Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:23 PM   #1

Hello everyone,

I'm new on the forum and I'm thinking of buying a Xacti CG6 or CG65. Do you know the differences between these 2 camrecorders?

Also, is the CG6 really better compared to the C6? (I'm also thinking buying a second hand model).
@lexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:12 PM   #2

This has been discussed a lot on this forum with the consensus being that both are great little cameras but the CG65 gets the nod from most as the better of the two in several areas.

I had a C5 and now have a CG65. The CG65 is a great little camera. You'll like it.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:35 AM   #3

@lexis wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'm new on the forum and I'm thinking of buying a Xacti CG6 or CG65. Do you know the differences between these 2 camrecorders?

Also, is the CG6 really better compared to the C6? (I'm also thinking buying a second hand model).

I studied both the CG6 and CG65 at length and spec wise the difference is that the CG65 has Advanced Mpeg-4 compression and the CG6 does not. In all a 25% storage saving they say. Also the Advanced compression is a big bonus to Apple fans. If you go to the Sanyo site both camera have identical specifications with the exception of the Advanced compression which in my opinion isn't worth the price difference; however, if you own an Apple I'd get the CG65 since Apples are special.

Some claim the advanced compression makes the video smoother but in reality it's probably playing better on their computer than the basic Mp4 compression the Xacti's once had. I've played with video samplesfromboth on a high end system and do not see any better video from either unit. I've rendered both types to DVD (basic Mpeg2), WMV, etc.and do not see any difference.:?

I see Wal-Mart in my local area still is selling the CG6 @ $199.

Here's an Amazon review (the second one) to review that states the same findings.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-CG65.../dp/B000OV6ARC

My $.02,

B

blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:58 AM   #4

blegate,

Thank you very much for this clear and complete explanation.
@lexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:20 AM   #5

I remember when I was buying my CG65 I read alot of articlescomparing the two and the video quality is slightly different. Check out this thread for some examples..

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=cg65

TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote