Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:55 AM   #1

I purchased a C6 last year and I have been very pleased with the camera. I want upgade to either the CG65 or the HD700. I have read the reviews of both cameras in this forum and I would like to know if the HD700 video quality is significantly better to warrant paying the extra dollars for HD700. Thank you.
westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:33 AM   #2

I think the questionprimarily rests onhowimportant HD is to you. For standard definition video the HD700 does not do a better job than the CG65 and with the CG65 being smaller and less expensive, itmight be the better a choice... of course the CG65does not recordHD video.

Other differences: the CG65 has built in USB port (can also be used for power) and TV-out port (composite). The HD700 needs it's docking station for the USB and TV-Out (supports HDMI, component, S-video and composite) and also supports Xacti Library. The HD700 alsocomes witha remote, the CG65 does not.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:49 PM   #3

Hi Westy2,

I have both the CG65 and HD700 as said caelum it depends on you, I like the extra quality of the HD700 on my 32" screen. The size, is not as small as the CG65 and the price is also bigger. Both don't do a very good job indoors.

Have fun

mike
fastmike524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:26 PM   #4

And one more thing - correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the CG65 can still record with the LCD screen closed and turned inward. The HD 700 cannot. So, dependsing on what you plan to use the camera for, that could be a big difference right there.
IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 9:45 AM   #5

Hi folks,

As Caelum said price of all electronics is going down very fast.
This is why I'm going to replace my C6 which worked very well for me for almost 2 years with CG65.
It seems to me it doesn't make any sense to buy HD camery if I don't have HD DVD recorder nad player (and no one of my movie "watchers" too!).
In 2 years when HD700 (or a newer Sanyo HD camera) is going cost less $400, HD DVD players you can buy for $$50-70 and HD DVD disks you'll buy for less than $1 may be... but not now.

FZKAP
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:16 AM   #6

But then when the HD players are that cheap you will have all your HD video ready to burn and play.... I had the CG65 and loved it and upgraded to the HD1000 and the difference is mind blowing. When I look back at my CG65 footage it is scary how inferior in quality it is. I have a new baby on the way and look forward to capturing some HiDef video and when HD players are cheap and cheerful I will have all those memories captured for future viewing. I would recommend getting the HD model, you wont regret it. Also the HD models have some great features that the CG65 model does not have.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:18 AM   #7

TheTurk,

It's funny, but friend of mine told me the same: buy HD, keep HD clip files somewhere and when time come burn it on HD.
And I agree with him and you when it's about such "events" like a new baby (by the way - congratulation!), wedding, etc. But when it's about "regular" events like trip to another country, visit relatives and so on - I can live with 640x480. Plus the most of my viewers have access to my clips through the services like my iGoogle and YouTube.
I'm not expexting such BIG events during the next 2 years this is why I'm much close to CG65 then HD700 so far.

But decision isn't made yet!

FZKAP

FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:06 PM   #8

Thank you Caelum and the others who replied to my question. These forums are really very helpful and provide different points of view. I have decided to go with the HD700 and cut back on the beer for a year.
westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote