Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:12 AM   #1

Hi, trying to decide between HD1000 and HD700. I've read lots of the comments regarding the low light problems but to put things into perspective for someone like me who doesn't own high end camcorders ...

I have a Canon Powershot SD800IS and a Panasonic PV-GS500 DV camcorder.

Anyone else also have something similar and can relate how the low light/autofocus is handled by the Sanyo in comparison.

Thanks in advance.
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:54 PM   #2
FLG

Forget low light.Xacti HD700 is just $399, no sales tax, free shipping Amazon.com.So jump in if you don't liked no hassle returns.
Happy Thanksgiving day!
FLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 1:49 PM   #3

Hi all , new to this forum but have been watching for some time and have decided to give some input hopfully maybe helpfull to someone. I have owned many camcorders from canon tx1, aiptek go-hd, aiptek a-hd, and very recently two sanyo hd700 camcorders. I ordered one from amazon acouple of weeks ago and loved the size and feel but the love ended there. The first one had problems with focus as it did not want to focus well past 20 feet even when done manual. Also the if you tried to take video or pics indoors forget it they both are a joke. The pics are very very grainy. My aiptek a-hd runs circles around this camera in every way but the zoom on the aiptek is very limited and looses detail when zoomed. Well I retured the first sanyo hd700 then ordered another one from amazon. I hoped it would be ok but no it was not. This one had same problems with indoor use, and yes the room was lite with 7, 60watt bulbs. Should have been plenty of light but no. Also noticed very bad barrel distortion, the worst I have every seen on any camera. I did compare with my aiptek, sony dcr dvd403, and fuji digital camera and none of them have any off the above issues as the sanyo hd700 does. So amazon got both of them back.

In short don't waste your money on the sanyo hd700 even at 399.00 as the aiptek a-hd performs very well in low light with pics and video! You will be disapointed with your 400.00 spent on it. Even my old sony tvr somthing 8mm was 100 times better indoors than the sanyo hd700.

There is light at the tunnel though and it is a sanyo yet. I upped the money and bought a sanyo hd1000! Wow this camera does it and does it very well indoors even at low light or outdoors. No manual setting need to be played with to get very good results out of this one. Yes it is a little bit bigger but still very portable. I am waiting for the holster to be available from sanyo on amazon.

The sanyo hd1000 is very impressive video and pics. The only camera I have ever owened that came close to performing as well and it still is no comparion is the aiptek a-hd.I am very satisfied with both the aiptek a-hd and my new addition the sanyo hd10000 and will be keeping both. I knowthe sanyo hd1000 ismore money than the sanyo hd700 but there is no comparison at all for everyday use and performance. Please keep in that these are only my views and someone else may see things differently but thats ok!
MikeCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 2:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the informative post. Everyone seems to be impressed by the price but it looks like the HD1000 is about as good as it gets for size/performance.
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:40 AM   #5

MikeCountry -- I'm about where you were when you sent your second hd700 back. For my use, which is mostly indoors, it really is just not up to it. I got mine at 299, but it's probably going to have to go back. I really believe that you have to have a camcorder that you'll carry with you, or you'll stop taking clips as soon as the "new toy" novelty wears off. Thus, I'm dedicated to the idea of a relatively pocketable cam.

I was wondering if your opinion on the low light performance of the hd1000 is still good, and if you have any more thoughts? There's surprisingly little direct comparison between the two in terms of low light, and not much out there just on hd1000's low light performance.
DC Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:48 AM   #6

MikeCountry wrote:
Quote:
The only camera I have ever owened that came close to performing as well and it still is no comparion is the aiptek a-hd.I am very satisfied with both the aiptek a-hd and my new addition the sanyo hd10000 and will be keeping both.
Why would you keep the hd1000 at all if the aiptek is better?
sonicwind is offline   Reply With Quote