Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:15 PM   #1

Today I got around to doing some testing of my HD 700 vs my CG65. Frankly, the CG65 video seems every bit as sharp and colorful as my HD700, possibly even a tad better. Nevertheless, I will keep the HD 700 and try to get better results with it. I have specific uses for these small camcorders and I especially like the way the HD 700 zooms with a slider instead of rocker arm. The larger screen is slightly better for my uses also.

I'm trying to find some settings that I like and which give me the most pleasing video. I did ten second videos with image settings of normal, vivid, soft and soft vivid. I joined the four clips and played them on my HD TV. Frankly, there isn't a lot of difference but both my wife and I preferred the soft vivid,....so that settles that.

My indoor videos aren't that impressive so far,....not as good as the CG65 IMO. What do you guys do to get a little more light on the subject, use the exposure compensation or bump the ISO up. I'm not sure what the difference is so maybe someone can enlighten me,..... no pun intended.

The hunting focus problem is there just as in all the Sanyo models. How do you guys deal with it?

So far I haven't tried video without the IS on, but I note that the "Auto" mode of factory settings by Sanyo has the IS off. What do you folks do?

Hopefully, this HD 700 is just getting warmed up and will please me more as I get the hang of it. I think I'd like it better if I'd never used a CG65.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:55 PM   #2

Is this inside video only? Hard to believe the HD700 would have less video quality. I have mine with vivid only, no IS. Outdoors the video played back on my 56" HDTV is beautiful. It is certainly better than my dv camcorder. Let me put it this way- I could definately get some nice 4"x6" prints from stills taken from some of the video. No way I could do that from a DV Camcorder or the video mode of my Panasonic TZ3. The CG65 is just 640x480 isn't it? I would think that would look kind of bad stretched out on my TV.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 2:46 PM   #3

The CG65 clips don't actually stretch out on my 32 HD TV. I think the presentation is what they call letter box, dark areas on left and right of the picture.

I like the 700 but wouldn't be truthful if I said I saw significant quality improvement over the CG65, inside or outside. I will be using it mainly because of the wide screen format, ease of zooming, larger screen etc., not overall quality. I suspect I will learn to love it and perhaps had expectations of really dramatically improved video. It didn't happen.

I'm certainly not in the business of bashing Sanyo. I'm on my third Xacti and they have all been satisfactory. It does look like they never really learn from previous models however. Reverting back to the docking system seems pretty silly to me. And eliminating the place to charge an extra battery makes no sense,.....except that they are probably hoping to sell more stand alone battery chargers.

For those of us that are looking for a memory saver and don't plan to produce Academy Award type videos, Sanyo has done a real service producing cameras that take decent video, have fine sound and are small enough to make the trip most of the time.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:23 AM   #4

Hi setterdog,
I also did the same an upgraded from th CG65 to the HD700. I was thinking of the HD1000, but to big so what the point in having a cmaera, thats always home...

Inside settings: I stopped using automatic ISO and I get the best quality at 200 and if there is not enough light i switch HS on but this reduces the number of images per second. Also, I've put a shortcut to block the autofocus which stops the hunting.

As for the upggrade from the CG65, the image is compareble but bigger and I find that there is no turning back...

Mike

fastmike524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:08 AM   #5

fastmike524 wrote:
Quote:
Hi setterdog,
I also did the same an upgraded from th CG65 to the HD700. I was thinking of the HD1000, but to big so what the point in having a cmaera, thats always home...

Inside settings: I stopped using automatic ISO and I get the best quality at 200 and if there is not enough light i switch HS on but this reduces the number of images per second. Also, I've put a shortcut to block the autofocus which stops the hunting.

As for the upggrade from the CG65, the image is compareble but bigger and I find that there is no turning back...

Mike

Hello fastmike524

What do you mean, when you say: "I've put a shortcut to block the autofocus which stops the hunting".

I haveautofocus issues especially in grey, darker situations and could not correct them so far.
HD700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 2:13 PM   #6

Ha-Ha-Ha as i am reading slowely the manual a shortcut can be placed that will allow a fixed focus lens , its a great feature but will learn how to something like holding down the Full auto and set
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote