Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:47 PM   #1

Apologies if this has been discussed before but after searching the forum I could not find reference to it. I own a C6 and havebeen agonising for months over whether to replace it with the Canon TX1. However the HD700 obviously provides another tasty option.

So, I am asking whether anyone has had the opportunity to compare the image quality of the TX1 with the HD700. I'm willing to pay the difference if the HD700 quality is noticablybetter than the TX1 even although I would have to give up the 10X stabilised lens (and gain a muchmore efficientcodec of course).
budgie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2

Don't bother with the TX1. It uses M-JPEG as a codec:

"And now, the bad news. Since Canon uses an inefficient video codec, you can only record 14 minutes of continuous 720p video -- as that's when you hit the 4GB file size limit. Free space on your memory card disappears at a whopping 4.4 MB/sec in 720p mode, which means not only means do you need a huge memory card for recording video, but also that you'll need to downsize and recompress the videos for sharing with others. There are other resolutions available, including a "long play" 720p mode, which will allow for longer movies."

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ot_tx1-review/

Harder to edit as well, I think......
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:37 PM   #3

It's not clear cut, theTX1's individual frames might be better (it does consume 4Xthe bit-rate of the HD700),but for mean issue I have with the TX1 is how it handles motion, it's not smooth or fluid to my eyes, like a series of stills, stop motion like;and there are strange ghosting issues for moving objects (not motion blur).Ioncesawthe argument: "if you don't shoot movement it's ok"... if you are not capturing movement, why take a movie? Just take a picture :-).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:35 AM   #4

dcpmark wrote:
Quote:
Don't bother with the TX1. It uses M-JPEG as a codec:
I'm not too concerned about the MJPEG codec. Although it takes more effort I don't plan on shooting long videos and don't mind converting the AVI's to H.264's with my software encoder which is much more configurable than the fixed H.264 from the HD700. However why I'm asking about the picture quality is that I've seen a few comments on this forum concerning a reduced DR on the Sanyo. I tested my C6 against the 640x480 30fps video outpur from my Canon A620. I attached the cameras to each other and upon comparing the result found that the Canon video appeared to have more DR. Certainly there was more shadow detail with the A620 and the C6 output appeared to be more contrasty. However, when faced with the choice of which camera to take as I'm running out the door I usually choose the Sanyo unless I'm sure I won't be doing video.

I guess due to the price diff I'm leaning to the TX1 at the moment but if anyone here has test results showing the HD700 kicks it's butt then I'm all ears.

Or maybe I'll just wait until next year and get the HD1000 :G
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:09 AM   #5

I used the Sanyo HD1 for about a year, and then got the Canon TX1. Then I tried the Sanyo HD1000 and the HD700. I've kept only the TX1.

The fatal flaw in the Sanyos has been the poor image stabilization. It doesn't do its job, it degrades the image and reduces the maximum angle of view. Small, lightweight camcorders really require effective stabilization. I also hate lens caps.

The Sanyos have much to recommend them, but the TX1 seems to produce sharper images and is a truly elegant piece of machinery. If you can live with the tiny (but very bright) LCD, I would go with the Canon. I have rarely filled a 4GB card, and 8GB cards are available.
psphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:53 PM   #6

psphoto wrote:
Quote:
I have rarely filled a 4GB card, and 8GB cards are available.
Per that review, you only get 14 minutes at the highest quality setting with a 4gb card, and the TX1 has a 4gb card limit, unless that has been overcome with a firmware upgrade. I definitely need more than 14 minutes of shooting time, although I suppose you can have multiple memory cards since they are cheap enough.

Edit: I misread the review: the file size is limited to 4gb, not necessarily the card size. I'm not sure what happens when you hit the 4gb file limit....does it continue shooting in a new file?
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:31 PM   #7

It depends on a person's use.I imaginepsphoto does not use the TX1 for shooting videoof events, he must mostly take photos and very short video clips here and there.Normally when youshoot an event you take hours of raw footageto turn around less than one in editing. Youcan't cover an event, or even capture the best moments for that matter (you're bound to miss them), by shooting short clips here and there. And sure, SD/SDHC cards are getting bigger and cheaper, but 3 minutes per GB and the 13-14 minute per shot (4GB) limit of the TX1 is still inconvenient if video is your primary intention. Like I wrote above, the video motion issues with the TX1remains thebiggest one for me.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:37 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I love reading this forum it's the only one I've found so far where there are people knowledgeable about the Sanyo cameras! I have a mini DV for events and use my C6 for short clips of the kids so in that respect the TX1's file limitations aren't a problem. I only use the mini-DV camera when i really have to as transferring the files drives me nuts! I agree with pcphoto about the stabilisation and keep mine turned off with my C6.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:12 AM   #9

After reading the lackluster reviews about the hd700, think I will hold out in case Canon maxes an updated TX camera in 08. I like its style.
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote