AM   #838

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
djqwik wrote:
Quote:
What a good ISO to shoot in with this camera? I have a FUJI Digital still camera (almost a DSLR without the removeable lens) and I shoot at ISO 200 mostly and get great shots.. should this camera work well in ISO 200? also when using the automatic ISO, is there a setting it generally goes to? my FUJI tells me but I noticed the sanyo just says AUTO and didnt tell me what it was shooting video in.
Depends on the circumstances. If you don't like noise more than you don't like getting an image, then ISO 200 or 400 are the limits. Above that and you'll get camera noise. It's best to run your own tests to see what you like though. The nice thing about digita cameras is that you get instant results.

There's some good suggestions and samples here:
http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html
Same as my Fuji Still camera.. I shoot at ISO 200 all the time unless I am doing shots with a tripod, then I shoot at ISO100 and use the self timer...

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:09 PM   #839

Looks like you have really tried to find the right one ! I started to look at the HD1, but all the online reviews and footage suggested it was not up to the job. Then last Easter I saw the HD2 in Dixons tax-free, I bought it and used it for a 1 week holiday. I was impressed by it's size and features. Still images were very good, video was just short of what I really expected of HD - too many artifacts. The image stability was also a problem. I already have a Sony P120 for stills and a superb (but bulky) Sony SR1 HDV camcorder - so had no reason to keep it. Loved the size and convenience, but not quite right yet.

Now I see the HD1000 - big lens, looks easier to hold steady, but I have not had an opportunity to try it out - it is more expensive, and not as svelte and pocketable as the HD1 or HD2. Now I am thinking - is the HD 700 a better option ? It looks like an improved HD2 and is smaller and cheaper to boot. Has it improved enough is my question. My feeling is that the HD1000 is getting close to the excellent Canon and Sony AVCHD SD camcorders in size and price - and both of them are confirmed quality HD camcorders. Also the lower-res stills on the HD1000 is bad - kind of defeats the hybrids's benefit of a dual-purpose unit.

Do you think the HD 700 will let me keep my existing still and HD camcorder at home - most of the time ? I have no issue reserving my SR1 for longer, jmportant footage. I am hoping the HS 700 will replace my still camera WITH the option of better than HD2 level HD video.
smudgermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:23 PM   #840

I'm new to the forum, and just finished working my way through the entire strand. I appreciate the info and insight that you all have provided.
A few pages back Jellyman asked if a usb powered drive(as opposed to one with it's own power supply), would work with the Library feature? I may have missed the answer, but don't think I ever saw one Would someone clarify this issue?

bobballoo is offline   Reply With Quote