Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your HD 700?
Yes 4 66.67%
I'm disappointed in my HD 700 0 0%
I had one and sent it back 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:55 PM   #11

I've owned both, and I prefer the HD700. The CG65 is smaller, and that's it's major advantage. But, I feel the HD700 actually produces a better image overall. Also, the HD700 has way more manual control (over speed, aperture, etc.), so if you know what you are doing, you can usually get a decent shot off. I do feel that the HD700 wasn't quite ready for prime time, but then again, for its size and in its class, I'm not sure there's much competing with it -- name another hybrid that performs as well at that size? And for $299, that was totally worth it, for $599, maybe not. And as for noise, my CG65 had plenty-o-noise in low light, so not sure there's much difference there, and my CG65 also loved to focus-hunt in low light, so that's pretty much the same too -- in fact, I gave up on autofocus within the first hour on both units, now I use manual or I use auto only until I get focus, then I lock focus with a flick of the joystick, otherwise autofocus indoors is very spotty on either unit. The one thing that annoys me more than anything since we discovered it, is that fact that the 640x480 mode actually has a wider field of view than the widescreen mode, which is just flat out STUPID. So, you're left with the choice of going lower res for a wider angle or higher res with a narrower angle (thank god it's not just cropped/zoomed though, cause clearly the higher res is actually higher res, just with a narrower field of view). Sanyo, are you listening? But back to low light, if you think the CG65 performs better in low light, I doubt it, not by much anyway, and when you make those comparisons, you should be running the HD700 in 640x480 mode for a better comparison. Anyway, those are my personal thoughts as someone who's owned both.
Taynt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:58 PM   #12

Seems to me that one of the advantages of a small digitial camera like the Xactis is the ability to put it into action quickly and without extra hassle. My CG65 seems to do fine "right out of the box' without changing anything. My guess is that the 700 could do as well with tweaking such as manual focus, manually setting ISO, IS off, etc, etc. For me, having to tweak everything sort of defeats one of the big advantages of a small camcorder.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:19 PM   #13

I can pull my HD700 out and just start shooting within seconds no problem. Same thing as my CG65 was, I honestly don't see much of a difference. My CG65 focus hunted just as bad as the HD700 did in low light, in daylight it was fine on both. Same, same. What I said was that IF you wanted more control, the HD700 had a lot more control. And by the way, I can easily tweak settings and then they'll stay that way such that I can just fip open the LCD and start shooting with those settings. So for example, if I'm indoors for a party all night, I can choose to lock aperture to 3.5 (most open), and leave it that way for the whole night with AUTO ISO running (or not, among other things). Also, the HD700 has a auto-everything button, so if you need to immediately override all settings, it's a button-push away.

I seriously wonder how many people that are opining on this topic have actually OWNED both cameras? If you haven't, then you probably shouldn't be chiming in on this conversation. And like I said before, for anyone who is comparing, they should be comparing the HD700's 640x480 mode against the CG65, not the HD modes, cause that will effect things like noise in low light (the HD mode will have more noise).

(That's not directed at anyone in particular, so don't take that comment the wrong way, I'm just saying if you haven't owned both, then you opinion doesn't help this thread out much, in fact it might confuse it.)
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:55 PM   #14

Taynt3d,......I think you said it all when you said the 700 probably wasn't ready for prime time.

Sanyo probably should be getting it right pretty soon. What is this, their third or fourth HD camcorder in the last few years? The HD 700 was my first one so I have no idea if it was an improvement over the earlier efforts.

Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:57 PM   #15

Although, the other thing I also said is equally as valid:

"name another hybrid that performs as well at that size?"

So, knock it all you want, but try to find something better. This is all about an expectations thing in my opinion. These cams do not replace consumer video cameras yet in terms of quality. But, they are still amazing nonetheless/
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:35 PM   #16

I haven't personally tried any other HD hybrids but I hear the Canon TX 1 does a pretty good job. It's their first effort in this field.

I agree completely that these small hybrids are amazing. They can be expected to get even better.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:43 AM   #17

Taynt3d wrote:
Quote:
Although, the other thing I also said is equally as valid:

"name another hybrid that performs as well at that size?"

So, knock it all you want, but try to find something better. This is all about an expectations thing in my opinion. These cams do not replace consumer video cameras yet in terms of quality. But, they are still amazing nonetheless/
My way of putting this is that all sorts of more specialized devices do each function of a PDA better than a PDA, but obviously that doesn't mean that PDA's are irrelevant products. Probably I shouldn't say this on a photography website, but there's a lot of snobbery in photography.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 6:04 AM   #18

One must give the Hybrid a chance. I would not think a company would toss such a expensive model into the croud, just to taketheir Money 300.00 or 600.00 plus. if it is a Economy or professional one.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote