Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 22, 2007, 1:26 PM   #1

Hi and Happy Thanksgiving to all! I think the majority opinion from all is now that the HD1000 is the way to go based on the bigger lens providing an overall better picture quality. And I was all set to go that direction....

That is until Amazon pulled a Black Friday special and offered up the HD700 for $399!!! I think this an unbelievable price and pulled the trigger with a wait and see approach. The difference IMHO is no longer minor as we are talking a gap of $399 vs. about $710 @ Amazon ($699 at JR).

I know there had been some discussion as to value when balanced with portability and the "Sanyo quality" (sorry to open up that again! ). Many reviewers have said the HD1000 is worth the extra money when the difference was only $150, but would you make the same choice now or is the quality gap so severe that the HD700 is still a bad buy unless it was in Aiptek range ($150)?

My questions are:
- With the price drop, is the HD1000 still the best HD camera value **from Sanyo** right now? (We're talking price/performance ratio i.e. is the Hd1000 somewhat overpriced now in comparison?)
- For those who were on the fence, does this push you over the edge toward the HD700?
- For those who had both models and chose the HD1000, does it change your mind at that price?

Thanks!
bobbyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:07 PM   #2

As someone who has both, the HD1000 consistently produces way better video from a quality standpoint, especially in low light. There's basically no comparison, the HD1000 wins hands down. That said, it's way bulkier and looks like a gun, which kind of freaks me out the more I use it, I'm actually concious of that fact, and more so depending on the environment. If image quality is your main concern, buy an HV20, if image quality and portability is, then go with the HD1000, and if pocketability with decent quality is, then go HD700.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:03 AM   #3
FLG

Jump for HD700.Where the heck you can find a HD camcorder for that price?
In the end is the memories you want not the best camcorder.I like HD 700 not for the price not for the quality of videos but for the portability.I learn during the years is important if you have the thing in your pocket you will have a dvd to watch 15 years from now.I did have expensive camcorders wich have been somewhere in a drawer full of dust because beeing too bulky I did not carry with me.
FLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 4:38 PM   #4

I think the major reason i went with the HD1000 is the 60fps from what i have read the hd700 doesnt offer the 60fps. For filming sports more frames the better. My will be recording my son playing golf constantly.
rpawly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:30 PM   #5

FLG wrote:
Quote:
Jump for HD700.Where the heck you can find a HD camcorder for that price?
In the end is the memories you want not the best camcorder.I like HD 700 not for the price not for the quality of videos but for the portability.I learn during the years is important if you have the thing in your pocket you will have a dvd to watch 15 years from now.I did have expensive camcorders wich have been somewhere in a drawer full of dust because beeing too bulky I did not carry with me.
You know I couldn't agree more. Once my JVC SVHS-C camera died on me, I tried out an Aiptek memory card device intially, but even though the video was nowhere near as good, the convenience of the format just kept me in the memory card format camcorder arena. I could've bought a real fancy camcorder many times but I wanted something I can carry with me anywhere and not just get out for special occasions.

My 2 year old is part of the reason I got into these type of camcorders in the first place. I find myself viewing the videos I took of him when we go to a park etc. far more than the ones of his birthday etc. One birthday to me, is pretty much the same as another whereas video of general events in life are far more interesting especially when it includes footage of places that have sinced changed.

I look at my HD700 order more as an upgrade for my Sanyo C40. I wanted something with more detail that could be played on the average display size and PC. The 720p format is a reasonable compromise for me in this respect. I can send the 720p files to my friends and relatives knowing that as long as they have a fairly recent PC they can play them, but with Full HD they wouldn't. Sure I could down convert the files to 720p but then it begins to lose it's convenience. I can play the 9Mbps Sanyo HD1/2 hidef files on my lowly 3 year old Pentium M 1.4 Laptop fine whereas the HD1000 won't play at all. Of course the HD700 uses the more CPU intensive h264 codec like the HD1000, but I can still play the files with the right media player.

Also, I tend to find the more I spend on a device, the more I am likely to 'baby it' rather than use it which is why I probably get some very interesting video with my cheap Aiptek MPVR since I can take it with me to Mexico or fishing for instance and not worry if I lose it. The only problem with my MPVR is that it is useless in low light whereas my Sanyo C40 is better in that respect.

They say the content is more valuable than the device, but if the device is $2000 then it gets very difficult to separate the two unless you have recorded a once in a lifetime event...

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:25 PM   #6

Ok, for those that just have to get the sanyo hd700 it is on sale at amazon.com today 12/4/07 for 299.00 but having owned 2 and sent back 2 because of the poor video and pics when taken indoors I still think my Aiptek A-HD is way better for both video and pics with same lighting. The Aiptek video is not at all grainy nor are the pics!! I also have the Sanyo HD1000 and wow it is even better that the Aiptek A-HD. Sorry but the sanyo hd700 is in the bottom below the Aiptek GO-HD which I also have owned but did not like the zoom motor noise so it went back. Please keep in mind these are based on my personal use only. Thanks
MikeCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:30 PM   #7

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention that the fact that the price of the Sanyo hd700 is now at 50% of its original cost of 599.00when first put on sale is US about amonth ago says volumes about its problems with quality!!! I have never seen a camera sold for 50% of its original price in 1 month or year of debut for that matter not even an Aiptek!! Not trying to bash Sanyo because I love my Sanyo hd1000 but trying to help others before they make same mistake I did. I still would not have kept the hd700 for 299.00
MikeCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:02 AM   #8

Just as a counter viewpoint -- again only my personal opinion -- the HD700 blows away anything else in it's pocketability class. And at 299, even more so. Aiptek, puh-lease...
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:58 AM   #9

Yeah, like I said before, a still frame or a still video from an Aiptek A-HD may look ok, but when in motion, I have no idea how you put up with the swimming / wavering and overall lack of motion fluidity; and I find it strange that you find the Aitpek's zoom and focusand complete lack of manual control acceptable.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:57 AM   #10

Hi folks,

Thank you for the advice - I also got ~$100 back for my new HD700!

So far the first tests with it are good but I have the only problem: both my PCs do not have enough power to make the editing process simple. One of my PC is Intel PIV Duo (2 CPU, 3.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Vista) and even in it the preview mode in any of editing tools looks fragmented. I've tried Adobe Premier III SE, Sony Vegas 8.0C and my favorite Ulead VideoStudio 11.5 Plus – result is the same. Of course after rendering the movie looks OK, but editing is not so easy like it was with my old C6.
Do you have any positive ideas on this case?

Thank you again,
Fzkap

Sorry, I've put it here by mistake!
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote