Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:05 PM   #21

All of the Sanyo's have a ultra sonic zoom motor that make noise that you can't hear, but the gear movement you can hear.

I can also hear the iris change size and the lens focus.

Overall compared to a DV cam's motor noise the Sano's are silent.
ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:06 PM   #22

Trocadile wrote:
Quote:
Brian -

Thanks for the comparison test. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm also deciding between the CG6 and HD700 and currently running similar tests. On my second go-round with the HD700, I'm being won over - the videocan beso much better that it makes up for many of the camera's quirks - quirkswhich I find less annoying as I grow used to them.
Yes I agree. The HD700 is winning me over as well. I just wish it could be recharged via a USB port like the CG 6. Have you tried the face tracking feature? It works okay but nothing to phone home about.

Yeah I think I'm sticking with this unit and returning the CG6 to Wal*Mart early next week.

-Brian
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:10 PM   #23

ArizonaVideo wrote:
Quote:
All of the Sanyo's have a ultra sonic zoom motor that make noise that you can't hear, but the gear movement you can hear.

I can also hear the iris change size and the lens focus.

Overall compared to a DV cam's motor noise the Sano's are silent.
In quiet situations I can hear the zoom noise fairly easily. I'll upload some zoom noise footage later tomorrow.

bl
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:54 PM   #24

blegate wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried the face tracking feature? It works okay but nothing to phone home about.
I haven't really tested it, as in taking similar shots with and without it to see which looks better. I've activated it a couple times and noticed it kicking in, but can't say I know whether it's worth it or not.

One thing I'm confused about is whether it is used while taking video. The manual would seem to suggest stills only, but the in-camera menu has both still and video icons highlighted, suggesting it is for both. One reason I probably won't use it much is it gets cancelled out every time you go to manual focus, something I'm doing a lot, and I would have to remember to re-activate it everytime. Probably I'll try it when posing still group portraits, but otherwise skip it.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:50 PM   #25

Trocadile wrote:
Quote:
Brian -

Thanks for the comparison test. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm also deciding between the CG6 and HD700 and currently running similar tests. On my second go-round with the HD700, I'm being won over - the videocan beso much better that it makes up for many of the camera's quirks - quirkswhich I find less annoying as I grow used to them.
Trocadile,

I have the CG65 and an inbound HD 700. What are some of the quirks you are getting used to? I really like the CG65. In fact, my only complaint is the LCD screen outside in bright light. I think I may have that fixed when I discovered that my screen was not set to max brightness.

About low light...I'm not sure what "low" actually is but I have really good results in auto iso indoors at churches etc when filming my grandson in his various graduations, singing, etc. I find that for these situations, the Sanyos are perfect. In fact, I always get a lot of questions about what my camera is and how I like it. As many have said, to get a video, you must have the camcorder with you. Seems like I'm most often the person that has one.

Just wondering what the quirks are that you refer to and how you work around them.

Thanks.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:54 AM   #26

Setter Dog -

Really nothing new that others haven't addressed already in the HD700 threads. By "quirks" I was referringless to the clear weaknesses of the camera (autofocus performance in low light, zoom noise, lack of optical IS), and more to things like the the tight field of view in video and the radically different field of view you get when pressing the still shutter (in 4:3). And then the little annoyances like the need for a docking station, the badly hinged doorsand the funky design of the lens cap (more irritating than the CG6's).

Other than using manual focus in low light situations, I don't have a lot of "work arounds" to suggest. The field of view stuff requires obvious accomodations - get further back when videotaping, get closer or zoom in more when taking 4:3 stills. The little annoyances you just get used to.

As with any camera, you just have to familiarize yourself with the strengths and weaknesses of it to get the best results. In video, for me, this has mostly meant figuring out the threshold of light where the autofocus is effective and where it isn't.

Coming from the CG6, which I think is ergonomically as close to perfect as any smallcamera I've used, the HD700,while still very good in this regard,took a little getting used to.But, inthe end, it all comes down to results, and I'm now getting much better results withthe HD700than with the CG6.

Good luck with yours - I'll be interested to hear how you think it compares to the CG65.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:11 AM   #27

Trocadile wrote:
Quote:
Setter Dog -

Really nothing new that others haven't addressed already in the HD700 threads. By "quirks" I was referringless to the clear weaknesses of the camera (autofocus performance in low light, zoom noise, lack of optical IS), and more to things like the the tight field of view in video and the radically different field of view you get when pressing the still shutter (in 4:3). And then the little annoyances like the need for a docking station, the badly hinged doorsand the funky design of the lens cap (more irritating than the CG6's).

Other than using manual focus in low light situations, I don't have a lot of "work arounds" to suggest. The field of view stuff requires obvious accomodations - get further back when videotaping, get closer or zoom in more when taking 4:3 stills. The little annoyances you just get used to.

As with any camera, you just have to familiarize yourself with the strengths and weaknesses of it to get the best results. In video, for me, this has mostly meant figuring out the threshold of light where the autofocus is effective and where it isn't.

Coming from the CG6, which I think is ergonomically as close to perfect as any smallcamera I've used, the HD700,while still very good in this regard,took a little getting used to.But, inthe end, it all comes down to results, and I'm now getting much better results withthe HD700than with the CG6.

Good luck with yours - I'll be interested to hear how you think it compares to the CG65.
Trocadile,....I'll post as soon as I get the hang of mine. Most of the things you mention are familiar to me with the CG65. I'm very glad you are getting much better results with the 700 than the C6,.....that's good news.

About the ergonomics, although the C65 is very good, I thought the C5 was much better, particularly the zoom slider vs the rocker switch on the C65. My uses for these cameras was initially outdoor stills and videos on my hunting trips but I gave up on that due to problems finding the subject in the LCD. I'm hoping the 700s larger screen is a tad brighter and I can use it in the field. If not, it will serve well as a handy tool for grandsons games and events.

Whatever their weaknesses, these Sanyos really have a lot to offer the person who wants memories and doesn't require perfection. I was tempted by the larger HD models with the 10X zoom, but size was the determining factor for me. If it won't fit in my shirt pocket, I don't want it.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote