Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:10 AM   #1

Quick "first impressions" review of both official Sanyo lenses for the HD1000, more will follow...

.4x SEMI-FISHEYE

The good: gets a killer angle of view and is relatively small in physical size.

The bad: image quality suffers (softer), vignettes bad at no zoom and does it in an asymetricaly way which is lame. It vignettes significantly more on the left than the right, almost like Sanyo must not be reading an image from the center of the lens, which also implies it does that for the built in lens too. After zooming in a tiny bit, you can get rid of the vignette and still have a very wide angle of view that is nice (albeit with a softer image and asymetrical barrel distortion). Also, this lens makes the HD1000 look even more like a gun cause the barrel now extends out farther and in the same size as the built-in lens.

.7x WIDE ANGLE

The good: gives you the angle of view that you wish you had without it, meaning this lens basically gets you to a nice field of view, not too wide and not to narrow. Also, image quality is much better than the fisheye it seems at first glance. And this lens makes the HD1000 look less like a gun.

The bad: it's way bigger physically than the fisheye is, and it's still not that wide.

I haven't tested much yet, so this is first impressions. Didn't test much zoom through yet either, but I don't buy these things to zoom with, so I don't care that much. Also, as with any adapter, you're going to lose some light, so these puppies are going to both hurt you on indoor footage of course, just another thing to also consider.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:53 PM   #2

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
.4x SEMI-FISHEYE

It vignettes significantly more on the left than the right, almost like Sanyo must not be reading an image from the center of the lens, which also implies it does that for the built in lens too.

On the HD700 thread I pointed out that one member's photos were softer on the left than the right. That would explain that observation. The sensor isn't lined up with the lens axis. Maybe a packaging problem.
Outrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:25 PM   #3

I saw that comment before but didn't make the connection. Its completely consistent with my findings with the fisheye though. That said, not sure what you mean about a packaging problem? If you're suggesting we have bad units, I highly doubt it considering how perfect my HD1000 works in general. I'll bet money it's designed that way, which is not only crazy, but kind of stupid too. Not sure if it's the same for photos or not though, I only used it for video last night, so I guess it's possible that the photos use more or a different part of the sensor?
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:37 PM   #4

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
...not sure what you mean about a packaging problem?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant that the designers of the camera had to put everything into a very limited size and shape package. It still seems surprising though that they wouldn't have been able to line up the sensor with the lens. One more thought: Are you testing with EIS on or off?
Outrageous is offline   Reply With Quote