Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:54 AM   #11

Ok now you see it also. I downloaded all samples i could get from the HD1000 now, and this "pumping" is really in every single sample. Only it is not that obvoius in every sample than the sample with the train. I have a very good LCD display on my computer at home, so this might be the reason that I notice these things very easily.

Now that I have noticed this pumping I will always see it in any video from the HD1000. So I don't think I could be ever satisfied with it. Maybe good HD Quality and good portability is not yet possible in the year 2007, and I just have to wait a little more. I dindn't find that many samples for the SD7, but I see no pumping in the ones I got. But I don't want to go for the SD7 because I would have to import it, and guarantee would be a problem. Also I am not quite sure what disadvantages I get with a NTSC device in a PAL region.

Anyway thank you all for helping me
noby_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:16 PM   #12

Perhaps the firmware update fixed the "pumping" you see. From the release notes:
" Improve quality of image processing during shooting and playback of movies"

Bob C
bobbyc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 4:33 PM   #13

I'll bet 99% it's your PC despite the fact you think not...

I've been telling people this for a while now, if you really want to prove whether it's the footage or your PC, there's an easy way to do it. Transcode the footage to a much lower bit rate, at half the resolution, and into an intraframe compressed codec. So, drop the clip into Vegas, transcode to WMV at 512kbps at 640x360, then play the WMV file. I'll bet the WMV plays perfectly smooth (albeit at a lower res and with more compression artifacts). I've had many situations where I felt my HD1000 footage looked jumpy/stuttery, even times when I felt like it wasn't dropping frames in my player. But then after checking frame by frame in Vegas it looked OK, so then I'd render it out to low res high compression, and sure enough it played no problem.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:40 PM   #14

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
I'll bet 99% it's your PC despite the fact you think not...

I've been telling people this for a while now, if you really want to prove whether it's the footage or your PC, there's an easy way to do it. Transcode the footage to a much lower bit rate, at half the resolution, and into an intraframe compressed codec. So, drop the clip into Vegas, transcode to WMV at 512kbps at 640x360, then play the WMV file. I'll bet the WMV plays perfectly smooth (albeit at a lower res and with more compression artifacts). I've had many situations where I felt my HD1000 footage looked jumpy/stuttery, even times when I felt like it wasn't dropping frames in my player. But then after checking frame by frame in Vegas it looked OK, so then I'd render it out to low res high compression, and sure enough it played no problem.
actually in this case its really the footage... if you go to the sanyo japan site and download that train clip in question, you will see what he's talking about.

there is a weird pulsing shift of 1 pixel that is visible on the trees... i haven't seen it on my own footage so its possible it could be just that specific device -- unless someone else here says otherwise.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:23 AM   #15

Folks,

Let me get this right! When I film the samescene, I do see pumping usingeither 1980x1080 or 1280 x720 resolution. However, it is O.K. if I lower the resolution to 640x480. So, is it fundamentally the camera issue orPCincompatible ? If it is PC incompatibility,then what exactlytheissue is or say solution would be?Video card??
Hank_65 is offline   Reply With Quote