Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:32 PM   #21

Well what happens is, FCE4HD can work with them directly but they'll need to be rendered because FCE and iMovie08 use the AIC codec for their HD video- there's no way around that!
FCP 6.02 does however handle the files natively without rendering.

So while there's no way to edit AVCHD, even in FCP6, the Xacti clips are indeed able to be edited in thier raw form.

I'm sure all the NLE's will eventually be able to edit AVCHD files natively, especially considering it's the current codec of choice amongst the manufacturers as evideced by the slew of new 2008 camcorders just announced at CES!

If working with these files are proving to be a problem for some on the Mac side- you can always use the free prog MpegStreamclip which will export the clips to various NLE friendly formats.

Good luck everyone.
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:37 PM   #22

Thanks Steve, I thought somebody posted that FCE 4 can't edit the MP4 files because FCE 4 requires Firewire transfer via log and transfer to import the file. Did you just drag and drop or how did you get the MP4 file into FCE4?
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:42 PM   #23

FCE lets you do an "Import Files or Folder" and the raw clips are then immediately available to the user. They just need a quick render when on the timeline as AIC is the only HD codec available to it.......FCP6 has no such limitation and can edit the files natively.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:18 PM   #24

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
A tight women's jean pocket, maybe not,
That's OK, I mostly hang around with loose women.
sonicwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:24 PM   #25

Has anyone been able to use the files from hd1000 and play or edit on PC ? I must not have the right stuff. It has been hard to find any editing software or playback software to view the HD content.
pgangani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:40 PM   #26

SteveNunez wrote:
Quote:
FCE lets you do an "Import Files or Folder" and the raw clips are then immediately available to the user. They just need a quick render when on the timeline as AIC is the only HD codec available to it.......FCP6 has no such limitation and can edit the files natively.
You're right, did some reading and iMovie 08 requires AIC to work on. Not a problem since import convert to AIC happens really fast on my iMac 2.8GHz and is lossless. Can't believe how easy it is to edit and share the MP4 videos on the Mac. This is great, thanks for testing, now I'm excited to get FCE 4 as well.
3ccdmbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:55 AM   #27

I had paid $159 US in Dec 2005 for my C6 camera from warehouse123.com, but the cheapest I can find the HD1000 today is for $582 US at cameraaddict.com (free postage since the cost is more than $250).

I don't even want to pay $582! Anybody find any better deals around?

(It had cost me $200 for my 2GB memory card in 2005, whereas today I can get a 8GB SDHC for about $40, and flash pricing is still in free-fall!)

Edit: Hm check that, I guess the price has dropped to $527 & free shipping for cost more than $100. But pricing is called "clearance pricing" so I guess it may be short duration.

Edit again: here's a good article about the crooked Brooklyn dealers centered around Broadway (which includes Camera Addict and many others). In the past Steve has recommended against ever dealing with any of these people. Here's an article about them:
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2102p117id107855.htm

Here's another article linking Camera Addict to the infamous Broadway Photo:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/bwayphoto.com/

Last Edit: the best "authentic" price I can find is with J&R photo in New York for $800 - $150 discount = $650, is there really no better price than that?

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:53 AM   #28

Does the FCE work with windows vista or just IMAC only?

Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:13 AM   #29

FCE (Final Cut Express) is a Mac only product.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:22 PM   #30

Do you know of any product that will do the same for vista?