Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:00 PM   #1

Hi- I'm at the cross roads. I'm in the process of selling my C40 and have a CG6 at the moment (which I can still return). I like the CG6 as it does much better in low light than the C40 but I've been seeing price drops on the HD700. If I return the CG 6 I can pay $25 more and get the HD700. Is it worth it? I've reviewed videos and they look good. The Amazon ratings for the HD700 is all over the place. Most of the folks I can tell are novice with these cameras.

What would you do?

Brian

blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2007, 4:20 PM   #2

I have the CG6 and recently tried the HD700. I returned it since it was clearly not worth the $500+ I paid for it, although I am now thinking of trying it again at the $300 price. I still am not sure however if I would prefer it to the CG6. The pro for the HD700 is, obviously, the HD video and, in good light at least, this is fairly significant. However, that and the monitorare about it for things I prefer about the HD700 over the CG6.

Pros for the CG6 over the HD700:

1) Significantly smaller, but (for my hand at least) just as good ergonomically.

2) Seemingly better build quality. HD700 felt cheap too me - terribly flimsy doors for battery and SD card andless solidfeeling buttons/sliders.

3) Prefer rocker zoom to sliding zoom and prefer toggle button for rec/play to sliding switch. Also prefer location of menu button. Obviously, these judgements are very subjective.

4) HD700 zoom too noisy. From listening to HD700 samples of others, it is clear some have better luck with this than others, but the first one I got was terrible.

5) Prefer simple USB connection to need for docking station.

6) Better results in stills. This may be because I was more used to the CG6, but I get a higher percentage of goodshots with it.

7) Less focus hunting in video compared to HD700, especially inside.

I was so disappointed with the HD700 that I sent it back quickly. I now think, it might be worth giving it a longer trial. However, unless I get a better example than the first one, especialy as regards the noisy zoom, I think I will still prefer the CG6.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:31 PM   #3

Okay I think I'm sticking with CG6. I like the quality and it is an upgrade from the c40. I too was caught up in the $299 price of the HD700.

brian
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote