Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with your HD 700?
Yes 4 66.67%
I'm disappointed in my HD 700 0 0%
I had one and sent it back 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 5, 2008, 6:59 PM   #1

I have flopped around like a fish on a table trying to decide if I like the results I've been getting from the HD 700. Frankly, I don't.

Sanyo, in my opinion, offers some great products and I really enjoyed my C5 and more recently my CG65. I wasn't in the market for an HD camera but the $300 deal at Amazon on the 700 seemed too good to pass up.

Well, I just don't see that the HD 700 offers much, frankly. The docking system makes little sense to me. The lens cap practically requires a screwdriver to get it off. The battery compartment is for the birds. I do really, really like the slider arm for zooming. It's much better than the CG65. The screen is okay though the display when taking stills is crazy.

All of the above would be okay if the video quality was better. I have tried every way to tweak the system from vivid to soft to changing ISO etc but finally asked myself why? The video I get from the CG65 is brighter, sharper and more colorful, indoors and outdoors. Yes, the HD 700 has a bigger picture.

I have not decided whether or not to return the HD 700 or give it to my son. My nature is not to return things but I'm seriously considering it. Perhaps this particular camera is defective in some way. In any case, I'll continue to enjoy my CG65 until a small HD model really offers an improvement. When a nice small HD model comes out, it will likely be a Sanyo. The HD 700 seems to be an interim step to me.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:39 PM   #2

I hear what you're saying.

My thoughts on sanyo:

1 lens cap it is strongly on easy t osnap on and stays on

2. screen wide and wow siwval needs 15 more degrees for a better angle.

3. square lens would have loved a rounded one, prefrence to wide angle.

4. Docking station tons of plug connection, but must have camcorder plugged in fo playback. camshould have its own like the dc plug.

5. Mic is sweet speaker is loud, female voice too low and they are only warningswhich should have been louder?

6. Small camcorder with excellent hand holding grip, camera straps wrong place always will be in the way, but great for neck straps, may cause a chocking haard if wrong strap used.

7. no optional attachments ofered, mic option be great lens options be great ( wide angle adaptor by Pheonix large) ( works well) Metal threaded tripod better than a plastic one

8. Door bands are nicley designed circular opening

9. many optional, and manual controls, ISO 36000 not on other models face chaser, scenic selections, no night mode. spot focus 9 point, manual focus push WB etc.

10. 720P 2 settings but not in 640, .movformat, no wmv format added in lower res.

11. 16:9 ratio photos a plus and photo while filming a delight. panaramic mode be a option would have loved to see it

12 in camera editing, if needed can edit when back with a ac plug , this leading to a double batter forextended life would have been perfect, aftermarket adapters will fit on dc plug.

13.ZOOM 5x optical pushing for 10 7x optical may have been the final touchs but 5x is more than ever to have.

14. CCD lens are always a smear with me, re angle or different lights will cause this. No *********s and light on Object works for me, low light works for me and bright lighting works for me

this list could go on and on. My Comments are not of complaints. i have repurchased and kept my model. color well brown may have been the better choice over Silver. Love to say i have paid no mre than I have gotten at the low price.for that i am thankful. even better i traded my older models for this and that makes

mine priceless

trying to become a better filmer,

paitience, relaxe, and allow longer shots for editing will get you great improvement

Thank you for taking the time to listen Fishy

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:35 PM   #3

I'm really glad you posted your HD 700 experience, Setter Dog. While I'm waiting to see the CG65 I ordered, I happened to look at the specs for the HD700 and see that they're selling on eBay for prices similar to the CG65. I was starting to think I'd made a dumb error in choosing the CG65. Now I can sleep at night:-)
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:48 PM   #4

I did a compare between the CG6 (cousin of your CG65) and the HD700 and frankly I feel the HD700 is much more of a camera for many of the same reasons Fishy pointed out. I returned the CG6 and kept the HD700 (brown). I videoed about 35 minutes of basketball this morning with the 700 (in two different gyms) the performance was great. I've videoed at night and it worked well. I did our entire Christmas morning with two camcorders -the HD700 and a JVC MiniDV-and the HD700 made the JVC video lookcheap/amateur.... And I once thought the JVC wasgood- gofigure.

The CG65 is smaller...I have to give it that. I agree the hd700 docking is old style. The doors to the battery and sd card aren't the best but in all practically work fine.

