Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:47 AM   #21

mumdb1 wrote:
Quote:
Is there a way to attach Nikon SLR lenses to the camera? It seems someone did this on the DVinfo forums, but I can't get a clear answer on how. She stated that she used a M2 redrock adapter on the camera, which I searched for but I can't figure out what parts are needed etc.

Yes there is, but you need to use a "35mm DOF adapter" (which is what the M2 is btw). A 35mm adapter is essentially a tube or casewith a lens mount on one end (i.e. Nikon "F" mount or Canon "EOF" mount) so you can attach your favoriate SLR lens, a thread mount on the other end (usually either 72mm, 55mm or 52mm... You would need one or more step-down rings to attach it to the HD1000 which has a 40.5mm thread), and either a "static", "vibrating", or "spinning" piece of ground glass mounted within the tube. Your SLR lens projectsthe image onto the GG and you use the macro function of the HD1000 to focus on that image giving you the same depth of field as a typical SLR camera. One problem you'll have is that the SLR->GG process ends up flipping the image both horizontally and vertically so it will show up upside down on both the LCD viewfinder and on tape...er disk...er card. Most editing softwarehave options to flip the video so that shouldn't be a big concern. The bigger issue is getting used to seeing the image flipped on the LCD. Several companies (besides M2) make "commercial" adapters... Do a google search on "LETUS35", "BREVIS", "GNR35" or "35mm DOF Adapter" for more info. There's also a good website with a lot of DIY info here: http://www.jetsetmodels.info/news.htm

You'll also find lots of disccusion about achromats (lensesdesigned to limit the effects of chromatic and spherical aberration... a common side effect of using a DOF adapter, particularly in larger cameras)

In short, here's what you need to attach an SLR lens to the HD1000:

SLR Lens --> 35mm DOF Adapter --> Step-down Ring from DOF adapter size down to 40.5mm --> HD1000. (Optional accessories: achromat, flip adapter).

EDIT: You can see some pictures of that M2 Redrock rig here (note that it's an HD1 or HD2 attached to the rig in these pics and not an HD1000):
http://www.redrockmicro.com/forum/vi...;highlight=hd1

I hope that helps.

- Ugly.

uglybassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 1:11 PM   #22

Thanks so much for the info, now I completely understand. I figured that it would be a pricey/complicated option. The wide angle screw-on .7 lens that is talked about on this thread seems to be the easiest add on for wider angles.
mumdb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:50 PM   #23

If all you are looking for is a wider angle of display, then definately it's cheaper to just get a WA lens. The whole 35mm adapter thing is really for attempting to achieve a very shallow depth of field. Not only is it expensive, but you lose the zoom ability of your camcorder. All focusing is done via the SLR lens (the focus on the camcorderneeds to belocked into the GG in the adapter). Unless you already have (or purchase) a zoom SLR lens, you will give up the ability to zoom in or out (zooming in/out on your camcorder would only be to narrow in on the GG in the adapter and would no other affect).

I recently purchased aRaynox HD-6600 Pro.66x lens which I am very happy with. I purchase one with a 49mm thread, but they are also made with 43mm, 52mm, 55mm & 58mm I believe (obviously any of these would require a step-up ring from 40.5mm to the thread size of the lens).

- Ugly.

Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:39 AM   #24

That's really why I was looking into the 35mm adapter, because I have around 8 Nikon lenses for my digital SLR's and was really hoping there was an easier way to use them. I really like the quality of output from the HD1000, but the autofocus and stabilization could use some work, but I'll be practicing alot this coming weekend while shooting a climbing competition with the HD1000 and a monopod.
mumdb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:58 AM   #25

FWIW, there are two guys over on the HV20.com forums( "twoneil" and "Worley") who sell DIY adapters in the "Trade & Exchange" section. Twoneil's is a static adapter for about $200, while Worley's is a vibrating adapter going for about $355 (depending on the strength of the US $ against the British Pound). Both are highly regarded. I just purchased a DIY vibrating adapter based on the same design as Worley's via an ebay auction for $199. I'm still waiting on the step-down rings so I can try it out with both my Sony HDR-SR1 and the Sanyo.

- Ugly.

Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:36 PM   #26

uglybassplayer wrote:
Quote:
FWIW, there are two guys over on the HV20.com forums ( "twoneil" and "Worley") who sell DIY adapters in the "Trade & Exchange" section. Twoneil's is a static adapter for about $200, while Worley's is a vibrating adapter going for about $355 (depending on the strength of the US $ against the British Pound). Both are highly regarded. I just purchased a DIY vibrating adapter based on the same design as Worley's via an ebay auction for $199. I'm still waiting on the step-down rings so I can try it out with both my Sony HDR-SR1 and the Sanyo.

- Ugly.

hey everyone -- i recently got this in the mail from ebay and have been playing around with it for about a week -- http://cgi.ebay.com.au/40.5mm-0.45X-...80418133a25855

i like it, however, it definitely makes the images a little more blurry and when taking a still picture the frame of the wide angle lens shows as a black frame within the shots

anyway -- i'm not sure how much i'm going to use it, but it has been helpful with close up shots and indoors -- it helps the "perma-zoom" look that the camera has without a lens like this

any other suggestions for the "perma-zoom" issue?

what do you do?
yotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 2:14 PM   #27

I bought this lens off ebay http://cgi.ebay.de/40-5mm-0-42X-Wide...QQcmdZViewItem

I realy like it. The black parts in the corner are pretty small and in my opinion it makes very good clips.

Here is a short clip, that I took with it and thanks to rev2010. I was able to edit it in Vegas:-):-). Thanks again very much rev2010
mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 2:54 PM   #28

I bought a number of 40.5mm conversion rings off Ebay, to fit all the wide angle lenses I had accumulated over the years.

By far the clearest lens, with "zoom-though" up to about 4:1 was the Raynox 6600PRO 52mm 0.66x that I had bought for my Canon HV20.

The Kenko KNW-05 Hi 0.55X was also pretty good (another huge 52mm lens)

But an old Kenko KCW05 0.5x lens with a 37mm thread was the one I decided to keep in my pocket. Small (30mm long 45mm max diameter) and lightweight, with adequate zoom-through and reasonable image quality, this lens is great for video. Bad vignetting occurs with 4:3 still photos, but I never take them with the HD1000 anyway

It's hard to get anything that keeps up with the lens on the HD1000 - certainly the best internal lens Sanyo has ever delivered.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 5:45 PM   #29

I had a Raynox HD5050Pro 0.5X converter.
In my opinion zooming in was not perfectly and there was a lot of distortion in full wide-angle, so I sold it.
Just to give it a try I bought two used Hama HR wide-angle lenses -
both high resolution series - at ebay germany.
The HR 0.5X All Range (49mm/67mm front thread) for 7 EUR and the HR 0.65X (49mm/52mm front thread) for 1 EUR!
I can highly recommend these for the Xacti HD1000.
Both lenses (high quality, all metal) let you zoom in all the range without any distortion, especially the HR 0.5X is great, I really like it!
I use a lot of step up and down rings and filters from my old analog set as well.

http://www.vimeo.com/912931
*derxxsfilmer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 1:18 PM   #30

Thanks for posting all the samples. I found this video of the fisheye lens on/off and zoomed.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/wi...test/966056054

dyldebus is offline   Reply With Quote