Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:56 PM   #1

Hi there! A lot of good HD1000 info here, thanks for sharing.

I'm looking for a HD camera that I can mount on the side of my helmet for BASE jumping and skydiving, and the HD1000 seems like a good candidate. But, I can't have the display sticking out to the side while jumping...

Does anyone know if it's possible to record with the display closed? E.g. by starting the recording with the display open and then closing it.

Read from the manual that closing the display puts the cam into stand-by, but I'm hoping this is only valid if not recording...

Hope some of you HD1000 owners can test this and post here.

Thanks.
ultrakermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:10 PM   #2

ultrakermit wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to record with the display closed? E.g. by starting the recording with the display open and then closing it.
Yes, it is possible. You turn the camera on, start recording and then fold the screen facing out instead of in or closed. The screen will be down...but...exposed. This allows the camera to remain on and recording. You do run risk of having the exposed screen, so I would recommend some sort of tuff clear material that might provide some level of protection at the speed you will be going.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 1:05 AM   #3

Yeah it SUCKS that they did that. The CG65 would keep recording if you closed it face in and only go into standby if it wasn't recording. The HD700/1000 both won't do it unless the screen is facing out, which is LAME. For sports enthusiasts it sucks, but also it sucks when you want to be discrete. For what it's worth, I made a "sleeve" out of gaffers tape that works to cover the screen when closed, but it doesn't offer the same protection nor does it conserve the battery, so it's a rather half-arsed solution. Sanyo, are you listening?
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 2:32 PM   #4

Hi,

I'm in the process of putting my HD2 on my helmet. Not familiar with the HD1000 but might be similiar.

I can put a business card between the screen and the camera in the closed position and the camera will work.

I also can use the remote to start and stop with this setup. My plan is to bolt the camera inside a secured padded box.

racerzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 1:48 PM   #5

Hi,

I'm using my HD2 in Skydiving, it's approximately the same. Because it's not possible to capture the movie when the display is closed, i'm just turning it so that the display is oriented towards the exterior, and i put the display to the body-cam.

It's closed but the display is exposed, that's why i'm using a neoprene cover, especially made for cameras to prevent any damage on the screen, but i know it's not the best solution.

But for the base of skydive, it's a perfect cam, with an incredible quality, no problem with shocks and speed.
Erwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:41 PM   #6

Erwan a écrit:

Quote:
But for the base of skydive, it's a perfect cam, with an incredible quality, no problem with shocks and speed.
You can have problemes with shocks on the camera, I've already had it with my CG65 during a few skydives, when it gets a too bigga shock, it just stops recording: this maybe caused by a lost of contact with the SD card...

So don't hit it too hard ;-)

I've just tried my wide angle (0.3x) on my HD700 and it fits, but it will take a little bit of work to make it hold well.

Mike
fastmike524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:33 PM   #7

Hi guys,

have u ever tryied to slow motion your videos?

How thy come out ?

Blurry ?

thank u
marcolisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 1:40 PM   #8

Thanks everybody for the info! Atleast it's possible to record with the display close to the cam body.

Regarding the recording stopping due to shocks
, anyone seen this also on the HD1000? If so what kind of shocks are we talking about, e.g. during a skydive or base jump is a hard opening enough shock to stop the recording?

Regarding the extra battery conservation
if the display could be closed facing inwards during recording, I don't think the impact on recording time would be very big actually. The display probably consumes something like 100'ish mA. According to the spec, the average current consumption is 950mA (!) (120 minutes with 1900mAh battery (not specified for what bitrates though)). So switching off the display during recording would then, assuming 100mA is in the right ball park, save slightly more than 10% of the current consumption, which in minutes would mean about 14 minutes more recording time, so not that much...
Maybe someone from Sanyo can comment on this?
ultrakermit is offline   Reply With Quote