Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1

Hello all,

I recently got an HV10 as I was planning. However, I dont think I'm completely satisfied because the main reason was to record my kids and well, they are always moving around and in all the vids I've done so far, there are considerable amounts of motion blur all over. The picture is great as long as it's slow to no motion, but the moment they start running around and I try to follow, the picture falls apart.

I hear shooting in 72060p drastically reduces motion blur which is what the HD sports channel shoots in. So now I'm thinking about getting rid of my HV10 to get a HD1000. I just would like to know from current owners of the HD1000 and perhaps those who also own or have owned an HV10 to do a low light comparison.

Quite honestly, the HV10 is very sharp as long as there's plenty of light. The moment light is medium, picture quality tanks drastically to the point where I dont even bother to shoot indoors at night any more unless I put a 200 WATTS light bulb before shooting. I'm not exagerating. Shooting with a 100Watts bulb introduces a lot of blue noise into the picture and I like my hd picture clean.

So, how good or bad is the HD1000 in low light? Would it be around same as HV10 based on my experiences above or would it be better?

Thanks in advance for replies!
helriser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:51 PM   #2

please some one reply to my topic. I'm not asking for something complex. I know some of you have had experience with the HV10.

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:51 PM   #3

please some one reply to my topic. I'm not asking for something complex. I know some of you have had experience with the HV10.

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:49 AM   #4

Hi Helriser. I purchased my HD1000 this past Thursday and have been messing with it non-stop. As far as the question about motion - yes, the HD1000 when shooting in 720 60p the motion is excellent. It's the closest I've seen to real life fluidity from any consumer camcorder so far. I wish the HD1000 would shoot some form of progressive (30p or 60p) in 1080 but it doesn't. So yes, if you're mainly concerned with motion then the HD1000 should make you very happy. I've tested it with my dogs that are always running around and on cars driving by and the smoothness is excellent and freeze framing often lends a good picture with less amounts of motion blur. I bought my camera to shoot in 1080 though so after a few tests in 60p just for curiosity I went back to 1080 as the picture quality is a bit better.

In response to your low light question... despite all the reviews I've read citing poor low light performance my wife and I think it's actually not bad at all. We've shot indoors at night under standard 60watt bulbs (I don't like uber bright 100watt bulbs) and the footage was quite good. All consumer camera's will not perform as well in lower light but compared to my Canon Elura 60 DV cam the low light image is even better. It's not great by any means but it's certainlypleasing enough to view and not have to avoid shooting indoors.

I'm pretty certain I will be returning my HD1000 though as the biggest issue I have with it is how it handles blacks. Blacks are flat black with no detail in them - except under very bright light/sunny conditions. I've read some other complain about this.Even on a cloudy day areas that are lightly shaded generally show as much darker than they are. My dogs are mini-pinschers and are black and tan and when filming them they're almost always solid black. I did a test this morning where I recorded seperate clips each with a different setting (exposure, high sensitivity, different scene selections, etc) to see if any helped and none did. I also would like a sharper picture. For high definition a lot of the video looks like jpeg images with waytoo much compression. I guess that is likely due to the somewhatlow12mbps?

I absolutely love how small the camera is and how simple it is to pop the SD card into my PS3 and play the videos but I'm the kinda of person that feels spending more is worth it to "get what I want and get it over with". SoI think I'm going to hold out till the Canon HF100 comes out as that camera will also do 30p. While messing around with editing I found that re-rendering goes a good amount quicker on progressive material than on interlaced so that's a plus. It also is listed as 17mbps bitrate, however...the CMOS will be smaller on the Canon.Anyhow, best of luck.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:57 PM   #5

*Update - As of today I've determined I will be keeping my HD1000 as I've figured out how to fix the black issue I mentioned in my last post. I've created a shorcut in the camera for Exposure Compensation and when recording indoors under my not so bright 60watt bulbs I've found that putting the exposure all the way up -value of+1.8- it shows all the detail in the blacks that I didn't have before. It creates a brighter and more pleasing image with less of the compression artifacts I mentioned earlier. So now that I've figured that out I am very happy as that was my biggest annoyance being my beloved dogs are black. Add to that the thought of just having one 16gb card and bringing along a small external hard drive (they're tiny these days) to dump my recordings to makes for a very inexpensive way to record tons of video without having to spend more onnumerous SD cards.:-)

Rev.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:09 AM   #6

Rev, thanks a bunch. You just made my day. I guess I will be getting an HD1000 than. Because if you are right, it sounds like not only will it beat my HV10 in motion blur, but also in low light (a lot of blue noise) which is a plus plus for me. Glad you found how to fix the color issue as that was going to be a deal breaker for me as well.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 7:50 AM   #7

Yeah, adjusting the exposure value makes indoor shooting look so much better, just much more natural as things don't look so dark.As I've mentioned my dogs are black and prior to adjusting the EV they showed up on video as pitch black with no real detail in the sheen of their fur and such. After adjusting the EV up high the difference was incredible. All the detail in their furs sheen was easily seen on tape. It was much more like the waymy eyes see them.

Keep in mind if you turn the EV all the way up to +1.8 the camera in some circumstances (mainlywhen filming really close up to something)will focus hunt a bit but I found if you simply point it at something else, let it regain focus, and then turn back it works well to resolve any hunting issue.

As for motion blur... this camera is simply amazing in 720 60p! I've feeze framed fast camera movementsand the image is sharp and free of blur. I was surprised actually cause I wouldn't expect a freeze framed image in fast motion to be so absent of blur. I just wish I could film in 1080 30p or 60p :-)

Rev.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:07 PM   #8

I'm also very happy with my HD1000 except for low light situation indoor (especially the slow auto focus). I got this instead of playing with the exposure settings.

http://www.buy.com/prod/sima-sl-20lx...06494457.html#

Unit is very light and fairly compact. The color temp is a bit on the cool side (~4500) so I may need to see if I can adjust for it.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote