Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:26 AM   #11
Administrator

Interesting thread.

Out of curiosity, have any of the PS3 owners here tried to run Yellow Dog Linux on one, and used it for things like burning and playback instead of Sony's default operating system?

The PS3 seems like a very interesting "box", since you have the option of running Sony's proprietary software, or a Linux based operating system.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:29 AM   #12

Rev2010 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, I too tried pressing the "Option" (triangle) button and it didn't give me any display all option. Man, it sure would be nice if it did as it kinda sucks having to remember to put the files into the "Video" folder everytime I transfer. No biggy though.
Well may be my PS3 is different.

It works for me, with SD card or external harddisk.
celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:03 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity, have any of the PS3 owners here tried to run Yellow Dog Linux on one, and used it for things like burning and playback instead of Sony's default operating system?
As far as I know, Sony does not give the "foreign" OS full access to the hardware; in particular, Linux does not get access to the GPU and I assume this has an effect on how well you can playback H.264 for example.

I've heard the rationale for that is the PS3 like all game consoles are sold either at-cost or at a loss, with game sales making up the balance, so Sony doesn't want unofficial (Linux) games to run on the PS3 as it might affect their regular PS3 game sales.
jbeale is offline   Reply With Quote