Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1

Hi to everyone, been shopping around for a new camcorder. I ended up here via google.Just wanted to say thanks to everyone ahead oftime. This placehas been ultra helpful.

Anyways, Iam really considering the HD1000 for theportability (95% sure). My only concern is the editing. I read the entire main topic and someone mentioned that Vegas Pro 8 works wonderfully. The only problem I have is that I don't have the money for that $350-400 program.However, there is Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum Edition which is the non-pro consumer version for $100. Can someone confirm that that will be able to edit HD1000 footage with no hitches? If not, are there any other programs besides Vegas that can edit the footage? And what are the specs of the PC you're using to edit?

My last question is kind of a difficult question, but does anyone know how this camcorder compares to the Panasonic HDC-SD1 and HDC-SD5? Both indoor and outdoor. I'll probably still go with the HD1000 simply because of portability, but there's a 5% chance I'll go with the 3CCD Panasonic if quality is good enough.

All help appreciated, thanks...
TheDayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:25 PM   #2

I have tried a few software programs, abode premiere, ulead videostudio and vegas is the only one that worked when using the full HD mode. I have read that you can use mpeg2avi which converts from mpeg4 to avi format whichmight then be used in videostudio etc.

It is very expensive but there are places where it can be downloaded via bittorrent although these are illegal so I dont condone it but you might also be ableto download a demo version from the vegas website?

But in answer to you question, yes vegas works pefrectly.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 1:32 PM   #3

TheDayday wrote:
Quote:
[...]However, there is Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum Edition which is the non-pro consumer version for $100. Can someone confirm that that will be able to edit HD1000 footage with no hitches?[...]
As The Turk writes, download some HD1000 raw footage and try the free trial: Sony Vegas Movie Studio web site. Like that you can seeif/how it works for you. (Although I don't know if the trial supports all file formats?)
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 5:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the response guys. I've downloaded the raw footage that people have posted. My problem is that I'm on a 1GHz Athlon PC that I've had for years as a backupPC from the stone age era. I was previously using a 1.6GHz laptop that recently crapped out.That's why I also asked what everyone's hardwareis forediting because I am also shopping for a new laptop/desktop (that's why I barely have $$$ for an editing program).

I guess I'm probably better off buying the laptop first and testing out the raw footage on the demo. But Caelumthat's a good question, does the demo support all files or is it limited?

TheTurk, Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum Edition is the step down version of Vegas 8 Pro. I know Vegas 8 Proit definitely works. It's Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum Edition that I'm wondering about. Are you confirming that the $100 step down version will edit it also?

And lastly, does anyone have any idea at all how this compares to the 3CCD SD1 and SD5 Panasonic camcorders?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 6:30 PM   #5

TheDayday wrote:
Quote:
[...]I also asked what everyone's hardwareis forediting because I am also shopping for a new laptop/desktop[...]
Video editing is still one of those things where you can never have too much CPU power. I think if editing ona PC is very important to you, you would want a mid-to-high-end dual core CPU based PC with a decent graphics engine, basically: the best you can afford. You can still edit on a not so powerful PC, it will just be more sluggish and will take a long time to render.

You can do basic cut-join editing with the camera itself.It plays out directly to HDTVs and you can use to Xacti Library feature to store and play them back from an external hard drive.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:04 PM   #6

Yeah, I am using vegas pro so I cant be sure but I would bet that the step down just lacks features but would still allow you to use the HD1000 files.

I have a 2ghz duo core, 2gig ram machine and it works well, video plays without any jumping.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 1:52 AM   #7

Today, I just completely remembered I have a PS3, LOL.I transferred all the raw HD-1000 footage I downloaded from ray301's topic into an SD card and into my PS3 (HDMI). WOW... footage looks AMAZING on my Sony 60" XBR2 HDTV. The macro stuff impressed me especially. Iplayed around witha Sony CX7 on a 22" HDTV at Circuit City and from what I can remember, it's on par with it (although I think the CX7 had superior colors). The indoor stuff looked really soft IMHO, but still very good. Pretty much confirmed what everyone here has said about it.

The only weird thing I noticed is that the video and audio would momentarily stop and hitch every 6 or so seconds. At first I thought it was because I was playing it off the SD card. So I copied all thefiles directly on the PS3, but no luck, it still stutters.Has anyone else here who has a PS3 and played back their HD1000 files on itnoticed this? Because I'm sure it's probably just the PS3 and not the camcorderbecause no one has complained or mentioned anything of the sortat all. Hopefully this doesn't happen on edited and rendered filespost-Vegas. That would severely suck if it did. My other concern is the focus. It seemed like the focus was off most of the time on the samples. So yeah, hopefully I won't have to shell out more $$$ to edit the vids with Vegas8 Pro.If any helpful sould out there can download the demo of Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum Edition and test to see if they can edit the video, that would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that though, 99% convinced I'm getting the camcorder. Calling B&H Photo tomorrow to see if it's available. Probably going to makethe trip to the storeon Friday if it is (20 minute train ride from where I am on the A train, wooohoo!). So ifno one else can answer the few of my remaining quesitons, thanks again to everyone for the help!

Old Nov 1, 2007, 2:18 AM   #8

I'm sure the audio hiccup can be or will be corrected with future firmware updates on the PS3... it plays fine from the xacti dock.

now my question to you is, watching the footage back on your sony LCD tv... do you see any difference with the 1080i and 720p clips from your couch? I'm still undecided on what format i want to use most of the time

also keep in mind the indoor stuff were left auto everything, but if you cap the ISO at 400 it will be much better.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:55 AM   #9

I played around with the different resolutions and while you can see the difference between the 1080 and 720 modes close up, it is harder to tell when viewing from the couch except when you do some macro stuff, the image is slightly crisper but its down to personal taste I suppose. I record at the full HD just coz I can I suppose. I am still blown away by the quality of outdoor shots, the picture and motion is so damn good!

One thing I would love to see implemented in firmware is a crossfade or similar transition when joining clips using the edit feature. It would be great.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:17 AM   #10

TheTurk wrote:
Quote:
[...]I record at the full HD just coz I can I suppose.[...]
I probably would as well despite not needing it. I also tried 720p vs. 1080i on a 52" HDTV and I experienced the same thing as you. Close up, 1080i is better, but froma typical 10' distance then it's not as obviousbut 1080i does look a little crisper. But on my PCs (my main platform) 1080i isn't so practical due to the resolution exceding my typical screen resolutions, it being so demandingand interlace not being PCoriented. I'm very satisfied with 720p, and the TV owner's comment was: "Wow! it's really HD!".