Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:29 PM   #1

Hey, I took a bunch of video snowboarding and kiteboarding over the last couple of weeks, and I just kept the image stabilization on since these were all tripod-less and commonly using zoom. What I am seeing is that the videos come out with a slight, rhythmic jerk. Do others see this? Does the rom update fix this by any chance? Otherwise it takes great videos.
sonicwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:20 AM   #2

I too have noticed these "jerky" moves with the IS......I think it's a design flaw or limit with the chip and IS feature.......definitely needs some tweaking in that dept!
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:34 PM   #3

Me too. I decided to work without any video IS. You can't keep so still that it doesn't happens. If I use big zoom I take a tripod or monopod. IS only with pictures. Also focusing isn't the best. Most of the time I use"locked focus" or "manual focus", also because of the noise of the auto focus motor. But then the video quality is superb.
ddchesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 1:35 AM   #4

So I did a test creating 2 videos of the same thing, filming a sports activity using zoom while just standing holding the camera. The result, the anti-shake enabled video is way, way better than the non-anti-shake video. But in terms of anti-shake, it is not as good as my previous camera, a Canon Optura 30.
sonicwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:33 AM   #5

Yes, I agree it's best to leave IS turned on if you're hand-holding as the results with IS turned off is too shakey. I really have to pay attention to my breathing to hold the HD1000 steady.

The ideal situation that has worked for me is to put the HD1000 on my monopod and hold the monopod near the middle. This stabilizes the HD1000 enough to turn off the IS mode.

I also am learning to pan around slower with the HD1000 to avoid that IS generated jerkiness.
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote