Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:49 PM   #1

I just bought a Sanyo Xacti C6 and I love the size of it along with the features. What I don't like is how the indoors photos look good on the small screen but once I transfer them look blurry.I have it set on Auto 5 point Focus, AutoScene Select, No filter, with A stablizer, multi exposure measure, auto iso, auto white balance, and auto flash.

IS there anything I can change or do to reduce the blurriness of these non action, low light photos?

Thanks.

Tim
AiptekFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:04 PM   #2

Are you sure it's the C6? I didn't think it was being sold anymore seing that the CG6 pretty well replaced it. Anyhow, you mention "A stabilizer", but the electronic stabilizer does not workfor stills (photos), only for video. Other than adding more light to your scene, the only real solution to avoid blur is a tripod. I often carry with me the Gorillapod, it's small, lightweight, flexible and very versatile as you can attach it to almost anything. Note that the C6 does pixel mixing to increase low light sensitivity, but itonly works for video as well, as I explained in a previous thread (<-click). Edit: oh, the other trick is using the timer to avoid causing movement by pressing on the shutter button, I use this trick all the time: basically, set up your shot, set the timer, press the shutter, then hold the camera very steady, and maybe even your breath, wait for it to shoot; generally you can take a fairly steady shot with this trick.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:14 AM   #3

My mistake the model I own is Sanyo VPC-CG65. I read somewhere to use ISO of 400 and manual focus. I'll try that and see if it works.

Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:48 PM   #4

Well, the question is why the photos are blurry. Maybe it is a long exposure and you aren't holding still enough (the "stabliizer" is only for video, not stills). Very few people can hold a 1/2 second exposure still enough, for example, especially at the telephoto end. The old 1/focal length rule for exposure times is still pretty good, for this camera that would be (about) 1/150 second at full telephoto, 1/40 second at wide. Maybe the camera didn't focus either because the light was too low, or because you didn't give it a contrasty object to focus on (for example, the camera can't focus on a blank white wall even in good light). If you were to post a sample people could give a better opinion of what might be going wrong. "Low light" to one person, is another person's "dark" or "dim". If you mention the exposure and f stop and ISO that the camera is using, that will tell others exactly how low a lighting situation you are dealing with.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:56 PM   #5

Yeah, I didn't think about your shots just being "out of focus", as brachiopod points out.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:46 PM   #6

Ok the first two are ones I took at different ISO settings. The last two are ones I took with 400 ISO setting and manual focus. See how the first two seem blury and slightly out of focus. The second group was taken in a bar with low lighting while the first was taken in a room with just overhead lighting avail.

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/6a4c0e03e9_0.11MB

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/6a4c0e03e9_0.11MB

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/1c656be44f_2.92MB

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/21c25ded7f_1.54MB

Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:07 AM   #7

The first two links point to the same file and it's a VGA (640x480) resolution photo whereas the last two are 6MP (2816 x 2112)photos.A0.3MP resolution photo will be much less crisp than a 6MP photo. Also there is movement in that photo with indoor lighting only;you would need morelight or use theflash to freeze movement.

Oh, and I see it is a C6 you are using.