Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 8, 2008, 5:27 AM   #1

I read in several posts here about burning hi-def files on DVD and playing them using a PS3.
I have read somewere else, that blue ray discs now outnumber HD discs, and that a great number of blue ray disk players are actually PS3s. I am not into video gaming myself, but now I therefore checked the Swedish prices for PS3s and blue ray disk players, and the latter were not less pricey than the former, nor could they record.

Now I wonder -did I get this right: one can with the proper burning program burn high resolution video on an "old fashioned" disc and burner and then watch this hi-def video using a PS3 for play back???

Sorry, I had intended this to end up in the Xacti HD1000 forum. I see no way of deleting this topic myself, so I would like a moderator or administrator to do that. Thanks in advance. I'll try to repost on the HD1000 forum.
Big Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:36 PM   #2

ps3 will only play mpeg2 files. It wont play h.264 which is what HD1000 uses. You'd have to transcode your files to mpeg2 first and save them on DVD and put in ps3. Personally, I hate the whole having to reencode stuff just to play them on a certain machine. I think you are better off burning them onto a regular DVD as is and wait for a few players that will support h.264 format.

I dont have time to reformat stuff and honestly, I dont want several different copies of a file. HD is already hard drive consuming as it is, why make copies of every file just so you can watch it on something else.

Also Mpeg2 files will bebigger than h.264.So if u have a 50mb h.264 file, when you convert it to mpeg2, the size will most likely tripple in order to retain same quality.You decide!
helriser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 2:53 PM   #3

"ps3 will only play mpeg2 files. It wont play h.264 which is what HD1000 uses"

This is incorrect. The PS3 *does* play AVC, HDV, DivX, and many otherfiles. In my research on the HD1000 I have downloaded many clips taken with the HD1000 in both 720/60p and 1080i and put the MP4 files onto a USB stick and they played perfectly without a hitch on my PS3. It displays the format as AVC H.264.I've also played DivX files and a number of other formats.

So yes, the PS3 will play the HD1000 files right off the bat.

Rev.

*EDIT - Just realized something... if you're putting these files on the PS3 you have to make sure the video files are in a folder called Video or the files won't show up. If you make a video folder and put the MP4's in there they will show and play fine.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:04 AM   #4

I have HD720, not HD1000 but I think the recorded files are the same.

I can confirm that PS3 does play HD1000/HD720 files straight as file form with no conversion whatsoever. You can alos burn the files onto a DVD and PS3 will play happily.

My intention is to keep all the recorde files in PS3, and may be in a years time software and BD burner will be available and cheap enough so I can make a playable BD video to be played in any BD player other than PS3. In other words I am relying/anticipating on future technology.

Also, you do not have to put them in a video folder. You can put your SD card (out of HD1000/720) into PS3, when it comes to USB device, press triagle, choose displau all and it will find the playable files.

If I remember correctly, I burn a .mp4 file from HD720 onto the root of DVD and PS3 sees that straight away, without having to do the display all procedure.

celsius2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:08 AM   #5

I also like to add that editing video within the camera is the best way, like joing all the video clips into one video file.

I have tried many software to do the joining in PC, they either took too long or could not do the job.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:41 AM   #6

Hm, I cannot see the video files on the SD card. I insert it in the SC card slot of the PS3.
When I scroll thru the menu e.g. to pictures and select the SD card, I can see the pics that I have taken with the HD1000.
If I scroll to video and select SD card, it says no files?

Am I doing something wrong? I have Firmware 2.01 on my PS3

mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:50 AM   #7

As I mentioned, the PS3 won't see them right off the bat unless they are in a folder called VIDEO. But, as Celsius mentioned if you press the triangle button and choose Display All it will show them. I've not tried that yet but thanks for the info Celsius!

One last thing... if you put your videos into the VIDEO folder (remember - VIDEO not VIDEOS) and still don't see them try updating your PS3 firmware. I have no idea what the current version is so I can't say if you are up to date or not but that would be the only other thing. Best of luck.

Rev.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 7:02 AM   #8

celsius2 wrote:
Quote:
Also, you do not have to put them in a video folder. You can put your SD card (out of HD1000/720) into PS3, when it comes to USB device (in a 40G PS3, or SD card in a 60/80G), press triagle, choose display all and it will find the playable files.
Have you tried that?

Of course your files have to be playable in PS3, otherwise you will not see it.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:03 AM   #9

Thanks for the help, now I can watch them on my PS3. I had to create the video folder. But I also had to put the clips in this folder. Leaving them in the normal folder, wont show them on my PS3, even if I use the triangel function.

mosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:03 AM   #10

Yeah, I too tried pressing the "Option" (triangle) button and it didn't give me any display all option. Man, it sure would be nice if it did as it kinda sucks having to remember to put the files into the "Video" folder everytime I transfer. No biggy though.