Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 26, 2007, 4:11 AM   #1

I've taken all these footage with EIS (electronic stabilization) on. Since HD1000 already crops the sensor during filming with or without it, i figure most users will have it on in practice. From my own experiment, the EIS doesn't affect detail and sharpness like the CG/CA line (which first crops, then zooms back in). Plus with HD1000's 10x zoom, you will unlikely get good steady shots without a tripod or EIS. All other settings are on auto, such as ISO and white balance.

Anyways, the first file is http://mihd.net/onjisw (around 40 MB)
These are 640x480 files, same scene shot in 30fps and 60fps. This is for you to judge whether the higher fps will be important to your shooting. I shot them at 640x480 because most normal computers will not be able to handle 720p at 60fps.

http://mihd.net/3iwre4 (around 164 MB)
These are 720p 30fps files of daylight shooting.

http://mihd.net/7bt2kn (around 121 MB)
These are 720p 30fps files of low light environments. Shot with auto ISO, but i'm sure they all fall around iso800... HD1000's auto iso tend to go high really easily.

http://mihd.net/9cd5wm (around 194 MB)
These are 1080i files of daylight shooting. These files will bring down even new computers, so don't expect to see smooth motion You'll need codec packages that can render 1080i to play these. Quicktime wont' play it.

http://mihd.net/y0adec (around 112 MB)
These are 1080i files of low light environments.

http://mihd.net/aihbk1 (around 10 MB)
These are 4 megapixel images from the HD1000.

All the daytime shots are from Steveston Village, located in Richmond BC Canada.

I've intentionally took a lot of shots with the sun right in the frame, since it seems like a lot of CG/CA users have concerns about lens flares. The flares in the shots can be easily remedied with shading with your hand or a lens hood.

I also noticed while going through the files that it seems HD1000 doesn't focus open landscapes very well. Shots with objects in macro or closer range seems really good and sharp, but open landscapes like the boats at the harbor and city streets seems not quite as sharp... like it could use a tiny bit more focus. Any other HD1000 users have comments on this?

*note on downloading: I realize many of these files are huge, but its easier for me to upload 6 files than 30 files. If you use Firefox browser (and you should ) you can use extensions like "downloadthemall" which will enable you to resume broken downloads at a later time if you wish.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2007, 3:32 PM   #2

When I click on the links it just goes to this page http://mihd.net/

And nothing downloads....help?

flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 3:43 PM   #3

read the page carefully

the top left has a "request download"... click on that, then the actual download link will appear on the top right.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 4:38 PM   #4

Yea I figured it out a couple minutes after I posted that :?

The only way to view the videos smoothly on my laptop is to use the right-arrow button to scroll through the movie instead of hitting the play button. That gives me a better idea of what to expect from the Sanyo. I'm guessing it looks better on an HDTV. Thanks for the samples
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 4:45 PM   #5

seeing the footage in real time would be important... since frame by frame will show a lot of commpression artifects that wouldn't be an issue at play speed. I'm not sure if I like the 1080i mode, since the increase in detail is often times negated by the interlacing blur. I think that's the kind of mode you would turn on specifically if you know there won't be a lot of movement. I keep the camcorder on 720p 60fps most of the time.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:16 AM   #6

I tried downloading early morning and it came down real quick. Wow, that's a lot of samples, great stuff, it's going to help others for sure (assuming they can play them and have high enough screen resolutions (over 1920x1080): I figure people need at least a mid-to-high-end dual core CPU with CoreAVC to play these back on a PC; but they could use and XBOX 360 or PS3 to get a good idea). The DIS reallyhelps in that boardwalk_zoom scene where you zoom in 10x on the boats (assuming you were hand holding the camera).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 3:14 PM   #7

real men don't use tripods :?

but yes, it was hand held. The day was really bright so stabilization worked well, although i still had to be mindful about keeping still since the stabilization at the 10x range is tough even with EIS on.

I think newer graphic cards these days have built in H.264 acceleration, so that would help... but for computers that isn't from the last year or two, i'm not sure how one would go about playing the 1080i without looking like a slideshow
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:16 PM   #8

Many thanks to you for posting these! I have ordered my Camera and its folks like you who have taken the time and effort to post these examples that helped me make my decision. I hope to return the favor and post some of my own footage.
Kickaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:13 PM   #9

thanks a lot for the clips ray. after seeing the great quality of these clips, it persuaded me to finally jump the gun and buy one off amazon.com. i definitely saw a big difference between the 60fps/30fps clips in 640*480. (especially of the windmill clip (don't know if they were captured at different times, because the 60fps windmill spun really fast) ) Anyways, the low light clips and the shots in the sun with the lens flare were somewhat disappointing considering this thing is $800+. but the pros outweigh the cons soo WHATEVER~.
thanks for taking the time to upload them.
killahb308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:21 PM   #10

your welcome

keep in mind though that many of the issues on the camcorder have easy workarounds. The flare can be stopped with a simple shielding of your hand or a little lens hood, and the low light can be improved by manually controlling the iso settings.

The windmill clips were filmed right after eachother. What happend with the 30fps is the spinning frequency exceeded the 30fps's ability to reslove so it actually looked 'slow'. Not unlike how our eyes preceive a smooth animation with fast moving frames of individual images