Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:23 AM   #1

I have recently bought the above camcorder and very pleased with it. The problem I have is that it comes with Photo shop software`to download the images. I do not really want to use Adobe Photoshop. Is it possible to use the software already available with Windows XP? I can take stills as well as video with the Xacti . Does anyone know how to configure the Xacti to use already loaded software? eg. Movie maker for the videos and My Pictures for the stills. Is it possibel? Any help or advice will be gratefully received.:?
Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:57 PM   #2

Why not buy an inexpensive SDHC card reader? Your memory card will then appear as another drive to which you will have access to your files. You can then use the files in any compatible application as you wish. The still images will work with just about any software these days as the jpeg format is practically universal. The video files being in h264 format will only work in software that's compatible but that is increasing all the time. I am sure others here with more experience of editing software will point you towards something more suitable as I don't tend to do a lot of editing myself and simply keep the raw files as they are most of the time!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:59 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your excellent advice. I will look into it and work something out. I didn't like Adobe Photoshop as it always grabbed every picture I downloaded from the camera and I didn't always want them to go Photoshop. It seemed to take over my photos and I found it very hard to move them out. I do not really want to go down that road again. Many thanks for your reply.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:41 PM   #4

To be honest I have rarely used the USB cable on any of my digital cameras. I guess I got into the habit of using a card reader because my first digital camera (Olympus D340R) only had a serial cable to download the photos. Using a card reader was advantageous speedwise as well then.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:29 AM   #5

I think you have convinced me. A card reader it is then. I will check them out. What did I do before I found this excellent forum.

Very grateful