Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:56 AM   #81

The camera still worked in the base station eg. still displayed files from my attached hard drive and displayed the menu on the TV but all I could get on the camera display was an out of focus image. The camera was kept in its fleecey bag overnight so could not have been subjected to any sharp impacts!!! In any case If there one duff product in a thousand boxes trust me, I will get it!
exteecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:21 AM   #82

if you could still access the menu on tv... have you tried the 'reset settings' command on the menu? just in case you haven't tried everything yet
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:51 AM   #83

Great idea! I unpacked it and tried but still no good. Thanks all the same. I hoped that when I put the battery back in it might return to normal operation but it looks like it needs an exchange.
exteecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:26 AM   #84

I just bought one and its on the way! I'm taking a trip to NYC next weekend so this should be perfect.
Schafeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:59 PM   #85

Hi - Sorry to ask a complete idiot question, but did you by any chance perhaps set the focus to manual? That would explain why you were getting nothing but an out of focus image on your screen.

Now, on my HD1000, I noticed that the camera DOES NOT LIKE images shot on the same SD card by other digital cameras. I had left some Canon 710is images on my SDHC card and the screen on the HD 1000 went all bonkers on me until I formatted the card in the Sanyo. I mean, I was getting extreme psychedelic colours and jaggies, and no, I wasn't on 'shrooms. :?

I've noticed that formatting doesn't ALWAYS overwrite other files. I've formatted cards and then had, to my surprise, images show up on the display of one camera that I knew I had shot with another. So when you combine that with the Sanyo's apparent rabid dislike of other camera images....might be worth it to try a different card if the new HD 700 you ordered has the same issue ( God forbid!).
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:21 AM   #86

First time, that HD700 is available in color brown: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110187440355

Seller told me, item is really in stock and ready to ship. What do you think? A Japanese grey import?

berniep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 1:45 PM   #87

A bought a camera (Sanyo CG6) from that same seller, x1387, and had a positive experience - camera came in 2 days and seller was responsive to email. It may be that the Sanyo warranty does not apply since it comes shipped from Asia, but the seller did offer a cheap 3 year SquareTrade warranty.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 2:09 PM   #88

Caelum,

The video samples you posted were pretty amazing and the hand jitter was minimal on non-zoomed scenes. That's probably because of the Sanyo Ergonomic design.

A couple things I have questions on:

1) When you were at max zoom the jitter seemed a little annoying. I assume that's because any jitter from your hand is magnified by the degreee of zoom. IE: A simple 1 degree of jitter error from your hand to a close subject becomes 5 degrees of jitter at 5x zoom. I assume this could be eliminated using some sort of tripod or steadicam mount. (It does have a tripod mount, correct?)

2) When you were panning in almost all of the videos, there seemed to be a high degree of pan "vibration" (I don't know the actual term). I know cinematographers have to pan slowly on film cameras since they are running at 24p. Is this the same effect in HD 720/30p? Do you just have to be careful to pan slowly?

Otherwise it's an amazing cam and thanks for posting.

Eris
Boulder, CO

eris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:18 PM   #89

I have a theory about the panning issues some folks are having. I personally think it's a combination of two things: (1) EIS being couter-productive (which can cause jerkiness/stuttering in worst case scenarios), and (2) fast shutter speeds (which can cause a distinct stutter itself). Anyone else agree?
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:23 PM   #90

The EIS were turned off for those sample footage files... so i guess it boils down to a very tiny and light weight device absorbing the shakes of hand holding
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote