Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:24 AM   #1

Hi Folks,....With the recent blow out on the HD 700 by Amazon for $300, I imagine there are lots of new owners that will be using this camera over the holidays. I know mine will be getting a workout as soon as it arrives.

I have read all 421 posts in Caelums fine thread and users review. Opinions vary on just about every aspect of using this little camera. Some of the tips seem very useful, such as turning off IS in certain conditions and using the toggle switch to lock focus etc.

I wonder if on this new post some of you would post a few specific tips for new users? Not so much as what you like and don't like but how to get best performance out of this interesting camera. Caelum probably has more experience with his now and is probably willing to condense some of his obsrvations, opinions, and recommendations.

If this thread doesn't take hold, I'll probably wade through the 421 posts again,...... but will have to wait a day or two before my eyes uncross!

Thanks to all of you users that are willing to share your tips!
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:57 PM   #2

I contacted M$ and they told me I had to contact the PC manufacture (HP) so I did and they turned around and said I have to contact Sanyo so I did and Sanyo just flat out said there is no patch. The tech -support there said if your system does not support SDHC than you are out of luck.

For God's sake, everyone here has Vista and that is why it is not an issue?

Anyone have XP and know of a patch?
Prince Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:26 PM   #3

Prince Lynx wrote:
Quote:
I contacted M$ and they told me I had to contact the PC manufacture (HP) so I did and they turned around and said I have to contact Sanyo so I did and Sanyo just flat out said there is no patch. The tech -support there said if your system does not support SDHC than you are out of luck.

For God's sake, everyone here has Vista and that is why it is not an issue?

Anyone have XP and know of a patch?
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is but it sounds like you can't get the SDHC card to load files on your computer???

When I bought by 4GB SDHC cards they came with a little adapter that I guess is to convert them to regular SD so they will load on a computer that doesn't support SDHC. I have a Vista system HP so don't have a problem but I'm sure one of these adapters will fix your problem,........if I understand the problem correctly??
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:54 PM   #4

Seems that a lot of us are still in Caelum thread. Hop in there. Also, go through this:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ips/index.html
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:29 PM   #5

setterdog

opening up I went directly to the camcorder charged, a few hours into filming

I did notget involved with any manual or other features. I suggest ifyou are serious on keeping this. play with it the first day - through -third day, then get into the more advanced controls, I am sure you can save shortcuts to controls.

If the More advanced features are too hard and you can deal with it then you're set. If you have no idea after reading through all those pages then soon you'll decide

enjoy filming
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:58 PM   #6

Oh yes, I'm definitely serious about keeping the HD700. I have the C5 and CG65 and like most everything about them. My only complaint is that I have problems with the LCD outdoors in bright sun. I have trouble aquiring a subject at any distance and telling what's going on in the scene. For that reason, I use a Canon A710 for my quail hunting trips, taking video and stills of my dogs at "work". The top of my wish list for Sanyo or anyone else is that they include an optical viewfinder on their cameras. It's possible the larger screen on the 700 may be better, but I'm not counting on that.

The C5 is going to one of my grandkids and the CG65 will stay in reserve. The plan for the HD700 is videos of grandsons T-ball games, close ups of Elk and Moose in the preserve in Wyoming, and special events such as Christmas. HD is certainly here to stay. One thing I know I'll like is the slider for zooming. The rocker arm on the CG65 makes zooming awkward, in my opinion. The slider on the old C5 was much better. Sanyo must have gotten the message.

I'm really hoping someone will give me a clue on a few specifics, such as:

Which editing program is simple and effective?

Clever way to "fix" the focus hunting problems that all the Xactis seem to have

Is anyone using an 8GB SD card? What brand?

Best settings for indoor shots, etc.

Anxious to get this new camera. Caelums review and the many, many responses have been somewhat helpful.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 7:40 PM   #7

Setter Dog,

I think if you tend to use these cameras mainly for video outdoors during the day then the HD700 certainly isn't a bad camera, especially now most of us seemed to get it for $299. That makes it cheaper than the CG65 and in SD mode it's basically a CG65 as far as I can tell, but perhaps having more experience you'd be better able to let us know if this really is the case.

Thankfully Barrel Distortion is nowhere near as noticeable in video mode as it is in still image mode (I would have definitely sent it back had that been the case!). The narrow field of view is a common complaint but it's one I can live with and work around.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:37 PM   #8

I'm now trying out my second HD700 - having returned one I paid $550 for, I'm seeing if I like it better for $300. So far I do- partly because my second one has a quieter zoom.

Regarding the focus hunting which was one of the principal reasons I returned the first one: when shooting videoinside, I'm going mostly with manual focus. In low light, the auto setting just doesn't cut it, and I find I get decent results locking focus instead. Just put focus as one of your shortcuts and it's only a minor hassle.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:46 AM   #9

Anyone else experiencing zoom noise on the hd700? I have.
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:46 AM   #10

I noticed that when I had placed my hands on the zoom, and possably on a vid, but no longer worried due to returning
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote