Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:34 AM   #1

Does anyone tried putting a lens protector or an UV filter on HD1000, just to protect the lens. I know its 40.5mm in diameter and many brands make them, but will the lens cap fit onto the filter? I was looking at Tiffen and Hoya from B&H, and I'm leaning more towards Tiffen because its only 3mm thick, vs Hoya which is 5mm thick, the only concern is lens cap not fitting. So if anyone tried putting a lens/UV protector on HD1000 I would appreciate the input, specialy about the lens cap fitment.

Thanks
sania4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:06 AM   #2

I was misled to purchase a Tiffen 49mm UV Protection Filter from Amazon.com as a recomended accessory at the same time as I purchased my Hd1000 which obviously does not fit. Looking at the thread on the Tiffen though I can tell you that I don't see the large groove that is needed for attching the lense cap that came with the HD1000. This larger groove is found at the end of the finner grooves that you should be able to see on your HD1000 lense.
This lense cap may sit just fine on the one of the grooves made for screwing attchments on the Tiffen but it may not have that strong latching. You can experiment it for yourself by tring to put your lense cap on the HD1000 front end grooves instead of the larger groove all the way at the back and have a feel for your self.
Amer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 3:53 PM   #3

Hi,

I just got my HD1000 today and have been debating picking up a UV filter for lens protection. I use B+W filters on my SLR lenses. The HD1000 has suck a lerge lens compared to eith the E1 or the HD2 (I own all three camera now). If I go with a filter I will likely go with this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Haze_010.html

Regards,

Joe
arcangel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:41 AM   #4

I bought the Hoya 40.5mm UV filter for $11.95 from B&H with my HD1000. The Sanyo lens cap does clip on to the Hoya UV filter. Since the Tiffen filter is thinner it's possible there are no grooves for the lens cap to clip on to or the grooves might not be deep enough to get a good clip - this happened to me before when I bought really thin circular polarizers for my DSLR.

I find the UV filter to be essential because the HD1000 is often carried in my jacket pocket and the lens cap gets knocked off easily - imagine all the lint that floats around in your pocket.
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:45 AM   #5

arcangel6, I only use high quality German filters on my Canon L series lenses too, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference on a camcorder. On a camera you're only taking still images so any filter degradation can be noticeable.

With a camcorder you're capturing moving images so I believe it's diminishing returns to spend that much on a B+W filter.
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:36 AM   #6

Thanks 3ccdmbp, you answered my question, I'll order and try Hoya filter today.
sania4 is offline   Reply With Quote