Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:07 AM   #1

Hey guys, I just registered for this forum but I have enjoyed reading the conversations for a few weeks now. My wife and I will be expecting our first baby in about 4 weeks, and I have been struggling with all of my camcorder options, most importantly - battery life.

My question is for those with experience using either SD or HD video... How much milage are you getting out of your batteries? How many minutes of run time? Have you noticed reduced capacity after many recharges? If you were to go on vacation how many batteries would you need? Are they easy to change on the fly?

If you could describe the camera(s) you own and write your impressions, I'd certainly appreciate it.
the_wallbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:59 PM   #2

the_wallbanger wrote:
  1. Quote:
    [/*]
    1. How much milage are you getting out of your batteries?[/*]
    2. How many minutes of run time?[/*]
    3. Have you noticed reduced capacity after many recharges?[/*]
    4. If you were to go on vacation how many batteries would you need?[/*]
    5. Are they easy to change on the fly?[/*]
    6. If you could describe the camera(s) you own and write your impressions, I'd certainly appreciate it.
[/*]
1. Depends on the battery, the Sanyo DB-L20 OEM wasjust under1 hour continuous shooting. But of course you generally do not shoot continuously for an hour. You tend to shoot a clip, take some pictures, review, close the lid to put it in standby mode until next time, etc., this can last hours.

2. Oops,guess I misunderstood the first question... :-)

3. Yes. After a couple of years (depending on usage) they lose capacity. Especially the knock-offs (third-party), they started dropping off after less than a year. You will need to buy more down the road.

4. I've been on vacation with 3 batteries and I couldpretty wellcoverfulldays with that (the highlights, not continuous shooting, of course);recharging themin the evening/ at night.And for special events where you want to cover most of it, they're typicallyonly a few hours anyhow, so that works out as well.

5. Yes, quick and easy. Biggest problem is making sure you don't drop those little things somewhere bad.

6.C6, CG65 & new: HD700. Forvacations I've really enjoyed the C6 and then the CG65... with a few 2GB SD cards, a few batteries and a GorillapodI've captured pretty well all the photos and videos I wanted.Bottom line is the photos and videosfully capture the moments and while pros might snub these cameras on principle everyone I know issurprised and often shockedby the quality without evenbeing awarehow small the files are (relatively).Haven'ttaken the HD700 anywhere yet, just got it, but I'm probably going to need a few higher capacity SDHC cards now.... and a bigger hard drive.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 6:20 AM   #3

does anybody have any experience of the HD1000 batteries being sold on ebay? I read somewhere that they only last 30 minutes.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:10 PM   #4

Yes, I have one and yes, they only last about 30 minutes.

I have two original one and only use the e-bay one in a pinch.
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:58 AM   #5

Man, I really wanted an HD700, but the limited battery life scared me off. I would up buying a Panasonic H200. Yeah, it's not HD, nor as portable. But I wasn't even confident my laptop could handle the HD700's large files anyways. Thanks for the insight though!
the_wallbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:28 AM   #6

the_wallbanger wrote:
Quote:
Man, I really wanted an HD700, but the limited battery life scared me off.
In case you misunderstood, my comments were about the smaller DB-L20, used inthe C6 and CG65. The battery life of the HD700 is longer (80-120 minutes),since ituses a larger and higher mAH battery, the DB-L40, and also has a lowpower processor. But of course, you can't expect miracles from tiny batteries, portability has its price. And yes, the H200 is in another class, much larger,almost 3X the weight, not HD and it's not a hybrid either (it only hasa 0.5MP sensor). But you get what works for you.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:27 PM   #7

Also remember the batteries are very small and are inexpensive so you can always buy a spare one and bring it with you.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 5:57 PM   #8

With the stock battery I have recorded3 timesat about 80 and 85 and85 minutes with my Sanyo HD2. That is with the LCD screen, some zooming, and the highest HD resolution. I Hope this helps. God Bless :G
JRDELUNAIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 1:25 PM   #9

I just tested an ebay battery for my HD1000, and I got 65 minutes of continuous recording in 720p30 mode with it.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:54 PM   #10

FYI, the Kodak KLIC-5001 is a direct fit replacement for the DBL-50. I picked up 4 off ebay for $20 shipped. The only difference is the Kodak are 1800mah whereas the Sanyo are 1900mah. Kodak makes a good battery and you should be able to find these way cheaper than the Sanyo.
kneebuster is offline   Reply With Quote