Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:43 PM   #961

Guys, what is your estimation of the approximate rendering time for 30 minutes of h.264 rendered to widescreen DVD format in Elements 3.0 on a 3GHz machien? On my dual core 3GHz machine (Core Duo E8400), it takes upwards or 8-10 hours. Seems like a long time but I don't have anything to compare it to on that machine. While it is rendering, the CPU is running 50-60 percent utilized, with the bulk of that on one core. Does that sound in the ballpark or should I be looking for a bottleneck somewhere?

Paul
paulgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:52 PM   #962

Yawn, yawn I am making a under 2 min vid no special stuf a song muted sound opacity two videos lowered and 6-8 clips total. 1 hour later 30 min to go. LMAO

and it is 640x480 res. rendered to win media due to finding QT will not give me my size, or Mpeg1 needs a key code LOL
win media player 1280x720 720P

paulgoelz wrote:

Quote:
Guys, what is your estimation of the approximate rendering time for 30 minutes of h.264 rendered to widescreen DVD format in Elements 3.0 on a 3GHz machien? On my dual core 3GHz machine (Core Duo E8400), it takes upwards or 8-10 hours. Seems like a long time but I don't have anything to compare it to on that machine. While it is rendering, the CPU is running 50-60 percent utilized, with the bulk of that on one core. Does that sound in the ballpark or should I be looking for a bottleneck somewhere?

Paul
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:31 PM   #963

http://www.vimeo.com/688326allow 15 mins from time.

Here is a 640x480 resolution shot from the sanyo xacti hd700 using Adobe premier to edit, andsave Not a great fan ofAdobe, hard to add a simplef ade for me. Hard to render back to quicktime of same file format somehow Adobe may like Win media player just a tad more.

Enjoy the footage there is a part I like vid 4 being a low light situation and best of all gave a great look when watching, my opinion thanks

Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:37 PM   #964

OK, so CPU speed and utilization aside, it sounds like I am in the ballpark....

I am interested though in why you are using both CPUs to near capacity and I am not. I noticed that when I opened Elements, the CPU went to 100% several times but while rendering it stays under 60%.

Something else I noticed last night. I finally got my camera footage to play on the PC reasonably well by using ffdshow and Media Player Classic. It was not perfect but it was close. Periodically, the noise in darker areas would intensify. This seemed to coincide with when ffdshow "skipped deblocking" because the delay went past the 350mS specified in the configuration box. It appears as though ffdshow skips deblocking periodically (whatever that is) in order to hold the audio / video delay under whatever maximum you specifiy. During the time leading up to the skip, the grain intensifies and then after the skip, it smooths out. When it is intensified, it looks a lot like it looks when played back in the camera. Maybe there is a smoothing / de-noising step in playback that is missing in the camera?

I just stumbled on a player called CoolDVD Player

http://www.secoolsoft.com/cool-dvd-player/index.htm

that claims to be the first DVD player to support dual core CPUs. It also says it supports MP4 but does not specifically mention h.264. I am not at home now but I installed it where I am and it can play the AIPTEK GO-HD sample video on a 2.4GHz single core CPU..... not sure if the sample video is really h.264 or not but the AIPTEK site says that it requires Quicktime to play it so maybe it is?

Looks like interesting software. $29 to buy but you can download a time limited free trial.

Paul
Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:46 PM   #965

I turn the pc on and use it what it does I have the slightest idea.

Aiptek H264. yit is 720p it is behind the scenes who knows. they do a good job covering thei ract. I also use the program they give a player from total media it de-interlaces etc works for me.

paulgoelz wrote:
Quote:
OK, so CPU speed and utilization aside, it sounds like I am in the ballpark....

Paul
Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:57 PM   #966

I also have an issue with PE3 .. WHen I try to preview the video it is jumpy... like 1 frame at a time but the audio is fine.. it also take a LONG time to render to DVD.. a 10 minute video I edited took about 4-5 hours to render to SD WIDE SCREEN DVD .. I have a pentium 4 3 GHZ 1GB ram XP PRO

Thanks...

djqwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:03 PM   #967

I think I read in the documentation somewhere that preview in Elements might not be "full quality" but that the rendered video will be. I get the same thing on my machine.... jumpy preview, good audio and VERY long render times. Like maybe one frame per second.

Paul
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:07 PM   #968

aiptek requires 2.0 or higher i am at 2.5 so all works out here newer programs are slower can understand but hate to see a slo mo edit and no tranistions. oh well
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:24 PM   #969

Hey, while we're talking about editors and players.... anyone know if there is a place where you can download the Media Player decoder that Aiptek distributes with their cameras? I know I can order the CD for about $10 shipped, but if there is a place to download it.....

I had an AIPTEK a week or two ago and installed the software on my laptop and it plays h.264 in Media Player fairly well. At the time I didn't have a powerful enough desktop so I never installed it on the desktop. I returned the camera so I don't have the CD any more.

Paul
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:27 PM   #970

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
and it is 640x480 res. rendered to win media due to finding QT will not give me my size, or Mpeg1 needs a key code LOL
The MPEG2 encoder requires activation but it is free. You just click the link, give them your info, and the site gives you the activation code which you paste into the code box in Elements. They ask for an Email but you don't have to give them your real Email because they don't send the activation to it.

I assume MPEG1 would be the same?

Paul