Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:09 AM   #1

Hi guys,

i've spent a couple of weeks reading the informations about camcorders and i think i've learn alot compared to the suggestions and tips that i got from people that works in Best Buy and other electronic shops. (i've been going around shops to get their recommendations regarding camcorders)

After reading the posts here, i've decided to go with cg65. Since they have a better still pictures and the new feature which allows file compression but in higher quality.

My question is for the people who bought their camera from eBay, i've found one seller that sells this camera for only $100 (excluding shipping costs) and he's a soldier located in Afghanistan. Did anyone here know the background of this seller or do you guys have a recommendation on which user that i could trust regarding the purchase of this product? and also, those non OEM batteries that they sold, is it safe for the camcorder?

One more question, besides eBay, is there any other place that i could buy from since the prices on Amazon and other websites is considerably high compared to the prices that most people paid in this forum.

Thank you so much,

Win
-tokz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:04 PM   #2

I think you'll be happy with the CG65. But when it comes to eBay and knock-offs (batteries), you can't generalize. One person's experience will in no way reflect on an other's. You could have a great experience, or you could have a horrible one, this is the risk you are taking. You must be willing to accept risk if you go that route. Cleary that CG65 you found for $100 on eBay is a used one, so it will not be in pristine condition, and as with any eBay purchase,caveat emptor. I don't livein the USand can't buy stuff from them (so don't deal with them), but it seems to me that Amazon.com has competitive pricing for the Xactis and accessoriesin the US. If you pay significantly less than Amazon, there will generally be a reason for this (offshore, grey market, etc.). But there are certainly reliable competitive dealers in the US, for example, B&H Photo, which has a very good reputation and abrick and mortarstore in NY , and offersthe CG65 for a less. Perhaps try using the Where to buy option on Sanyo's US site.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:09 PM   #3

thanks Caelum!

from all the posts, seems that you're the most active members and the one with all the in depth knowledge about this product.

I checked at wherehouse123 regarding cg65 and i've read that they have that 1 - year warranty too and their price is lower than BH. if this product was a grey market product, what kind of warranty that they offer? i checked on BH and they offered the same thing too.

Do you have any idea about this matter?

thanks.
-tokz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:42 PM   #4

Be really careful about buying from eBay or a lot of other online retailers - remember that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I bought a new CG65 from eBay and it had a dead pixel on the CCD which caused an annoying white spot to show up on all of the videos. I tried to send it in to Sanyo for warranty service and they refused to work on it because I didn't buy from an "authorized retailer".

For what it's worth, I tried both the CG65 and the CG6 and couldn't tell a difference between the two in image quality. In fact, the file sizes were about the same on the highest quality setting and I found out that the H.264 compression on the CG65 really only makes the video smaller on the HQ setting rather than the SuperHQ setting.

So, if it were me, I'd save some money and get the CG6. They're identical other than the price and compression scheme and the video looks the same on both.

Another part to my story: I owned the CG65 (eBay), and two CG6's (Wal-Mart) and returned them all because they ALL had bad pixels on the CCD that showed that annoying problem I talked about earlier. It seems to be a somewhat common problem, so I would highly recommend buying the camera from a reputable store that you can return it to if you need to.

I was so disgusted by the CG series that I bought an HD700 instead (and never looked back). Good luck!
Turd_Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:16 PM   #5

If you buy from Warehouse123 (Hong Kong = grey market in US)you will not be covered bythe manufacturer's (Sanyo) warranty, if you buy from B&H Photo (NY, US) Sanyo will honor the manufacturer's warranty. It's up to you if you want to go grey market or not, just be aware that you will be dealing with an offshore storethat is not coveredby consumer laws in your country.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote