Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtak View Post
..All the same, I wonder how powerful a computer is needed. .. Would my 1600 USD buy me a computer that could play and edit HDx000 video or would I still be reconverting?..
May I suggest you to take 10% of your $1600 and purchase a 2TB external HD instead?
Then, you can easily convert raw files to MJPEG @ 90% quality in one pass (the result will be pretty much the same visual quality)

This way you can edit with any computer (I do all my 1080P editing on a notebook. no problems) and encode back to MP4 the resulting AVI (MJPEG) with PCM (uncompressed) audio.

Take the rest of the money and party like is 1995!

But seriously, HD space is cheap, and visually you lose nothing (the conversion takes place almost in realtime with virtualdub)
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:31 PM   #22

Thank you.
I have the very bottom of the range CUDA enabled graphics card, a 8400GS
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html
but made by Leadtech in its fanless variant, WinFast PX8400 GS. It says that it is Nvidia compatible so I am assuming that it is CUDA enabled. I believe it is "PureVideo" enabled which this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_..._.28HD.29_GPUs
wikipedia article claims allows the offloading of video playback to the gpu.

I spent a while looking at the net to see which graphics card i should buy. It seems that Vegas Pro 8 does not use the gpu much anyway. Playback might improve with a card nearer the top of the above list.

I am still tempted to stay with my HD2, for youtube. Lets face it, the only place that the vast vast majority of videographers get viewers is on youtube. So if you have a camera that can provide the best that youtube can distribute then there does not seem to be a lot of point in going further. Probably most of the people on these forums distribute to TV. I tried vimeo but I got no viewers there.

Last edited by timtak; Oct 30, 2009 at 10:36 PM.
timtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 2:18 AM   #23

Subc, I just tried to open one of my HD1010 mpeg4 videos with virtualdub and it would not open it. Am I missing something?
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by relate2 View Post
Subc, I just tried to open one of my HD1010 mpeg4 videos with virtualdub and it would not open it. Am I missing something?
I wrote a little about converting MP4 files to AVI (MJPEG + PCM) using virtualdub. Look here:
http://www.freewareguy.com/2009/09/o...in-virtualdub/

I need to expand on the subject, because this technique is useful and valid for almost any type of file from newer video cameras (HD1000, HD1010, HD2000, HF1, CG6, CG65, CG10, Aiptek cameras, Panasonic LX3, MTS files, etc), but for this I would probably need source files (raws from the dif cameras to test my method on)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:36 PM   #25

Thanks Subc for that very detailed write up.

My only problem is most of my hang gliding flights end up with 2 video files of 3.99 gig each as I mount my camera on my glider out of reach and can't turn it on and off. If I was to convert them to .avi I would not have enough hard drive space to hold them all.

I recently had some of my old super 8 movie film converted to .avi and a 3 minute film ends up around 700 meg. If I converted my 8 gig hang gliding videos to .avi it would be around 160 gig so you see 160 gig per flight is just too much to deal with.

You system would work fine if I was taking normal videos of a couple of minutes here and there, but unfortunately it is not workable for me with such large videos.

Cheers

Robert
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:44 PM   #26

Relate 2,

Is it too difficult to use the remote to start and stop recording while hang gliding? Is it a activation issue, wearing gloves etc or is it not being 100% sure whether or not the camera is actually filming? It's not like you have your hands full
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:24 AM   #27

Hi Markinter, unfortunately the remote only works properly when the camera is in the dock. It has been over a year since I tried it but I am sure it will turn the unit off but not back on again.

In my movies most times the camera is mounted out of my reach.

Cheers

Robert
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtak
This video explains how to convert the files using something called MPEG Streamclip.
http://vimeo.com/5567787
It seems that it is not as slow as capturing from tape since one can reconvert in about 1/3 of the time that it took to take the video (i.e. a one hour video in 20 minutes).
Did you try "streamclip"? I believe that it is free, and that it converts to compressed formats and not only avi.

Erightsoft' super is also free (though difficult ot find on their site, and it converts from and too many formats) although it is claimed that it overwrites some things in your system. see
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...=1#post1340214

There is no ideal solution, of course.
AVS4You may be worth trying even if some people have bad experiences with it and it costs 39 USD. I indend to purchase it for converting mp4 to flash for web distribution. You can choose which part of the clip you want to convert, as in virtualdub, and you can cut the video into several different destination files. I am not associated with AVS4you and recommend that you read this before you even consider purchase.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...=1#post1340214
timtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by relate2 View Post
Hi Markinter, unfortunately the remote only works properly when the camera is in the dock. It has been over a year since I tried it but I am sure it will turn the unit off but not back on again.

In my movies most times the camera is mounted out of my reach.

Cheers

Robert
Robert,

I was referring to just starting and stopping recording with the remote to keep the file sizes down not powering the cam on and off. When I want to create a time-lapse I need at least an hr of footage and I use the remote to start and stop recording to limit camera shake and break the clips into usable sizes (under 2 gigs). Are you saying that while flying the remote won't affect the camera due to a bad angle between camera and remote?

Mark
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:17 AM   #30

Hi Mark,

I thought I tested mine and I could not do that. I will have to re-test it. My other problem though is trying to get it to work in bright sunlight from 15 feet.

I will give it a try tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Robert