Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:47 PM   #1

I've just received the semi-fisheye lens ( the Sanyo branded one, not a third party ) and thought I'd share what I think.

This lens is not, as has been said in some posts, a push on lens. It screws to the front lens element and comes with a plastic cap for both the front and rear elements and a soft drawstring pouch, which is a nice touch. It is about an inch and a quarter long ( that's about 32 cm ) and the front diameter is the same as the black ring surrounding the Sanyo's built-in lens. It is made of black metal, nicely finished, and has a knurled grip ring for screwing and unscrewing. In other words, it looks like an extension of the lens, although it does regrettably also enhance the pistol-like appearance. Not something you'd want to point at a cop or otherwise armed and dangerous person in a tense situation, even in bright daylight.

In movie mode, you cannot have the zoom at the extreme wide setting with this lens as there is corner vignetting. So, ironically, you have to zoom in a bit to get rid of the vignetting. Just a little zooming will do. The field of view is pretty wide and happily, other than at the very corners of the image, there isn't any really objectionable distortion.

In photo mode, if you try shooting at the wide setting, you're going to have a big fat black border with a circular picture in the middle. The vignetting is far stronger in photo mode because of the different angle of view - at least if you shoot in the 4:3 aspect ratio, which I do. So if you're often shooting photos, and are looking for a wider viewpoint, I'd suggest that this isn't the lens for you. You'd have to zoom in a LOT to get rid of the vignetting, and that affects the overall sharpness of the image dramatically. Perhaps the wide angle 0.7 would be better for photos than the semi-fisheye 0.4. I should know soon as I'm expecting the wide angle to be here tomorrow.

The only fly in the ointment is reduced image sharpness of the movie, which of course was to be expected. To me, the tradeoff between getting a somewhat less crazy crisp movie and not getting one at all is one I'll happily live with. It's really not much of an issue unless you're a pixel peeper. Color doesn't seem to be affected.

Overall. having nothing to compare it to, it is better than what I expected.
Attached Images

IcelandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:02 PM   #2

I'm surprised to hear about the vignetting--very disappointing with arelatively expensive Sanyo-branded supplemental lens. Let's hope the 0.7x gives better results.
Outrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:09 PM   #3

Ok - here is part two, this one dealing with the Wide angle 0.7 converter lens. I almost dropped dead from shock when opening the soft drawstring pouch that comes with the lens and retrieving a gigantic, huge, enormous ( you get the point) wide angle adapter. Look at the attached pictures to see what I mean. Luckily, it - like the fisheye - comes with front and rear lens caps, too.

The size certainly explains why on the Sanyo website they have the same image of the fisheye lens for both lenses - people would probably not even order the wide angle simply because it is nearly as big as the camera itself. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that carrying such a monster wide angle conversion lens around renders the biggest selling point of the HD 1000 - relative portability - completely pointless. "Look, here is your new ultracompact Smart ForTwo, and attached to it, a horse trailer for all your luggage". Kind of like that.

Photographers using the SD 1000 shouldn't have bought this camera to take still images, number one, and number two, you'll definitely want to stick with the wideangle despite its size and heft. There is no vignetting in photo mode, as there is with the semi fisheye. There also doesn't seem to be much image degradation, so if you frequently shoot photos in available light, this might be the lens for you.

Video is free of vignetting with the wideangle, too. While the video field of view is nowhere near as dramatic as the semi fisheye, it does give you a wider FOV over the normal lens, as it should.

The wideangle is also very nicely finished, the same black metal and what looks to be good, solid glass.

A final point: the camera's good balance ergonomics go to h*** in the proverbial handbasket with the wideangle, so if you're a puny beach wimp looking to strengthen your wrist , this may do double duty as your favorite videotaping dumbbell. It makes the camera very front heavy. If you're going to be using a tripod, forget about those tiny pocketable folding gizmos. You'll need a pretty solid tripod and you'll have to put one of the legs under the lens to stop the camera from crashing lensfirst into the tabletop or whatever else you've placed it on.

At least you won't need to worry about the cops mistaking you for a cold blooded killer. They will think you're nuts walking around pointing what appears to be a hair dryer at people for extended periods of time

Along those lines, I forgot to mention that the fisheyeactually comes with a warning on the instruction sheet:

" Fooling around with the camera, by pointing it like a pistol, for example, may cause misunderstanding and result in unforeseen trouble "

It's accompanied by a pictogram. This shows the camera pointing at a man's face. The man appears to be - pardon the pun - sweating bullets.

So, the next time you take video of your friendly neighborhood taxicab driver, you'll know why he didn't charge you for the ride.:G

Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:15 PM   #4

View of fisheye lens:
[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/samples/Fisheye.jpg[/img]
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:17 PM   #5

Wide angle view:
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:19 PM   #6

And finally normal view:
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:09 PM   #7

Thanks for the report and photos. Glad to hear about the better optical performance of the 0.7x lens. What filter thread size is the front?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:44 PM   #8

From outside to outside, 69mm. From inside to inside, 67mm. I'm embarassed to admit I have no idea at all whether the standard filter measurement is taken from the outside or inside diameter of lenses. It never came up in 30 years of photography, as it's always printed on the lens so there isn't any guesswork. Obviously not printed on these models.

Oh, and one other thing: flash is possible with the semi fisheye if you're more interested in the top half of the image than the bottom, which suffers from the longer lens casting a big shadow.

With the wide angle, flash is completely impossible. The adapter is so big it completely covers the flash in its up position.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:06 PM   #9

The measurement is the inside one, so it should take a 67mm filter. Interesting point about the flash being blocked. Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 5:42 AM   #10

Oh... great report from IcelandFan!!

In the other HD1000 forum I asked for information on the wide angle lens and now i found this thread :roll:

In cannot decide between fisheye and wide angle 0.7 lens.

To use zoom is possible with both conversions lenses, correkt? IcelandFan prefers the fisheye despite of worse videoquality?

But he is correct, the 0.7 wide angle lens bothers the Sanyo's style...

If you zoom in the fisheye, will this typical round optic disappear? Or is the outcome always this spherical shape? Can you use the HD1000 in combination with the non switches fisheye for all situations, that means from wide angle to telephoto? Will the fisheye lead the HD1000 to an all-round camera?

Thanks!
Nutellaboy is offline   Reply With Quote