BTW, the lense cap comes off easily after you get used to it.

brian

blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:44 AM   #5
FLG

Sanyo rush HD700 to catch X-mas.I have too CG6 and HD700.By far CG6
beats HD700 in sharpness ,low light and color outdoor and indoor.
I can't believe Sanyo's engineers did not do some comparison tests with
all of their cameras.Proof is the new firmware for HD1000 which was posted in short time after camera was on the market.
Reading all other posts about HD700 is possible to have two batches of this model.One pretty good another one with many defects.Also the manufacturing was in other country ,China versus Indonesia for CG6, CG65.
Too many complaints here, on Amazon about the same problems with focus,low light, color, sharpness regarding HD700.
So is not only me which I tried all the tweaks possible to make this hybrid work.
Also is very suspicious why Amazon sold this at $300?Marketing ploy?
Probably having a wall of returns somebody come with a bright ideea -"Let's lower the price to 50% off MSRP and even the quality is not so good for many will be a bargain and will not be returned"
FLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:20 AM   #6

This cam came out around sept 2007? It had a suggested retail price of, guessing TOO HIGH and lowered down just a few dollars. then the holidays come, and off you the Best ever price on the market? and All one can think of is Something is wrong ,why are they offering it so low, I got to get one, and test it out till jan 31 2008, then I can return.

I guess if it is not in the Most expensive store for some, and had another name on it , the camcorder be perfect.

sanyo/ fisher price was not a high end company in the Olden times they were at the level of Panasonic/ technics low end, andwere not a camera company , were they (asking)?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:59 PM   #7

Isn't there some Sanyo rep that monitors this board? I remember seeing the posts from long ago. Would be interesting toget an opinion from Sanyo.

FLG- When I compared the CG6 and the HD700 the CG6 didn't compare. It video quality looked cinchy, especially after rendering the footage to DVD format. The AWB of the CG6 was screwy and the clarity was weak. Perhaps I got a good 700?????? As for updates it's common today. Our new Wii needed an update immediately before we could use it. Windows....daily. I'd love to see an update from Sanyo regarding some of the issues discovered with this camera (or other models).

b

blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:45 PM   #8

Blegate,....I think you may be right about the 700 needing an update. On the other hand, I have to wonder about Sanyo and the way they do business. They don't seem to learn from one model to the next about what features are good and which are not. On and off use of the docking system. S video connections on some models and not on others. The various devices they use to control zoom are curious. My C5 had a nice slider, the CG65 has an awkward rocker arm and the 700 once again has a slider. They even change the menu formats for no apparent reason. I also use Canon cameras and they are consistent about most things. It's almost like the various Xactis are made by different companies and then Sanyo puts it's name on them.

I will admit that I didn't do my homework before buying the 700 but I sure did read a lot of reviews and forum comments afterwards. It doesn't get very high marks and most of the poor comments are about the video quality,.....not the kind of nit picking stuff that I mention above.

I sure wanted to like the 700,........but I was wrong to think it was an improvement over my CG65.

If the Sanyo rep is looking in, I'd sure suggest that they test some of these products with users before putting them on the market with all the hype that they can't live up to,.........at least that the camera I had couldn't live up to. Sanyo should be in the drivers seat in the small hybrid market but instead they have several products out there, all trying to do the same thing, some coming close and others missing by a mile.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:48 PM   #9

I too was recently trying to decide between the CG6 and HD700 and, like Setter Dog, was disappointed in a number of things with the HD700. But, like blegate, I found the video of the HD700 so much better I ultimately decided to go with it over the CG6. The only time I found I got better results with the CG6 video was on automatic settings in low light - then the HD700's focus hunting would ruin the usual advantage it had (I now use it with manual focus in low light).

Now I don't know how different the CG65 video is from the CG6.Speaking just of the CG6,I think, subjectively, onecould prefer its video since it seems to use a warmer palette than the HD700 and to be generally higher in contrast. I don't personally find it more true to life and, for me, it lacks clarity compared to the HD700 which goes beyond the difference in resolution.

But a lot of the differences do come down to personal preference. For instance, I greatly prefer the rocker zoom to the slider zoom (for any Sanyo rep listening in). In any case, I'm keeping the HD700 for now, but if something sounds good coming out of CES this week - like a Canon TX2 with ergonomics more like the Xactis - I might send my Sanyoback to Amazon and wait for the next pocketable hybrid.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:33 PM   #10

I had a A-HD briefly. I must admit that colors on that were very saturated. Looked pretty. Made it hard to adjust to the HD700's colors. The HD 700's are more true to life IMO (though I keep it set at vivid).

I am satisfied with the outdoor stills with this camera. I bought a Fuji 40fd at Amazon for $127 (after $50 rebate) for low light indoor shots. The Fuji also has a powerful flash that after at least 20 pictures I have not had even a hint of red eye. The camera also has a setting that takes two photos, one with and one without flash.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote