Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:02 PM   #1

hey everyone,
just picked up an HD700. was real excited about it, but when i got home and tried to import into final cut express via the "log and transfer" feature, it didn't work. at first it didn't recognize the camera, so i navigated to the folder on the camera which olds the actual video. no dice, doesn't support mp4.

this is a serious flaw. so far i can't find a fix. it works fine with the new imovie though, which doesn't make sense to me. you'd think the higher end product would have the same functionality as the low end stuff...

does any one know a fix? this seriously blows.
thanks,
a really frustrated hd700 owner
jklikesfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2

Probably a dumb question but you're running an Intel Processor right? On the final Cut Apple page it as a little asterisk that states you need an intel processor to run this type clip.
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:15 AM   #3

not a dumb question at all, i figured a bunch of people probably stumble over that also. i'm running a macbook, so i do indeed have an intel processor.

i want to clarify though, i can use them in final cut. however, mp4 has to be rendered every time you make a change. if you want to use preview mode, you have to open the clip up in quick time pro and export it a certain way.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:36 AM   #4

Here's the link to the page that specifies the Intel processor

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/specs.html

Sorry I cannot help anymore as I do not know Apple products....only windows based machines.

b
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:42 PM   #5

no problem, and yeah, i do have intel. all macbooks do, it's the powerbooks and ibooks that don't.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 8:15 PM   #6

Just saw this on Apple's store reviews, this may be the problem you're having with the Hd700:

"Forget about having FCHD4 import your AVCHD files from the SD card reader (as iMovie 08 does). This turkey actually makes you connect your camcorder to the computer with a FireWire cable and capture the files old school style. Who engineered that? Isn't that the whole point of using AVCHD and SD cards for video."

Since the HD700 isn't firewire...
visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:18 PM   #7

ah, thanks for updating me. and that is really odd, no sense at all. oh well.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:33 PM   #8

I have a HD1000 but haven't tried editing clips on my Mac yet. I have FCE 3.5HD. If that's true with FCE 4 then it's a big joke, capture via Firewire???

So does that mean you have to use iMovie to import and then export to FCE 4?
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:37 AM   #9

Basically, what I've found is that if you're not using firewire you can't use it. You're screwed with USB. I personally don't export via imovie. I convert all my clips with quicktime pro to a codec that will let me use real-time preview in final cut. That way I don't have to render to view certain plugins, etc.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:51 AM   #10

I'll admit that I have FCP 5.1.4 and know how to use it but find myself playing in iMovie 6 HD most -- it's so fast and easy to use. I've used iMovie '08 (iMovie lite) for PDQ uploading to .mac, YouTube and exporting for Vimeo.

My basic workflow is to put the HD700 in the dock and copy the files to a folder on my hard drive, even though iMovie '08 sees the HD700 and will import the clips. Of interest is that iMovie '08 does a darn decent job of exporting to FCP, too. Do the drag/drop and rough edit in iMovie '08 and then export to FCE/FCP for the serious work. Use iMovie '08 as the media storage, too. I'm not a fan of iMovie '08 but I'm starting to embrace it as a pathway. Beats Log and Capture to me.

When jklikesfilm first mentioned the problem I dusted off and opened FCP and dragged the clips from my drive to it with no problem. I was concerned that it might not work with FCP 5.1.4 but it did just fine.

From my reading the reviews on Apple's store site for FCE 4 it looks like a step back from 3.5:

"What Apple does not say on their web page is that the FCE 4 "upgrade" is actually a downgrade. Soundtrack is gone, and so are almost all the LiveType extras. So for a $100 price cut, Apple has taken out $200 worth of extras."

visorblue is offline   Reply With Quote