Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:32 PM   #1

I haven't been on this forum in many months but checked in a week or so ago and learned of the Amazon special on the HD 700. There was a nice review by Caelum and other good comments that prompted me to order one. I've been a happy Sanyo CG65 user and this seemed like a logical upgrade.

Since I got back on the forum, I've read odds and ends of posts in the various threads and one theme seems to stand out. People are returning the HD 700 with great regularity, it seems. Some people have returned two of them already and working on the third.

I find this really surprising and would like opinions on what's going on. Obviously, a defective camera should be returned. On the other hand, the liberal return policies of some vendors seem to invite trials of these cameras where there is not much intent of keeping the camera.

Is Sanyo's quality control as bad as it seems from reading about the returns on this forum? It seems to me that if one is happy with the focus, zoom noise, etc on the CG65, they will probably be happy with the HD 700. There is not going to be absolute perfection in the HD 700, or anything else.

Frankly, I'm glad I didn't read too many posts before I ordered my HD 700. They would have scared me off. When it arrives, I'll give it a work out and don't really expect a problem.

Could be that the HD 700 has a high percentage of lemons, I guess, but it seems more logical that it's improved over the CG65.

What do some of you actual users think?
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:49 PM   #2

I know what you mean. I got scared off and failed to order the $299 sporatic special from Amazon . I waited several days hoping it would come back before giving up and ordering one on Ebay for 329 plus 20 shipping (probably the seller bought several from Amazon). Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. The day after I ordered I saw BestBuy had the Kodak v1253 (which has 720p video) together with a Kodak all in one printer for $279. The v1253 was the camera I was going to get before I decided on the HD700. It better be good!:?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:48 PM   #3

Honestly I think the issue is the expectation of what HD really means. The marketeers flood you with messages of HD's clear life like pictures soyour expectation is set- whether you know it or not. The questionis what is HD from a marketing perspective?Anyways, here comes along a $299 digi-camcorder and folks are expecting it to mimic a $1400 JVC HD or Canon- not going to happen. I also believe this unit as well as the hd1000 has attracted a host of new Sanyo converts who don't have an understanding of how these camera work and the quirks that come along with them. People are picky especially with photography so you win some lose some.

Frankly I'm satisfied with this unit @ $299. I upgraded from a C40 so this is like night and day for me. I was also scared off by the reviews and the posts about the HD700 just like you. I did a lot of ponderingbefore I pulled the trigger and then I still went and bought a CG6 @ Wally World as insurance (good price). The CG6 is going to be returned. I'm glad I got the 700.

BTW,thanksto the folks @ this forum (like fishycomics) forpostingabout the HD700 price changes @ Amazon. Without knowing this I wouldn't have gotten the$50 adjustment.

I suppose in summary, is the HD700 perfect? No. Is the HD1000 perfect? No. Will the HD700 catch those one in a life time moments better than my stale dustyJVC MiniDV? You bet!

-b

blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:38 AM   #4

blegate wrote:
Quote:
Honestly I think the issue is the expectation of what HD really means. The marketeers flood you with messages of HD's clear life like pictures soyour expectation is set- whether you know it or not. The questionis what is HD from a marketing perspective?Anyways, here comes along a $299 digi-camcorder and folks are expecting it to mimic a $1400 JVC HD or Canon- not going to happen. I also believe this unit as well as the hd1000 has attracted a host of new Sanyo converts who don't have an understanding of how these camera work and the quirks that come along with them. People are picky especially with photography so you win some lose some.

Frankly I'm satisfied with this unit @ $299. I upgraded from a C40 so this is like night and day for me. I was also scared off by the reviews and the posts about the HD700 just like you. I did a lot of ponderingbefore I pulled the trigger and then I still went and bought a CG6 @ Wally World as insurance (good price). The CG6 is going to be returned. I'm glad I got the 700.

BTW,thanksto the folks @ this forum (like fishycomics) forpostingabout the HD700 price changes @ Amazon. Without knowing this I wouldn't have gotten the$50 adjustment.

I suppose in summary, is the HD700 perfect? No. Is the HD1000 perfect? No. Will the HD700 catch those one in a life time moments better than my stale dustyJVC MiniDV? You bet!

-b
I think you hit the nail on the head there. People should be comparing these with what has gone before ie my Super VHS-C camera for instance and even regular consumer grade miniDV not current semi-prosumer pieces of equipment. With these, it compares very favorably. Some go overboard and go over the video looking for the slightest artifacts etc which are inevitable with a highly compressed format yet the vast majority of consumers won't ever notice them. The low light problem affects all consumer grade camcorders not just these devices.

I also have a C40 and the HD700 video seems smoother due to the h264 codec.

What they forget is that these are MEMORY CARD devices. I still find it amazing that you can record high quality video on an inexpensive relatively robust reusable tiny memory card that is easily worked with on a PC.

I think these devices are the future, even more so than Hard Drive Devices since you the media is removeable and robust. Of course I am sure they'll come up with a camcorder that takes removeable hard drives but it still won't have the pocketibility of these devices.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:35 AM   #5

willk wrote:
Quote:
The v1253 was the camera I was going to get before I decided on the HD700. It better be good!:?
I got the 1253 for my wife. Video looks real good, but the sound is not stereo. If it had been stereo I would have gotton one for myself. The advantage of the HD700 is that it's easier to hold and shoot than a stadard camera form factor like the 1253.
yardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:22 AM   #6

yardline wrote:
Quote:
willk wrote:
Quote:
The v1253 was the camera I was going to get before I decided on the HD700. It better be good!:?
I got the 1253 for my wife. Video looks real good, but the sound is not stereo. If it had been stereo I would have gotton one for myself. The advantage of the HD700 is that it's easier to hold and shoot than a stadard camera form factor like the 1253.
Are you sure it's not stereo? I thought the v1253 has it but not the v1233 or z1275.

willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 7:13 PM   #7

My bad. I have the 1233.
yardline is offline   Reply With Quote