Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:13 AM   #1

I've been lurking on this forum for some months now trying to decide whether this is the cam. for me. The main thread on the HD1000 is now so large that I can't find anything on it, so sorry if this has been dealt with before.
The respected UK reviewer, Colin Barratt, gave the HD1000 a sparkling write-up, except for his inability to edit Sanyo's AVCHD on either his Windows or Mac platforms. He surmised that this might be because of his PAL & 50fps set-up. Has anyone had any success in the PAL world ? This seems to be my last remaining barrier to buying it.

Ray
rayhopper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:21 AM   #2

The HD1000 works fine in the PAL world, its the frame rate that is the problem. PAL is 25fps or 50fps and NTSC is 30fps and 60fps. Its not really a problem to be honest as the clips will play fine when played through the camera (connected to the tv) and even if you want you can burn the files to DVD in NTSC format that nearly all DVD players today support. You can also play the files on your pc too.

A quick note is that there is an option on the camera to select PAL or NTSC for video output but this does not affect the recording frame rate.

Hope that helps.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but sorry, it seems to me that it IS really a problem if you want to do some editing, in my case using my iMac and preferably iMovie.

Ray
Old Feb 14, 2008, 3:36 AM   #4

All editing programs allow you to choose between PAL and NTSC, I am in a PAL country and can edit no problem.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:24 AM   #5

Hmm...even more confused than I was! I've only dabbled with digicam. clips previously.

Jessops allowed me to capture a few minutes of footage and a couple of JPegs on to my SDHC card. From my SDHC card reader iMovie recognises the file but there's no picture except a blank greenish screen, but playing sound OK. Colin Barratt's article mentioned difficulties with both his Mac and PC. But you have no difficulty - what are we doing differently ?

However, however, however.......I've been reading up madly for the last 24hrs, and am re-defining my requirements, as I want to use the HD1000 as my only HD video player, and I understand that you cannot edit AVCHD and then pass the edited file back to the camera, as it will then be in a different format. Am I correct ? I also want to avoid rendering as much as possible. So presumably I need to edit in camera as much as possible, in which case a few questions...

1.Is topping, tailing and splitting clips easy in camera?
2. Are transitions available ?
3. For titling or captioning is there a text editor, or alternatively can an externally prepared JPeg be used.?
4. Can stills be inserted into the video stream, and if so can they replace video (ie J or L cuts).?
5. Can a second sound track be added ?
6. Finally, I know it is simple to store unedited footage on an external HD. Does the same apply to in-camera edited footage ?

Don't want to burden you, so if you're short of time can you point me to answers elsewhere ?

Many thanks for answers so far.

Ray
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:07 AM   #6

the reason you are getting a green screen is probably because you dont have the codecs required installed on you machine. try download klite codec pack.

You can only edit the clips or photos on the camera if you want to play them through the camera. Editing on the camera is very limited, cutting and joining clips is very easy but no transitions, text or extra sound tracks etc. No stills can be added to a video clip.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 7:40 PM   #7

Thanks for reply again. That was a wasted day's thinking !

You didn't answer one query which is now the crucial one - am I right that externally edited footage cannot then be transferred back to the HD1000, via an SD card or whatever, so that it can be used as an HD player.

Ray
Old Feb 15, 2008, 3:40 AM   #8

Any editing done to the files externally will render them unplayable on the camera.