Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:52 AM   #1

Hi there,

I am looking for a camcorder which is pocketable and gives me a good HD Video. Also it should be easy to archive the HD files. I want to be able to connect a external USB harddisk to the camera and copy the files from the SD card ro the harddisk (without a PC), and want to be able to view them later by connecting the harddisk to the player.

I know:

Picture Quality is HD700 < HD1000 < SD5/SD7
Size is HD700 < HD1000 < SD5/SD7

I know that I can connect a harddisk easliy to the HD700 and the HD1000. But what about the panasonic SD5/SD7. It says that it has a usb host function, but can I just connect a harddisk like to the sanyos? If that is possible I would go for the Panasonic. If not I would go for the HD1000.
noby_95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:10 PM   #2

My understanding of the Panasonic USB host function is that it will allow you tocopy your videostothe optional Panasonic DVD burner attachment (VW-BN1). I don't think, or at least I haven't read anywhere, thatit will work withother devices or USB hard drives ascan the Sanyos with the Xacti Library. But perhaps you should find a more Panasonic specific forum / support site to confirm this (or just download the manual).

Edit: Ok, I was curious so I downloaded the SD5 manual... I can confirm what I wrote above, the manual says it will only work with their (Panasonic) DVD burner. Although the USBportalso supports direct printer connection (PictBridge), like the Sanyos to print stills.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:28 PM   #3

Thank you Caelum,

I was nearly short before buying the HD1000 now, but now I watched some video samples. In nearly every sample (they seem to be the original files, not further compresses anymore, even from the offical site http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/products/li.../02/index.html), I get pumping when I watch the video. For example the video with the train the grass "pumps" every second, changing color slightly. I watch it with Power DVD 7 with Geforce 7950 hardware encoding. Do I have a problem with the video decoder, or are the videos really that bad?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:58 PM   #4

Most likely a problem with yourplayback software. But CPU power could still be a factor. Many people cannot play HD1000 video files properlyusing their PC (or Panasonic / Sony AVCHD camera files for that matter), playback using the HD1000 itself should provide the best results.

Myself I get good playback results on my PCs using the CoreAVC codec and do not see any defects or "pumping" in those videos.

If youlook at the previews on that sitedo you still seethis "pumping"? If not, thenit might reaffirm a playback issue on your PC for the original files.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:34 AM   #5

I tried the videos on my computer at work, with apple quicktime and saw the same things. After comparing the samples I am getting the impression that the panasonic SD5/7 is not just a little bit better in picture quality, but a world away from the Sanyo HD1000. Interesting would be on opinion from someone who owns both / has directly compared both. Maybe there is a review somwhere that compares both?

Problem is I really want a small pocketable device, and the SD5 is not pocketable. So I would have to import the SD7 from Japan and live with NTSC (I live in Pal Region).

I need the device for my holiday in Thailand starting in February 08. Maybe I should just wait a little mor until some more reviews ar popping up...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:25 PM   #6

noby_95 wrote:
Quote:
I tried the videos on my computer at work, with apple quicktime and saw the same things.[...]
I haven't heard of a single personwho has successfully viewed HD1000 1080i videos using Quicktime for Windows in full motion without hickups; what you saw is not at all representative.I wouldn'tjudgea camera based onmy PC'sorsoftware's inability to display the video properly. Seriously, if you are not seeing smooth playback of the 1080i HD1000 sample videos,the software you are using, or your PC is notcapableof handling thejob. If you have a decent dual core CPU PC,at leasttry the CoreAVC codec for playback (included with a number of codec packs and "Quicktime Alternative").
Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:47 PM   #7

I also got the pumping, even on a 2.4 dual core using Quicktime Alternative, but I found the cure, Nero 8 (trial download), plays all the samples perfectly.
Burlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 5:48 PM   #8

Caelum, thanks for your help.

The problem is not that my PC is too weak, the video plays super smooth. I have a Dual Core Athlon 64 @ 3,2 GHZ.

Ok I tried all kind of codecs now, everything the same. I am talking about the video with the train (xa1000_sp02_03.zip) from the sanyo site. Play the video and look into 00:17 until the end (See the attatchment). Look at the trees behind the train, they are "pumping". I think this has nothing to do with my pc, it is in the video.
Attached Images

Old Dec 6, 2007, 7:41 PM   #9

I see what you mean... although i have never seen the same thing from my own footage.

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with certain auto settings like stabilization or focus...

I know on some stabilized lenses, they have tripod modes or actually advise you to turn off the IS because of similar issues.

There was no info on what settings were on or off with their sample footage so its a bit hard to tell.
ray301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:46 PM   #10

noby_95 wrote:
Quote:
[...]I am talking about the video with the train (xa1000_sp02_03.zip) from the sanyo site. Play the video and look into 00:17 until the end (See the attatchment). Look at the trees behind the train, they are "pumping". I think this has nothing to do with my pc, it is in the video.
Thanks for explaining it, I looked closer at that video and see what you mean now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.