Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 8, 2008, 8:21 AM   #891

bobballoo wrote
Quote:
HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE A 22mm adhesive ring in U.S.? ALSO VISORBLUE, DID YOU EVER EXPERIMENT WITH TRIMMING THE RING THAT COMES WITH THE PHOENIX .045?
Yep, I saw some lens sets on Ebay U.S. including 3 rings.
Search for "WIDE ANGLE MAGNETIC LENS" (I found a M.Power small 0.45x magnetic wide angle lens, and even a small 0.38x magnetic super wide angle/fish eye lens). They have large and small versions. They say small lens fits cameras with 10-17mm (3/8" - 11/16") diameter of the front lens. I think large is the 27mm diameter and small is the 22mm diameter you are looking for.
*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:00 AM   #892

*derxxsfilmer* wrote:
Quote:
They say small lens fits cameras with 10-17mm (3/8" - 11/16") diameter of the front lens. I think large is the 27mm diameter and small is the 22mm diameter you are looking for.
You want the LARGE version of the lens as the small version vignettes in still mode. However, the small rings will fit better. No one's selling the small rings separately that I can find so far. Haven't found phone numbers for Phoenix or anyone else to order one from.
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:08 AM   #893

bobballoo wrote:
Quote:
HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE A 22mm adhesive ring in U.S.? ALSO VISORBLUE, DID YOU EVER EXPERIMENT WITH TRIMMING THE RING THAT COMES WITH THE PHOENIX .045?
I went to a hardware store yesterday and bought a 22mm machine bushing (or whatever it's called, "machine" is part of it). It's about three times as thick as the rings that come with the lens and has a smaller opening. I was thinking of playing with a rotary (aka Dremel) tool to see if I could open it up a bit.

I did take one of the 27mm rings that came with the large lens and cut it into a "C" shape to allow for the lens cap on the left (looking at the front of the camera) and have played a bit with the placement on the right edge trying to allow the cap to snap in place. No luck with my dry runs yet. Will probably have to affix it to see how it works. Will do that today and let you know.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:45 AM   #894

paulgoelz wrote:
Quote:
As far as I know, there IS a difference between using an HDMI cable and component video. Component video is analog, so the digital image(s) have to be converted back to analog to use a component video cable. The HDMI connection is (I believe) digital all the way to the screen in an LCD monitor so there is no intervening D/A and accompanying decompression. Since Circuit City has one for less than $10, I figure it is worth a try.

Paul
OK, to close the loop.... I tried using an HDMI cable last night and no, there was no real difference between the HDMI and component video playback as viewed on my widescreen monitor. Both still look worse than the same file played back on my laptop. Stills in particular look far worse played back in the camera and viewed on the monitor vs. opening the file in any PC based software or the viewer in XP. Not sure why.... possibilities include sub-par decompression in the camera and pixel interpolation in the monitor. The monitor is 1440 X 900, which is not the camera's native resolution.

On the subject of HDMI cables.... wow, what a rip off! Depending on how much hype you buy, they go for between $50 and $100 in the stores. I managed to find one at Circuit City that was marked $49 but ended up costing $10 after they matched their web price. Not sure about the high priced cables, but this one is so thick and stiff that you have to carefully form it or it will tip the docking base over.

Paul
paulgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:33 PM   #895

visorblue wrote:
Quote:
*derxxsfilmer* wrote:
Quote:
They say small lens fits cameras with 10-17mm (3/8" - 11/16") diameter of the front lens. I think large is the 27mm diameter and small is the 22mm diameter you are looking for.
You want the LARGE version of the lens as the small version vignettes in still mode. However, the small rings will fit better. No one's selling the small rings separately that I can find so far. Haven't found phone numbers for Phoenix or anyone else to order one from.
I can highly recommend the small lens/22mm ring combi . It´s perfect for the hd-video mode and it has a great hold, you can push and shake the cam, the lens sticks to. Plus it brings also a much better hold for the large 27mm lenses and the lenscap still fits.
Ok, the small lens (22mm at bottom) vignettes a little in still and 4:3 video modes (but the ring itself has zero affect). Anyway, I don´t use wide-angle lens for stills, because the FOV is already wide enough for my taste (also in 16:9 still mode). Maybe I´ll try the small bottom 0.38x fish eye lens I just found on ebay us.

*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:13 PM   #896

On the Phoenix M-Power (Large) 0.45x lens - the "C" shape didn't work as I could secure the lens cap with it -- maybe I didn't try hard enough. With the C-shaped ring it was a much better hold than the HD700 alone, a shake will still dislodge it but takes more of a shake than without the ring. I could almost pick the camera up by the lens.

Since I'd already peeled off the backing I had to work fast with another mod and try not to touch the glue side, so it's not pretty or an accurate placement. I made two arcs (see picture), leaving space on the left and right for the cap connections. The arcs extend just a bit above the top and below the bottom of the front of the HD700. This seems to work pretty well. Even in the arc shapes the ring gives more hold to the lens than the HD700 alone did. I like it! I'm keeping this setup.

Later, I may measure and cut the remaining ring for a nicer look...or I may not, who sees it but me? Granted, if I ever run into fishycomics he'll probably point at me and laugh. :lol:

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:34 PM   #897

*derxxsfilmer* wrote:
Quote:
Ok, the small lens (22mm at bottom) vignettes a little in still and 4:3 video modes (but the ring itself has zero affect). Anyway, I don´t use wide-angle lens for stills, because the FOV is already wide enough for my taste (also in 16:9 still mode).
Well, if you or someone else finds a source for the 22mm rings, let me know, that would be an easier way to do it but with only the 27mm rings to work with cutting them like I did is a viable solution. Would I get the small lens, no. I use the wide angle in stills and going back a few pages you can see how much it vignettes. Much prefer the option to go full wide whether I use it or not.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 1:51 PM   #898

Lol. I happen to find two shimmies of the larger size if I find the smaller one I'll keep in mind to tell.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 2:14 PM   #899

SO let me ask this.. Ive been reading about the image stabilization on the HD700. I see how when on, it re-frames the video. Does it really make that much difference when shooting HD with the camera? I watched the video demo someone shoot with the books and saw how much it cropped off, but does it change the quality of the final product? I havent shot with it yet but I assume the screen will show the framing difference when shooting.

Also how is everyone getting such viberent colors? mine look washed out. Also, what is the least expensive editing program for the PC that will let me do FULL video editing, titles, fades, wipes etc and still keep the video in the correct HD fornat for the camera and hard drive library.

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 2:49 PM   #900

djqwik wrote:
Quote:
SO let me ask this.. Ive been reading about the image stabilization on the HD700. I see how when on, it re-frames the video. Does it really make that much difference when shooting HD with the camera? I watched the video demo someone shoot with the books and saw how much it cropped off, but does it change the quality of the final product? I havent shot with it yet but I assume the screen will show the framing difference when shooting.
I have found it is a mixed bag.

With "high sensitivity" off, it works pretty well but depending on subject material it can sometimes unlock and reframe abruptly enough to actually add some unwanted jitter. In general, it seems to work best when stabilizing hand held stationary zoomed in shots... just to remove hand shake. If you add camera movements, it can be a little unpredictable.

With "high sensitivity" on, it can get very confused and add a lot more jitter than you would have without it.

My initial experience, anyway... I've only had the camera for a couple days.

Can't answer your other questions.... I am in the "old hardware" trap right now. My laptop is a 1.5GHz Thinkpad X41 and it plays the files pretty well, but I haven't installed any editing software since it is a laptop. My desktop is a PIII 650 and the included editing software won't even install. I'm thinking this is a good time to make a quantum leap in desktop performance. So for now, I save files and defer editing for later

Paul
paulgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote